Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm

sbarne3 wrote:
Agreed... entropy in the universe is increasing... the opposite of what you would expect according to theory of evolution

Si_82 wrote:
I assume you are one of the great many people who fundamentally misunderstand the distinction between the two very different uses of the word 'theory'. One is the common usage (i.e. some blokes idea - scientifically known as an hypothesis) and the scientific usage (peer reviewed, carefully researched, tested and evedinced - what the layperson would call a 'fact').
A theory is still a theory no matter how you slice it. Just because something is peer reviewed, etc doesn't make it a fact.
We used to think the Earth was flat and the scientists at the time agreed, but obviously they were wrong. The only difference was that theory could be empirically verified. The origin of the universe cannot since none of us were here to witness it.
Oh and the word is spelled "evidenced" not "evedinced" btw
Si_82 wrote:
It astounds me that people continue to fail to understand this (or pretend to in order to promote a silly bronze-age myth).

We're just having a intelligent discussion. I didn't insult your belief so there is no need to insult mine.
Si_82 wrote:
The entropy argument is also just as frustratingly ridiculous. By that deeply flawed logic I could argue against the formation of organised religion or businesses or firendships or..well, you get my point I hope.

Actually I don't get your point. Entropy means that a closed system left alone will naturally go from order to disorder (not the other way around). Your examples of organized religion, businesses and friendships don't apply hear because you have intelligence acting upon them to bring them to order. Leave them alone though and they will definitely become disorderly.

Also the word is spelled "organized" not "organised"
and it's "friendships" not "firendships"

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 12:56 pm

NTs can get ill too.

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 1:23 pm

Joe90 wrote:
NTs can get ill too.

Agreed. My brother has moderate autism but is physically healthy, just gets the common cold every now and then.

neecerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2012, 1:44 pm

sbarne3 wrote:

It may be spelled organized in Texas, but in the UK (you know where English came from....;) ) its spelt organised. SI-82 lives there, thus its not incorrect at all!

And honestly, are we going after typos now? so petty.

Last edited by neecerie on 06 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 1:46 pm

I used to pity myself and think why did I have to have this cognition, why can't I be normal? Now I don't care anymore. I think I am normal.

Also lot of people here embrace their condition and don't want a cure and I think the "self pity" you are talking about is their frustrations about their condition and lack of understanding from people. Yes there are some here who don't like having it and wished they didn't have it and I see at least one person here who complains about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 1:53 pm

neecerie wrote:
It may be spelled organized in Texas, but in the UK (you know where English came from....;) ) its spelt organised. SI-82 lives there, thus its not incorrect at all!

I stand corrected... :)
neecerie wrote:

Normally I overlook them, but there was a point to it in this case.
SI-82 was trying to imply a lack of intelligence on my part so I was wanted to let him know that such careless implications could easily be applied to him as well.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

the reason the entropy argument is invalid is because as you said entropy in a closed system increases, that in turn means it is only valid when looking at the universe as a whole(in any realistic argument, in idealizied thought eperiments it can indeed function on anarbitrary scale).

the system of evolution and life on earth simply has far too many ways of gathering and concentrating energy to form life, in a way that is excactly what life is,

your entropy argument would mean that one wouldnt be able to build a sand castle, but one clearly can, the sand castle isnt a closed system so it is possible, it isnt inteeligence that makes it possible, if a creature with a shell shaped like a sand castle buried itself it would make just as complex a pattern, depending on design of said sandcastle this probably already happens.

as for your arguments about a scientific theory, per defintion wrong,

Quote:
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.[3] This is significantly different from the word "theory" in common usage, which implies that something is unproven or speculative.[5]

theory is fact in the scientific realm, any new theory would still have to account for the actions explained by the old,
the real issue here is that you try to use thee meanings from common language when that in fact is catagorically wrong since the terminology is scientific.

by that logic one could make anything into anything and then one enters the realm of mental masturbation.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

sbarne3 wrote:
neecerie wrote:

I stand corrected... :)
neecerie wrote:

Normally I overlook them, but there was a point to it in this case.
SI-82 was trying to imply a lack of intelligence on my part so I was wanted to let him know that such careless implications could easily be applied to him as well.

Let's not go there, shall we? It is not against WP rules to pick apart the ideas of others. We've all got to learn not to take it personally.

By the way, sbarne3, in your post above you used the word "hear" where it should have been "here," so that kind of thing could go round and round until somebody ends up breaking the rules. Attacking ideas is not against the rules. Attacking members is. SI-82 didn't attack you he attacked an idea. As you said yourself, you're just having a discussion.

Let's just keep it that way.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2012, 2:36 pm

Sometimes I feel bad... but not usually for myself. My parents always taught me that everyone else were the ones with the problems, not me. So I kind of have this lonely sense of superiority over others (NTs). Although when I meet a super smart NT, complete with stellar social skills, it makes me want to hide in my basement... :oops:

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 2:41 pm

MrXxx wrote:
By the way, sbarne3, in your post above you used the word "hear" where it should have been "here,"

I did? Which post?
MrXxx wrote:
SI-82 didn't attack you he attacked an idea.

Actually he attacked both
MrXxx wrote:
As you said yourself, you're just having a discussion.

Let's just keep it that way.

definitely trying to keep it that way... :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:51 pm

sbarne3 wrote:

Glad to hear it.

As for the rest of your reply to me, 1) it's there if you care to look for it (unless you've already corrected it :P ), and 2) From my perspective he did not attack you personally. If you're seing that he did, PM me with the specifics, and we'll sort it out there. Not here. 8)

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:58 pm

I don't want to be 'normal' but that doesn't make my life any better, so I am not going to walk around pretending to be happy or faking that I have a totally positive outlook when I don't. Even so I am trying to work on just making the best of it more or less and figuring out what to do with myself in life or something I have to admit though there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to....so yeah even when trying to make the best of it I can't escape the reality or what feels like the reality. Anyways, I think everyone pities them-self at some time or another, such as when they get broken up with by their girlfriend/boyfriend.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

neecerie wrote:
sbarne3 wrote:

In fact, I refuse to put a ZEE in anything. :lol:

But look, everywhere is different, colour makes more sense to me without a U - can we really say who or what is right?

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

MrXxx wrote:
sbarne3 wrote:

Glad to hear it.

As for the rest of your reply to me, 1) it's there if you care to look for it (unless you've already corrected it :P ), and 2) From my perspective he did not attack you personally. If you're seing that he did, PM me with the specifics, and we'll sort it out there. Not here. 8)

That's good enough for me... I probably just took it the wrong way (what with all my mind blindness and all... :wink: )
Honestly though I still don't see where I even used the word "hear" (or "here" for that matter)... lol

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:15 pm

Dizzee wrote:
I don't see a reason for that, based on post's on this site so many people wish they were normal, well but the point is you never will be! You are born this way! Do you wanna live in a world where all people are perfect and healthy? Not gonna happen, It's part of the evolution. People who are weaker should not suck up to others but live in their own way.

Wishing you were born 'normal' or didn't have AS is not pitying yourself. If people do this, they are being human, the grass is always greener. Having AS also doesn't mean you are weaker. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses autistic or NT. Not sure what on earth you mean by
Quote:
It's part of the evolution.

Humans all pity themselves at some time or another, whether they are on the spectrum or not. Just complaining about the bad day you've had, your awful boss, your naughty children is pitying yourself to a degree.

If you are talking about people in the Haven, try having a bit of sympathy. People post there when they are very low and should not be condemned.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

Oodain wrote:
the reason the entropy argument is invalid is because as you said entropy in a closed system increases, that in turn means it is only valid when looking at the universe as a whole(in any realistic argument, in idealizied thought eperiments it can indeed function on anarbitrary scale).

the system of evolution and life on earth simply has far too many ways of gathering and concentrating energy to form life, in a way that is excactly what life is,

Yes, the second law of thermodynamics does state "closed systems", but the principle could be applied equally as well to open systems. If raw energy is applied to an open system (i.e. a bull in a china shop) then it definitely tends towards chaos (not order). The only way to counteract this tendency is to insert intelligence into the mix. There are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics.
Oodain wrote:
your entropy argument would mean that one wouldnt be able to build a sand castle, but one clearly can, the sand castle isnt a closed system so it is possible, it isnt inteeligence that makes it possible, if a creature with a shell shaped like a sand castle buried itself it would make just as complex a pattern, depending on design of said sandcastle this probably already happens.

Sure... I can build a sandcastle... using my intelligence. As far as the creature with a shell example... that's not the same thing. That sandcastle shape would be a random pattern found in nature... not an actual sandcastle.

Oodain wrote:
as for your arguments about a scientific theory, per defintion wrong,
Quote:
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.[3] This is significantly different from the word "theory" in common usage, which implies that something is unproven or speculative.[5]

theory is fact in the scientific realm, any new theory would still have to account for the actions explained by the old,
the real issue here is that you try to use thee meanings from common language when that in fact is catagorically wrong since the terminology is scientific.

by that logic one could make anything into anything and then one enters the realm of mental masturbation.

I see your point and I should have been clearer with mine... which was that I find it pretty arrogant that scientists feel that they can call something fact that cannot be empirically proven.
Both sides are guilty of making assumptions and then twisting the evidence around to fit those assumptions