anyone else has problem understanding what people are saying

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

do you have a problem understanding what people say, if it's slightly unclear, although nts CAN understand?
i'm better than nts at hearing words in difficult conditions (accent, fast speech, static) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
i'm as good as an average nt at hearing words in difficult conditions 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
i'm somehow below average 54%  54%  [ 49 ]
i'm terrible 43%  43%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 91

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

I'm bad at understanding any type of speech. It takes me a couple of seconds to process what somebody says enough to understand it. It just sounds like sound initially, instead of words. So I take a while to respond.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 9:26 pm

starkid wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
Yes! Moderate hearing loss + hypersensitivity to sound + auditory-verbal processing speed disorder + literal thinking + black-and-white thinking = constant miscommunication.

So you're the other person on WP diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder. I haven't found anyone else. Auditory processing speed disorder is very specific; I've never heard of that before. Did the audiologist give you an ICD number for the diagnosis?

No ICD number; just listed with my other diagnoses in my long comprehensive diagnostic report.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

EmmTheEnigmatic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2016, 11:41 pm

My brain tends to process words in a muddled fashion. However, I am capable of memorizing the timbre of people's voices for some peculiar reason or another. I tend to be hypersensitive to auditory input. As a result, my brain fixates on background noise.