Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

I realized the other day that most of the elements of my dream house are designed to make it an ideal sensory retreat.

I want an "EarthShip" with aesthetics similar to this. but I want the majority (if not all of) the windows to be stained glass, perhaps in a mottled sort of rainbow where one panel is nothing but blue-greens and green-blues sort of randomly mixed, and it spreads out through the spectrum.

I want curving walls, I want it to be underground, I want the entrance to be a big greenhouse full of creeping vines and mimosa trees and Japanese maples and wisteria.

I want a big bathroom with natural stone on floor wall and ceiling, including a bit of a domed ceiling and a sauna. I want a bedroom like a cave but soft and dry and hygienic...maybe even with the bed recessed into the wall and with a curtain to make it completely private and dark. I might want a stream/fountain flowing through the living room, and aside from the greenhouse and the driveway for everything to just look like a grassy hill. maybe a cloistered back yard (like literally with pillars and arches), and more than anything I want it far enough away from the city there's no noise. somewhere in the Cascade Range. no blaring television anywhere. maybe even a separate building connected to the main house via the cloistered walkway for media, just so the noise and lights are far away from people who don't want them. almost pseudo-amish or something. no advertisements or "entertaining" gunshots and murder mystery dramas in the private space.

I want deep burgundy and blue-green and dark wood. muted, indirect lights. subtle, personally significant decorations like eastern orthodox and buddhist iconography with scientific illustrations of molecular biology and photography of mineralogical thin-sections. I don't want to live alone, in fact a co-op with close friends where we sometimes ate together or baby-sat for each other would be great, but I'd want a place to go into hermit-mode if I needed to, and again the stained glass and gentle curves everywhere, somewhere to swim naked. somewhere to play shakuhachi and harp.

I'm waxing poetic. if money wasn't an issue, what would your dream house be like?

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

I've always wanted to have a weird house. I'd love to live in a converted railway carriage or double-decker bus.

I saw a programme a couple of months ago about a man who made a house out of shipping containers. I've always thought a few of those stacked up would make a good house.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

My dream house would be located somewhere where it's hot and humid most of the year, at the end of a large community, not surrounded by one. It would be a large but not excessive sized house made of stone, two story's is fine. A few bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large living room fit for hosting parties in, a cook's kitchen fit with the best quality marble counters, cubpoards, and appliances, a fireplace on the second floor because it always feels cooler to be on the second floor, and surround sound speakers for my electronic sound system. It would be perfect for keeping in the warmth from the inside, loud music in, and the humidity from outside, out. The windows would be made of tempered glass. The yard would be long and wide so that my free range ducks and chickens can have a big pen to roam around in, my dogs and cats free to trot the entire area, and same goes for my large diurnal reptiles who require a lot of space, UVB and UVA Rays, and humidity. It would be fenced in by a thick and high fence, with electric wires at the tip top to keep out trespassers. I would also have a greenhouse in the yard, where I would grow all of my organic vegetables, fruits, plants, and herbs.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

My dream house would actually be just a one or two bedroom apartment. I have no use for a whole house. It'd be located in a nice, safe gated community and the walls would be very thick so noice won't penetrate it. I could stay up late all night and play music to my heart's content without disturbing the neighbours.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

It would have a bed like this.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

My house would be a normal house that is soundproofed and with laser tripwire that is set to be activated while I sleep :twisted:

MBTI- ISTP

namoor1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

Ah nothing special here (well there are some ideas about a huge castle or such next to a lake just under the mountains) except that i often feel the need of a room just for me, with "Please don't ever enter here" sign on the door :O

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

I've had a personal philosophy for a while that goes"need less and be adaptable". I figure, the more I can live without and the fewer luxuries I can live with, the more versatile I am.

I would want to live in a tiny apartment and I wouldn't want to own it. I'd want to have very few possessions and the main advantage of this is I can move more easily. Another advantage is that my living expenses are minimized but that's not the reason I'd want a small apartment.

I'd want to be able to move many times in my life rather than spend 10+ years in the same place. If I'm renting I don't need to worry about selling my house. I just tell the landlord I'm leaving and find a new apartment in the area I'm moving to. If I don't have too many possessions I have less to pack.

Also, I don't see any reason to have a large house when I spend most of my free time doing one of two things. I'm either out and about watching a movie, at a magic the gathering draft, attending classes to learn various skills etc. or I'm inside on the computer. It doesn't take much room to sit on a chair with a laptop and anything else I do will be done outside.

A small apartment is for me. I don't need that much space and renting an apartment accomodates the mobile semi-nomadic lifestyle I dream of.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
I've always wanted to have a weird house. I'd love to live in a converted railway carriage or double-decker bus.

For a number of years, I've often thought that it would be fun to buy a railroad passenger car, transport it to the farm, and convert it into a one bedroom house. The first step, of course, would be to gut it out and then insulate it. Railroad cars don't have much in the way of insulation.

I'd prefer one with lots of windows on both sides to bring in light and give a good view around. Keep in mind that this is on the farm so the nearest neighbor not related would be a mile away by road or a half mile across a pasture.

And it would be a whole lot easier to keep clean.

Every once in a while, I look through what's available for sale at http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/Listings.php?type=Passenger%20Car&fsw=FS.

They want $19,000 for this one:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

I've often been tempted to build a house using compressed earth blocks in a Santa Fe adobe style of house. There would be no frame -- the compressed earth blocks would be enough to support the ceiling of vigas and latillas with a thick roof of dirt above that.

Something like this would be great:

Around here, we have plenty of caliche available. I've often wondered how well it would work for a house.

silentlyvela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

a 200-300 sq ft appartment would make me happy. I like small cozy places anyways and keeps me from having too much stuff to keep track of. Plus I really like how loft beds make cozy spaces.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Ideal home; swathed in green. In the middle of nowhere, surrounded by endless wilderness and wildlife. Forests with wildlife, meadows, near a beautiful wild coast.
My actual home would be spacious but cosy, full of things I'd made and found. Colourful, with cats and dogs roaming around. And old house with character. Some stained glass windows.
Cosy poke holes and fantasy spaces, where I could feel like I was in an alternative world. Lots of plants.
A big sunny studio space.
A spacious kitchen
A garden with lots of things growing everywhere. And loads of bird tables to attract all the local birds.

Anyway, that's the dream.

Last edited by Cuckooflower on 15 Dec 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

OP, your dream house sounds so much like mine it's uncanny.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2012, 8:59 am

My dream house would be in the middle of the countryside..surrounded by a huge lake and wooded area
It would have all mod cons a swimming pool sauna huge tv room and a swivel master bed that turns round in the morning to face the lake....automatic blinds that go up and down when it is night and morning.
also my state of the art robot would go around the house cleaning and preparing the breakfast for when i get up :lol:

It would be protected by my Six german shepards that patrol the grounds.... :lol: but also my multi colored peacock's that would be kept in the inner area just in case there was a breach :lol:
my garden would be full of exotic flowers and secret pathways leading to a huge fish pond full of muti coloured fish of all species... in the corners would be water running down over huge rocks..and a lovely massive stone table in a circle surrounded by stone ornaments of angels with wings that would watch over me :lol:
I could imagine to have a lot of things in my dream house..but at the moment i live in a small studio house with two noisy people next door :( ..so unless i win the lotery..i will just have to keep on dreaming :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

I would always want to live with my family because I'd hate to live on my own, but I'd like to live in a big house where my room is on the third floor, big enough for all of my clutter (I'm partly a hoarder), and a big enough desk for my laptop and writing books et cetera, and enough room for my bed and my telly and DVD-player and all of my DVDs et cetera, and still enough room to walk about because I do hate rooms that are too small and cluttered. I'd like it to be brightly-lit aswell because I can't stand a dingy room, and I'd like a window that faced on to the street where I can see buses go by.

And when my family wants to be noisy and leave doors open and chatter loudly and have the telly roaring out, I can disappear off upstairs to my room.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2012, 5:49 am

i used to draw houses all day everyday....started around 6th grade to 8th/9th grade.....

had dreams of being an architect however my designs were to out there i think.......

if i ever get some land though i plan on building one or rather several of my dream houses =)

hopefully one day.....

i like the idea of atleast one tower on my poperty....with stairs....and different themes on each level and a telescope and related material at the top.