Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2012, 5:41 pm

I asked him to do the tests and here are the scores:

Autism Quotient - 36
Empathy Quotient - 12
Systemizing Quotient - 38
"Aspie Quiz" - 'Your Aspie score: 135 out of 200'
Intelligence Quotient - approx. 125-135 (not an official IQ test, but taken various online ones, which I am aware are generally not to be trusted)

I am writing regarding a family member of mine, and for various reasons it is not appropriate at this time to seek a professional diagnosis. The person in question is male, aged twenty-two, has never been fond of socializing, though does not feel "unable to analyze social situations & protocols, or people's facial expressions/intentions". Always very awkward socially, even around family members at times, though can be at times be oddly gregarious . Anxiety in general everyday activities. Fidgets. As a child he was prone to frustration in social situations, at times paranoia, and did on occasions get into fights (mostly verbal) with kids, have outbursts etc. Suffers from irregular sleep patterns and poor quality of sleep, refers to "racing thoughts". Has shown excellent capability at times in subjects of even mild-interest, but for subjects that he would deem uninteresting shows a compete lack of ability to retain related information even if willing to try. Generally uncomfortable with touch unless a close member of family. Meticulous when it comes to diet, eats very healthily and tracks the various mineral intakes in the day. As a child was always interested in high-rise structures & town planning. Never particularly excelled in any academic subject, though teachers would say he showed promise in Mathematics despite general disinterest, related - would have excellent understanding of mathematic rules & concepts, but poor computation, "brain interference". Generally, from what I have witnessed, can pick up things quickly.
Symptoms in the said person which I understand are not usually associated/contrasting with autism related conditions are - as a child had a tendency to make up very vivid stories and lies, vivid imagination, instead of maintaining interest in one subject would hop from subject to subject on an almost weekly basis, periods of untidiness contrasting periods of cleanliness, poor computation, at times can be gregarious (though only around familiar people)

I also understand that the condition is not set to these specific symptoms and people with it can display a whole manner of traits, but I just wanted general opinions from those more knowledgeable than me on the subject,

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

My AQ score is 34 and Ive been diagnosed AS. He sounds like me.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 6:43 pm

Though we can't diagnose this person, most of the symptoms sound similar to many of us. My Aspie Quiz score was closer to 165 but everything else seems to be similar and I'm quite sure I've seen people score relatively balanced on that test and have also been properly diagnosed. In my opinion, the most beneficial thing you can do is look over the DSM IV diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome, go through each of the requirements and see if he matches up. If it's safe to assume that he fits each and every requirement to the degree necessary to be diagnosed, then an astute professional would likely diagnose this individual. Take note that in Part III " The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning." His symptoms have to be relatively debilitating to be diagnosed. Another thing of note, the perceived lack of imagination, inability to lie, poor sleep patterns, etc. often associated with people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome are not a part of the criteria - having been diagnosed myself, I've always been capable of lying (though perhaps, unconvincingly) and sleep perfectly fine at this point in my life. http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:02 am

Quote:
...as a child had a tendency to make up very vivid stories and lies, vivid imagination

having autism doesn't mean lacking imagination, the confusion about imagination comes from "social imagination" which is affected in autism, which is something entirely different.

http://www.peaknt.com/files/The%20Compl ... ttwood.pdf

Tony Attwood is a famous Asperger's expert, extracts from the above book:

"...or alternatively use imagination and a fantasy life to create another world in which they are more successful."

"A more constructive internalization of thoughts and feelings of being socially defective can be to escape into imagination. Children with Asperger’s syndrome can develop vivid and complex imaginary worlds, sometimes with make-believe friends."

"Under conditions of extreme stress or loneliness the propensity to escape into an imaginary world and imaginary friends can lead to an internal fantasy becoming a ‘reality’ for the person with Asperger’s syndrome."

about lying:

"Where lying is becoming an issue for the family and friends of the person with Asperger’s syndrome, explanations will be sought. First, due to impaired or delayed ToM abilities, the person with Asperger’s syndrome may not realize that the other person is likely to be more offended by the lie than by any apparent misdemeanour. Second, he or she may consider that a lie can be a way of avoiding consequences, or a quick solution to a social problem.What the person might not acknowledge is that lying can also be a way of maintaining self-esteem should he or she have an arrogant self-image, whereby the making of mistakes is unthinkable."

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum