Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

NOTE: This is NOT a suggestion, just an observation and question.

I'm 30, and have smoked on and off since I was 12. I started so early because I always had friends that were a bit older teenagers (and also a very young mom who smoked).

I know, I know.. it smells really bad, BUT here is what I've noticed- that I only have to deal with usually JUST that particular (smoke)smell while I am an active smoker. Smoking severely dulls my sense of smell to everything else. Every time I quit for a while, my sense of smell starts to come back, and I can smell EVERYTHING!.. and it really sucks. I have just as much trouble with quitting smoking because of going on (smell) sensory overload as I do with the actual addictive aspects of it.

Thoughts, suggestions, any other aspie smoke/deal with this?

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

Yeah I'm 23 and been smoking since 13 perhaps, on and off. When I think about it it makes me nervous that I do that to myself. Started b/c older friends and stuff, but I immediately liked it for some freakish reason. I find that smoking severely dulls not only smell (which I don't have anyway, some nose problems) but me as well which actually has become quite a problem. It's kind of a stim .... :? Fortunately have been smoke-free for nearly a year now and I hope this time for good. It just messes with my blood circulation too much as well as with immunity and I suspect causes a ton of other issues. I feel more in control and even I know there is no replacement I learn that I don't have to deal with myself in such way. It's a long time coming..

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

I smoke cigarettes. Ages 17 through 67 so far, and simply well and truly hooked. I abstained for ten days while having pneumonia, and as soon as I was up and around, started again.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm

No, I dislike the smell of them and I have a bit of a sensory issue with them.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:41 pm

not if they're smart.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2012, 1:48 am

cathylynn wrote:
not if they're smart.

Dang it, some one said it before me.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2012, 2:45 am

I have not smoked in years, and I smoked during my 20s and 30s. I still find cigarettes and nicotine very addictive, though. I am glad I quit.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:28 am

The few cigarettes I've smoked in my whole life weren't pleasant at all to me. The smell of cigarette is the worst, worse than garlic.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:51 am

cathylynn wrote:
not if they're smart.

What a snotty little ignorant remark.
Intelligence has nothing to do with it.
Of course non-smokers wouldn't understand in a million years, all they can do is make obnoxious high-horse comments like "not if they're smart".

Blow it out your A$$!

I'm sure by now, from my offense at cathylynn's typical non smoker comment, I smoke, a LOT.

I started when I was 11, 30 years ago. I started due to immaturity & growing up in a smoking household. Also, I'm sure being exposed to nicotine in the womb didn't help any. I quickly became a pack a day smoker by 13, 2 packs a day by 16 & 3 packs a day by 19. By the time I was mature enough to understand what I was dealing with, it was far too late.

There really isn't much hope for someone as heavily addicted as I am. I don't think I will ever be able to quit, I'd lose my friggin mind. So I accept my fate of diminished lung capacity and a fair but not 100% chance of a shorter life span.

But the worst part about being a smoker is dealing with all the flack I get from self righteous non smokers.
I suppose the flack would end if I quit, but quitting isn't as easy as it seems, it is one of the most addictive things in the world, no joke. It runs my life, completely. It the sad truth, there is no way out.

Diagnosed in 2005

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 4:13 am

Yeah and I can't seem to stop...speaking of which now I kinda want a ciggerette after reading this thread.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:34 am

pete1061 wrote:
I started when I was 11, 30 years ago. I started due to immaturity & growing up in a smoking household. Also, I'm sure being exposed to nicotine in the womb didn't help any. I quickly became a pack a day smoker by 13, 2 packs a day by 16 & 3 packs a day by 19. By the time I was mature enough to understand what I was dealing with, it was far too late.

There really isn't much hope for someone as heavily addicted as I am. I don't think I will ever be able to quit, I'd lose my friggin mind. So I accept my fate of diminished lung capacity and a fair but not 100% chance of a shorter life span.

But the worst part about being a smoker is dealing with all the flack I get from self righteous non smokers.
I suppose the flack would end if I quit, but quitting isn't as easy as it seems, it is one of the most addictive things in the world, no joke. It runs my life, completely. It the sad truth, there is no way out.

As an ex smoker, I assure you you can quit and there is a way out. It's not easy though. I'd say more though I remember what it was like and the worst thing is when others start to preach, which really isn't conducive to the right frame of mind.

In reply to the OP, I loved being able to smell everything again when I stopped smoking.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Rax wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
not if they're smart.

Dang it, some one said it before me.

Jeez. If you define smart by IQ then it's false. Unless you define smart by what you've just said.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

I only smoke once in a while, and I've been told I don't inhale.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

pete1061 wrote:

My sister quit her heroin addiction cold turkey, you don't have it that hard.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Burzum wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

My sister quit her heroin addiction cold turkey, you don't have it that hard.

I don't know of my own knowledge, but I have heard that tobacco is _more_ addictive than heroin. I've never tried heroin.

I don't know what my own IQ is now, but fifty years ago, when I started smoking, coincidentally, it hit 165.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

i smoked 1.5 to 2 packs a day for 6 years (Camels) and quit cold turkey 18 years ago. yes i know the smokers are making faces at me right now.

i tried to quit a few times before that but i didn't really want to do it, so i was never successful. so i decided i wouldn't try again unless i really wanted to do it (as opposed to feeling like i needed to do it, i waited until i wanted to), and it was not so hard once i got to that point.

as to the OP's question - your sense of smell will reach an equilibrium somewhere between a couple of days to a few weeks after you quit. try spending a few days at home after you quit so you are surrounded by familiar scents and get your house as clean as possible ahead of time. eat and drink foods that have strong flavours that linger so that your senses are dulled for a while. i.e spicy foods like curry and chili, mint chewing gum, foods enhanced with cloves and cinnamon, etc.

EDIT: WAIT! before i forget! also, Febreeze the crap out of everything. i forget exactly how it works, but if i recall correctly Febreeze coats the inside of your nose with some kind of oily substance so you can't smell properly, making everything seem fresher. you won't be able to smell very well if you have Febreeze around.