Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 6:48 am

When I look at a newborn baby (under 3 weeks old), I sometimes feel a bit anxious. The baby is tiny, delicate, and hasn't a personality yet, and has an awful lot to learn in the following weeks, months and years. But at the moment it's just this tiny person, that can only sleep, cry and suck milk, and pee and poop. It can't play, sit up, babble, laugh or even smile yet. Sometimes I look at a newborn and think "what if this baby is going to be so severely ret*d, that it will never even learn to do any of those things, except grow?" Any newborn you look at could turn out to be like that.

Does anyone else feel like this when looking at a newborn? It's just amazing how we all start off as newborn babies that know hardly anything, and we were all the same as newborns, until we develop our own personalities and ways.

Does anyone know what I mean?
(No sarcastic or 'WTF' answers please).

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 8:51 am

i feel the same, although i feel that up to 3 moth olds

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 10:34 am

I remember thinking something similar when they decided to let me hold and feed my newborn cousin. I remember my uncle saying to me "he doesn't know what he's doing with his hands yet". And he seemed to have a confused look in his eyes to me. And I wondered if he was severely autistic, how long would it be before anyone would be able to tell.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 10:34 am

I see newborns as delicate babies, and I'm scared to hold them.

I never think that such a young baby will never develop.