Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2012, 2:00 am

I have a problem, I go to a school for kids with autism. My class is mostly aspies. Well is supposted to be anyway. All my class mates are either so low funcioning they drool or just plain anoying. I have countless learning disabliltys yet I am able to comuicate pretty well, speak well and stuff like that. I am to high functioning to be specail ed yet I am to specail ed to be normal. I couldn't ever be in a normal 10th grade class because I read, do math and understand written info like a 5th grader. I don't even like school anymore because I don't do any produtive work and my class mates anoy the CRAP out of me! It's hard to think when the kid next to you scratches himself if you know what I mean, drools, picks his nose, talks to himself ( not in a real langue), jumps in his chair and laughs all day. I can't hear my own thoughts! It drives me insane!! !! I am so mad because this has been going on for 2 years now. I never passed freshman year and now I am supposed to be in 10th grade, but guess what? I am at the level of a 5th grader!! Not sure what to do. Maybe a public school would be better??

bornlie
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2012, 2:16 am

Kaelynn wrote:
I have a problem, I go to a school for kids with autism. My class is mostly aspies. Well is supposted to be anyway. All my class mates are either so low funcioning they drool or just plain anoying. I have countless learning disabliltys yet I am able to comuicate pretty well, speak well and stuff like that. I am to high functioning to be specail ed yet I am to specail ed to be normal. I couldn't ever be in a normal 10th grade class because I read, do math and understand written info like a 5th grader. I don't even like school anymore because I don't do any produtive work and my class mates anoy the CRAP out of me! It's hard to think when the kid next to you scratches himself if you know what I mean, drools, picks his nose, talks to himself ( not in a real langue), jumps in his chair and laughs all day. I can't hear my own thoughts! It drives me insane!! !! I am so mad because this has been going on for 2 years now. I never passed freshman year and now I am supposed to be in 10th grade, but guess what? I am at the level of a 5th grader!! Not sure what to do. Maybe a public school would be better??

Did you mean "special ed"?

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:31 am

I do not think you belong in a special needs class. Demand to be placed in a regular 10th grade class, horrible that the restrict you to a class like that. How long have you been in special needs anyways?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 3:56 am

I know exactly how your feeling I got put into special ed without being explained why in 2nd grade. I hated school since then

I would spend most of the time just staring at the wall becuase there was nothing to do but 1st grade level busywork while the 4 teachers sat in the back of the room and talked to each other all day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:15 am

I'm go glad my parents got me out of there when I was eight and put me in a classroom with normal kids. I was in special ed full time due to "multiple handicaps" I had. but back when I was in that class, I didn't know any better so I didn't know how much it as holding me back and I thought that was what school was like for everyone. But I couldn't understand why things in other classrooms were different and so was their school work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 8:59 am

You probably could be in mainstream classes with a teacher aide and different assignments from everyone else. Special ed is supposed to be for the kids who either are too disruptive in behavior to be in a regular class, or who can't handle being in a regular classroom due to issues like overload and such. Special learning needs can usually be accommodated in a mainstream class.

Plus, maybe you'd pick up some stuff by listening in to the 10th grade lectures, even if you can't perform at that level yourself.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

DVCal wrote:
I do not think you belong in a special needs class. Demand to be placed in a regular 10th grade class, horrible that the restrict you to a class like that. How long have you been in special needs anyways?
OP mentions she is far behind her age group in some major subjects--a regular 10th grade couldn't accommodate for that, and putting her in a 5th grade class wouldn't help because the teaching styles would be tailored for ten-year-old NTs.

The problem here is that the special ed class you're in is also not meeting your needs. You need peace and quiet to study; you don't need help communicating or doing basic ADLs; the other students are distracting you to the point that you cannot take advantage of your education. Who in your family, or at your school, is somebody you can talk to about this? Legally, they have to provide an environment where you can learn. Being constantly distracted in a chaotic special ed classroom--even if it's a classroom for autistic people--can't be helpful for you. Possibly, some of the other students are having the same problem (and--you say they are not as good at communicating as you are--they may not be able to articulate it as well as you can).

Find someone who will listen to you. Parent, teacher, mentor--heck, talk to the janitor or the secretary or the school nurse, if they'll help you find somebody who can change things. You want to learn, but you're in a classroom where you're constantly distracted by your classmates' fidgeting. Since your classmates are probably going to fidget no matter what they do, you need a quiet place of your own, maybe a different classroom or a small cubicle of your own in your current classroom. If you don't have that, you can't concentrate, you get stressed out, and your education suffers.

If you have trouble communicating in words, try writing it down and handing that to whoever you're trying to talk to, get them to read it and ask questions. Ask for what you need, specifically: You want to learn useful things instead of doing busywork. You want a distraction-free environment. If they say you can't have something, you want to know why. See if you can get at least one adult on your side--they often don't listen to teenagers, just because you're not adults yet, which is stupid but unfortunately true. You want an education; they're placing barriers in your way, and they need to address these problems instead of just assuming all autistic people can be taught the same way.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com