Where are the Better and Worse Places for Autistics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm

Hi Folks,

For years I traveled around the country as a consultant. I noticed that in some places I had fewer issues and sometimes virtually no issues in dealing with people. Other times, matters were horrific. Local culture seems to have quite a bit to do with that. I'm wondering if others have had the same experience and where are the places that are best and worst in your experience. Answers that are based on specific places are good and answers that have to do with specific characteristics or general characteristics are good to.

So, here's a question:Where are the Better and Worse Places for Autistics?

I'm going to hold my answer for a while. I'd rather get your fresh opinion, rather than a reaction to my personal view.

Thanks!
Rob

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:17 pm

smalltown america [at least my corner of it] can be pretty brutal, full of narrowminded "survival of the fittest" neanderthals, almost without exception. i have found that larger cities tend to be a bit more civil, especially in the north.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:31 pm

I live out in the country, we aren't completely rural, yet it's country and fruit groves. It'd be considered a small town and redneck area.
Believe it or not, most the folks here are nice and a lot are country folk who respect you if you respect them.
Obviously our neighbors know i'm "special" yet they never are mean to me and still are nice and greet me sometimes.

It probably varies in the area you live. I've lived in the NYC suburbs and that was one of the coldest areas i've ever been in. People were mean and snotty and looked at me like i was some type of deviant. You could just see the high school cliques beaming off them as they automatically judged me "bad not normal not acceptable" to them there.

Another different area i've lived in was very very rural, very few people. Those there were respectful, no problems.

I will never live in huge cities or big areas again. The worst was the suburbs.

I enjoy the country and the friendliness of the folks that live here. This neighborhood has great character and characters and different various people have their own quirks, so i guess that may be why they are less judgemental. There are also common denominators among the folks that live here that i think may make the neighbors more protective of us all, it is unique and i appreciate it here.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Thanks. Overall, I've found Arizona nice. Bad is a factory town. Worst is an Iowa hick factory town.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

Most of the big organisations for helping us are located where the most (and generally nastiest) people are located.

You get to choose organised help... OR peace and quiet.... not both.

AldousH
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

I think it correlates perfectly with IQ. Dumb people tend to value emotion and appropriate emotional reactions more highly than valuable people do simply because that is the only "realm" they are able to be above the rest in.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 6:30 pm

I find Wrong Planet to be nice...oh and my room also. Outside of that, not sure.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

AldousH wrote:
I think it correlates perfectly with IQ. Dumb people tend to value emotion and appropriate emotional reactions more highly than valuable people do simply because that is the only "realm" they are able to be above the rest in.

Not really. Being nice to people is a choice.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2013, 12:28 am

Thanks folks!