Diagnosed with autism, but where could I be on the spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

c700
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2015, 4:09 pm

So far, the only thing my psychiatrist told me is that I have a developmental disorder, and that I'm on the autistic spectrum. He's currently referring me to an autism research center.

I have been diagnosed with autism by another psychiatrist.

I'm currently residing in a neuropsychiatric clinic by the way, and posting this via 4G Internet.

Here are some of the symptoms commonly associated with low functioning autism I seem to show. However, I'm more or less "high functioning" otherwise. Where do you think I could be on the autism spectrum based on all that? Can you relate?

-speech delay

-delayed echolalia, usually from TV, movies, videos, etc.

-repetitive question asking (the nurses told me that I'm bothering them a lot with these)

-perseveration (talking about the same thing all the time, and converging towards the same topics of conversations)

-slapping my face and rolling around in the bed (stimming), while making loud animal-like sounds

-huge tantrums with self-harm, where I bang my head against the wall, pull my hair, punch my head, bite my arms etc.

-self-care skills delay - couldn't dress myself fully until the age of ~13, couldn't take showers until 14, and still it's very hard to dress on my own, and I'm unable to live independently at the current age of 19; can't manage my finances, go to the store and buy food for myself, can't cook, etc.

-often not responding to my name, this was worse when I was younger

-unable to follow instructions

-various IQ subtests are in the borderline ret*d or ret*d range, others broke the test's ceilings

Where do you believe I am on the spectrum? I have no idea personally. Am I low functioning? High functioning? Moderately functioning? Oh and also, the psychiatric nurse I often talk to told me that I don't really communicate despite being able to talk. I only "speak to listen myself talk", as she said. Oh, and also, I can't even communicate properly with my parents. It's hard to remember even an hour without me swearing at them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 5:14 pm

You are c700 Functioning.

Also, why are you being referred to an autism research center if you've already been diagnosed?

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2015, 5:41 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about what you have. If it bothers you that much, ask the person who diagnosed you or someone who can check for you. I don't really know where I fall on the spectrum either. I've been told I just have "autistic disorder" when I've asked people who have dealt with my case. I know I don't have Asperger Synfrome, and I do have a LOT of HFA symptoms, but HFA isn't an official diagnosis. I had language delays and didn't speak until about four or five. All I know is that my autism varies between mild and moderate at times, depending on my mood.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 6:03 pm

"Functioning levels" are widely seen as archaic and outdated now.

Determining exactly "where you are on the spectrum" is both impossible and counter-productive. All people are different, and that includes autistic people. Our symptoms aren't necessarily equal in severity. Work out what skills you have and what difficulties you have rather than trying to fit yourself into a neat category.

c700
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2015, 4:30 am

starkid wrote:
You are c700 Functioning.

Also, why are you being referred to an autism research center if you've already been diagnosed?

I'm being referred to an autism research center because, as I was told, they're better at referring people to various programs, such as those targeting self-care skill improvement (the skills which I lack and never properly developed).

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

05 May 2015, 7:09 pm

I would say you would currently be at the ASD Severity Level II in the DSM V. Level II is where you need more support than someone in level I , but don't need the "very substantial support" required for those who are level III. I say you are level II because you live in a clinic, had a lot of adaptive skill problems, and have incoherent IQ test scores that shows some level of disability. But it may be possible for you to improve to level I- because a lot of autistics improve in their functioning as they become more accustomed to adult life.