Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

Along with Asperger's I also have fibromyalgia. Is there anyone else out there that either has this combo of issues or Asperger's and a chronic illness? I'd love to get into contact if you do to talk about struggles and whatnot, because it does present unique challenges. :)

Hope it's a decent day for you all!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

I'm diagnosed with both. I know others here deal with both as well (although it's up to them to say, I think).

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Autism, type I diabetes, hypothryoid, something rheumatological arthritis that hasn't been specified quite yet...

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

Two different doctors have told me I have fobromyalgia but they wont give me a diagnosis. I have been having really bad pain throughout my entire body for almost a year. I was not injured andI was having horrible muscle spasms. I want to a neurologist and a rheumatologisit. I asked them about fibromyalgia. They said I probably had it but they would not diagnose it.
They told me that nobody knew what fibromyalgia really was so it did not look good for the insurance companies.
I probably have it. If not I have really bad muscle spasms all over my body for some unknown reason.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

i have some back conditions including periformis syndrome and i also have something similar to fibromyalgia called myofascial pain syndrome its similar to fibromyalgia but its more of a localized condition instead of widespread for me it effects my back

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:08 am

I've been dealing with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for over 22 years. It's been very debilitating. I found out about 3 years ago that I have partial epilepsy but it's been suspected for over 30 years, just not worth testing until more recently. I'm mostly sure it was caused by a head injury. The AS was only stumbled upon two years ago but probably could have been figured out when I was a kid if anyone had known anything about autism, and if I'd been a boy.

The fibro and CFS have largely disappeared. I think because I started taking anti-viral meds and supplements. Also, about the same time I started using cannabis (medical marijuana) infused olive oil in my diet. I suspect the illness is just hiding because this past May and June, I stopped using the medicated oil (my neurologist wanted to test with and without to document the efficacy of the cannabis) and experienced a dizzy/nausea/headache flare. Then, I ran out of the anti-viral prescription med last month, neglecting to get it re-filled for 6 weeks, and had another flare (sleepy/unexplainable/muscle spasm pain) from which I'm just barely recovered, maybe. It could all be coincidence but I've been studying this a long time and think the root of my chronic illness is either a cannabinoid deficiency or a viral infection... perhaps both. I think the virus is in the herpes family, the fabled Stealth virus, but all that could change tomorrow. One thing I know for certain about my chronic illness is that it is an inconsistent game changer.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 2:50 am

I don't but I have a friend who does and I've heard how awful it can be. I'm sorry to hear that you guys have to deal with it.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 8:41 am

Yes, I have Aspergers, fibromyalgia and IBS too. I've found the pain of fibromyalgia has decreased since I've started a gluten-free diet, and taking some homeopathic supplements.
PM me if you want to talk.

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2011, 3:46 pm

While I'm glad people got back on the thread it makes me sad others have to deal with it too... It's just a major pain in the butt.

Do any of you that have fibro (or other painful chronic illness) think that your sensory issues are worse now after developing it? I know for sure mine have ...

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

Yes, I do.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

A resounding YES.
I have chronic (unfortunately incurable "thanks Cooper Hospital") Lyme disease.
It presents with fibro+cf symptoms, as well as being very similar to MS in many ways when it flares up.
I HATE it.
I think the biggest problem with this is that when it flares up, I'm frequently stuck at home for at least a week and it really messes with my routines! I get all turned around and behind in my work. Then I get overwhelmed and confused and it takes me forever to get straightened out.

Anyone else have this problem?

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

Fibro, RA, IBS, self-dx Aspie.

A lot of research shows that ASD's have an autoimmune component. Question is, was it the cart or the horse, chicken or egg, is the auto-immunity a cause of or reaction to?4

http://www.anappleinapcworld.blogspot.com

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

azureyoshi wrote:

Do any of you that have fibro (or other painful chronic illness) think that your sensory issues are worse now after developing it? I know for sure mine have ...

YES! Sensory issues get worse over time.

Sight - Right now, I'm working on sound-proofing my room from the sound of my neighbor's defective pool pump. It's only running at 60 decibals and before the City will do anything, it has to be over 65 dcb. Seriously... I may have to move.

Sound - I also have to block light, especially if I get a headache, and sometimes I have to wear sunglasses indoors. I'll never go to Vegas again in my life - the sensory overload is tremendous. While driving, I'm supremely bothered by the loud bass some people think they need to broadcast from their car. I've actually had to pull over to get away from the noise.

Touch - sometimes I can't be touched and clothing hurts.

Smell - Can't abide cigarette smoke or most perfumes or colognes. No commercial cleaners and NO air fresheners. I smell things a person shouldn't smell.

Taste - The extra-sensory taste is kind of good. I can pick out the ingredients in a complicated recipe.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm

I've read some research recently that indicated fibromyalgia is more a neurological than auto-immune issue.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 12:06 am

I have fibromyalgia. I have constant pain all the time. I take meds for it but it doesn't completely take the pain away. It is mainly my neck, shoulders, and back that hurt. My mom has fibromyalgia as well. But she has this long list of health problems it hurts me. Everything with her is real to the extreme. My genetics don't look good. What I mean is she constantly needs surgery. Then when she has surgery, it gets infected and it becomes life threatening. Everything goes wrong.

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

FireBird wrote:
I have fibromyalgia. I have constant pain all the time. I take meds for it but it doesn't completely take the pain away. It is mainly my neck, shoulders, and back that hurt. My mom has fibromyalgia as well. But she has this long list of health problems it hurts me. Everything with her is real to the extreme. My genetics don't look good. What I mean is she constantly needs surgery. Then when she has surgery, it gets infected and it becomes life threatening. Everything goes wrong.

That's awful :( Sorry you have to deal with that.

Anytime the sun is out I have to wear sunglasses or else I'll get a migraine. It's so obnoxious.