Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

matt wrote:
If you have surgery and don't wake up, you die

Normal to wake up AFTER surgery, not DURING surgery.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:11 pm

I have a scary reaction initially to novocaine, shortly after the shot (rapid heartbeat, feel like I'm paralyzed in the throat) but it subsides and then I am ok .. I obviously overreact to it and have told dentists I am allergic (I sometimes also get migraines afterward) and was told I can't be. people can be allergic to anything! I'm very over sensitive to medication and am always terrified to take anything new, even vitamins. I get panic attacks easily and at this point I almost cannot separate anxiety caused actually by the medication vs. psychological (fear of taking medication).

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

My mouth worked better, before insurance paid for my make-work. IMHO, if there are no discernible, health, or mechanical issues, it's not broken and shouldn't be fixed.

(I wore white shorts and a white shirt to see what would happen.)

I could see all the tools, which were about to be used on me. The doctor told me to count down from 100, but I stopped him before he stuck in the syringe. I asked how long it takes, he said most people don't make it to 97, but someone has gone as long as 86. I counted all the way down. Heard him whisper to add more, in slightly increasing implements, but watch my vitals. I was awake or partially awake through my entire sodium pentathol treatment, while removing healthy, ankylost, and wisdom teeth. The billing statement also included an amnesia inducing drug and a pain killer.

To me, it would make sense, to use the least amount of anesthetic necessary. My family should be so polite as this doctor. But, the numbers he gave me led me to believe I had an unexpected tolerance.

I was not confused, coming out of it, either. I specifically told my family not to worry. I loved them and was not in pain. They acted as though I was foolish. I knew my mouth was packed with wadding, believed they would not understand me, wrote the same thing legibly, was treated as though I was trying too hard. (This is the stock answer for when you're not doing anything wrong, but they still win.)

matt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
matt wrote:
If you have surgery and don't wake up, you die

Normal to wake up AFTER surgery, not DURING surgery.
I had the fear that if I was asleep during surgery I would become aware and be able to feel pain, so I had surgery when I was awake.

The anesthetic did start wearing off anyway, and I had to tell them twice to increase it. Being awake meant that I had sensation for an amount of time slightly shorter than I would have if I had been asleep and had awaken in pain. I believe the fact that I was awake caused complications that would not have occurred if I had been asleep. Those complications lasted for months.

But when I have had surgery after that, I have been knocked out, and have not awaken, and have not had complications.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

I like to know what they are doing:

'And now we will retract the gums.'

Fact.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:58 pm

When I get administered nitrous oxide I feel good but I have weird hallucinations and hear weird music kind of like a mixture of trance and primus and the dentist was wearing a toga and had 3 eyes the walls mouths opened up and went ahhh very strange indeed.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList