The most ridiculous thing an "expert" has said abo

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:01 pm

Growing up it's obvious many people completely misunderstood me and that continues into adulthood. I've posted about how I can't get any expert to admit I am impaired by my Aspergers even though it's pretty obvious. I'm even having that issue at work where I'm being blamed for everyone else's laziness and carelessless because I'm such an easy target. While I was generally treated well by authority figures (Teachers, Doctors, etc) I've had some outright ridiculous things that were said about me.

The most ridiculous thing that I can think of was my Paediatrician. We moved to a new area and at the age of 9 we went to see him. He dismissed the issues I was having and then said something that still makes me shake my head. I was a near-mute at that age and almost never spoke at all, yet he wrote on his report that I "thought I was a class clown". Keep in mind that teachers were worried because I talked so infrequently (but if it involved Astronomy or Geogrpahy I wouldn't shut up). Thankfully, my mother never brought me back to that Doctor. The worst part was? He was an older man who had 30+ years experience with children! 8O

How about you? What blantantly false or ridiculous thing has a so called expert ever said about you?

Last edited by GiantHockeyFan on 30 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

I have numerous reports in which my daughter is referred to as "he." The funny part is, she is a very girly-looking girl. No mistaking her.

Not quite the same as what you are talking about, but I can't believe how careless some people are.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

"You will never amount to anything" -- My 7th grade English teacher.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Once in a report about me they said I wasn't completely socially phobic because I went to a concert one time. As if you can never ever leave your house at all if you are socially phobic.

I had a teacher put in my report cards that I don't talk and that I interrupt constantly with irrelevant info. You can't do both.

In sixth grade in a report about me they wrote "SHE IS A LONER" in big capital letters and underlined it multiple times to emphasize it. Well I am now but back them it's not like it was by choice. I was badly bullied and everyone hated me.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

I was just handing in the finished paperwork to this caseworker, while having a long line of people behind me. He quickly looked over the papers and said "Well, it says here you have Asperger's". - Yeah, I answered. - "Are you on medication right now?" - No? "Well, I know I am not a doctor or anything, but you do not seem very sick to me.". I was so shocked by his comment that I just said "oh" and left when he said he would submit the application.

Seems we should all be obvious bat-shit crazy if we were not constantly on horse-tranquilizers or something in his mind.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:27 pm

One "expert" IQ tester, when I was 14 or so, said that I was only average in intelligence at best and would not be able to succeed in honors or gifted courses. Not only did I do incredibly well in them, but I'm about to graduate with my second engineering degree and nearly a 4.0 GPA....needless to say I'm glad I managed to prove him wrong ;).

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

In the process of getting my diagnosis, my dad said: "She's not Autistic, she just has a bad attitude." :roll:

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

My teachers told my parents I was a terribly rude child who didn't care about school and should be severely disciplined... While I Was doing six hours of homework a night, and being attacked by other students daily.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

psychegots wrote:
I was just handing in the finished paperwork to this caseworker, while having a long line of people behind me. He quickly looked over the papers and said "Well, it says here you have Asperger's". - Yeah, I answered. - "Are you on medication right now?" - No? "Well, I know I am not a doctor or anything, but you do not seem very sick to me.". I was so shocked by his comment that I just said "oh" and left when he said he would submit the application.

Seems we should all be obvious bat-sh** crazy if we were not constantly on horse-tranquilizers or something in his mind.

Ah, the old "You don't look very sick to me" line. That drives me up the wall. I've heard that so many times, it's not even funny.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

The first shrink I went to for an AS diagnosis, a so-called expert in AS, didn't give me any tests, just said I didn't have AS but had been "born with a nasty personality, that's all".

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

One shrink just took a look at me on the first appointment (I was crying), and said I was bipolar. Just like that, five minutes after she met me.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
In the process of getting my diagnosis, my dad said: "She's not Autistic, she just has a bad attitude." :roll:

Thats what my dad said, and still does if he uses the words at all, usally its just "issues" then he will turn around and compliment me or brag to someone else on something that I know is an AS trait, kinda funny.

Been told i'm a disturbing/distracting class then that I don't speak up enough, what the heck?

Always told I don't ask for help enough, speak enough, particpate in disscussion etc. I don't expect everyone to be an expert but its like the teachers don't know the hallmarks of autism at all.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

In my diagnosis/assessment write-up, they described me as having 'average muscle-build' or something along those lines. I was like, what?! I've been bodybuilding for over a year and though I'm not huge by any stretch of the imagination, I'm substantially more muscular than the average body type and get comments when I wear tank tops. I mean, I didn't really care, I was more surprised.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

30 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

The first time I got assessed for HFA was when I was in the military, and I got wrote up as having Adjustment Personality Disorder. I'm pretty sure no such thing exists, and the doctor just made it up. Didn't seem to have any consequences for me though.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
The first time I got assessed for HFA was when I was in the military, and I got wrote up as having Adjustment Personality Disorder. I'm pretty sure no such thing exists, and the doctor just made it up. Didn't seem to have any consequences for me though.

Adjustment Disorder is a very common diagnosis in the military. It is a real diagnosis. Though the word "personality" does not belong in it.

4+ years of working locked psych in the military. Just saying so you can trust I have some idea of what I am talking about.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

30 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Adjustment Disorder is a very common diagnosis in the military. It is a real diagnosis. Though the word "personality" does not belong in it.

4+ years of working locked psych in the military. Just saying so you can trust I have some idea of what I am talking about.

I might have remembered wrong. There might not have been the word "personality" used. I was in for 3 years and got promoted to a level (First LT) at which my NVLD prevented me from doing my job (field combat officer), so I was given the option of either leaving w/honorable discharge or applying to switch officer branches. I chose to exit. I haven't yet decided if doing this was a good or bad decision, as I still got the GI Bill and preferred federal hiring.

I regressed a lot, autistic wise, in the 2.5 years after I left the service, but I'm starting to believe it was because the diet of the country where I lived after my release from the service was deficient in both sun and Vitamin D, so it induced a two-year depression, which started coming out of a month ago after a month of taking Vitamin D supplements. One thing the military got right: balanced diet and plenty of sun.

I'm still pretty sure that "NVLD" or HFA would have been the proper diagnosis, not Adjustment Disorder, which is too broad.