Asking their way to the front of the line

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

I tried to find another thread, so I hope I am not duplicating, but anyways on to the Q.

Have you ever been in line in the store and someone, who usually has less items than you, or maybe in a hurry ask you to go ahead of you?

I can't remember anyone asking me, but I am soooo paranoid that someone will ask me that and I won't know what to say. "Go to hell" would be my inner response. But I would probably say go ahead because I am scared to death of causing any confrontation, like if I said um no...and they made an issue of it, I would LOVE to say... well you sir...or madam are RUDE as hell for asking! Anyone think a person is rude for asking that. What would you do?

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:37 pm

You could say "Well, I am in a hurry, too."

But if you are not in a hurry, it is a magnanimous gesture to let the person go ahead, and feel like you are a nice person all day long because of it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

It's automatic with me: if the person behind me has significantly less products I'll encourage them to come ahead in front of me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

I don't mind people with fewer items going ahead of me.

I remember one occasion a woman behind me got upset enough for me to notice that I was between her and her husband, so I let her go ahead. I think sometimes a small courtesylike that can unruin a person's day.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 10:28 pm

Yeah, I know it can be awkward.

The best way is to say "No", and ignore them if they ask why.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 12:15 am

redrobin62 wrote:
It's automatic with me: if the person behind me has significantly less products I'll encourage them to come ahead in front of me.

If it is very few items, then the same here with the exception that if there are several people behind me with very few items, I'm not going to let them all go ahead of me and I don't want to play favorites by just letting one or two go first. Maybe if the one behind me is quite elderly or something, but that's it.

If they have quite a few but just less than me, they can wait.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 12:39 am

I usually let them go ahead even if I'm in a hurry. I'm rather into avoiding conflict... :/

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2013, 12:42 am

My rule of thumb is whether they have a cart or not. If they are holding their items, they might get heavy or drop something or whatever, and I will usually offer to let them go first. I've never had anyone ask me though... At least, not that I actually heard them...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 12:45 am

I'd let them. If it's urgent enough that they break the social code of not talking to strangers you're waiting in line with, then they probably have a good reason to ask.

If however I were on the edge of meltdown after a tiring shopping trip, I might just stare blankly at them, or not be able to figure out what they wanted.

Other than that, though, I think I can deal with waiting an extra thirty seconds if it's that important to them to save those thirty seconds waiting in line. It's not exactly the end of the world.

Actually, if you have many items and you have someone behind you who has only a few items, it is often very sensible to tell them to go ahead of you. That way, you only have to wait a little longer, and they have to wait a much shorter time--a net benefit. In the long run, if most people do this, everybody spends less time waiting. But just in the situation where you have a lot more than they do, or if you have the same amount, but they are very pregnant or trying to corral several kids or have an injury like a broken leg that makes it harder to stand; otherwise it doesn't really make much sense to let other people go first because it will just confuse them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

Callista wrote:
I'd let them. If it's urgent enough that they break the social code of not talking to strangers you're waiting in line with, then they probably have a good reason to ask.

There's a code? I get people trying to talk to me all the freaking time 8O

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:09 am

It's very give-and-get; I have had the person before me suggest I go first without me even thinking it so I offer the same rather indiscriminately (after I mentally compare who has more items). I've been burned once or twice in doing this - they accepted; only to request a pack of cigarettes, buy lottery tickets, dispute the price scan and then to top it all off, pull out a checkbook and start writing

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:33 am

I think about it sometimes, too.

I think it's rather rude to ask to go first. I would never do that. In my experience it's usually certain types of people who ask to go ahead of others - trashy, rough, ill-mannered etc kinds of people. So I muster my courage and say "no, sorry, I'm in a hurry, too". I don't like giving in to these sorts of people. In the area where I live there are relatively many rough/ill-mannered people.

There are always "Express Lanes" where only people with a limited number of items can check out their purchases. People with few items should go there.

There have been times when I had many items and the next person had only one. I offered to let that person go first. Also some people were kind enough to do that for me, too.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:42 am

I would just say no. How hard is that?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:58 am

You know,

Sometimes people have a legitimate reason for asking.

I've asked when I'm in line for food and my blood sugar is so low that I'm about to pass out.
Thank G-d for the people that let me to the front of the line.....wouldn't want to got to the hospital because some jerk whose blood sugar is fine decided to say no.

I'm not saying let people take advantage of you. But be considerate. It's a rare, precious thing these days.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 4:45 am

EstherJ wrote:
You know,

Sometimes people have a legitimate reason for asking.

I've asked when I'm in line for food and my blood sugar is so low that I'm about to pass out.
Thank G-d for the people that let me to the front of the line.....wouldn't want to got to the hospital because some jerk whose blood sugar is fine decided to say no.

I'm not saying let people take advantage of you. But be considerate. It's a rare, precious thing these days.

But how do you know someone truly has an emergency?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 7:59 am

Quote:
But how do you know someone truly has an emergency?

You could ask why they need to go ahead.