Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2013, 10:41 pm

Mother of pearl 8O I took a speech class in order to force myself to be a little more confident. I found out that's not the problem.
If I hear a movement I have to look at where it came from. When I look over in the general direction my face connects with other faces and my thoughts are consumed with finding the noise and interpreting what their faces mean. Then I notice the light and then I realize I don't realize whats coming out of my mouth. 8)

I know the information I could have talked about it for hours, except my brain doesn't seem to work in that setting.

So my question is do you think I should drop the class and maybe take it another time. I'm working with a psychologist, but I'm a work in progress. Or do you think I just have to tough it out because I'm just I giant p****? I've not received any social skills training because I'm still working on being diagnosed in my early 20's.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm

I took speech in Highschool and it was a great and valuable experience.

In fact I was better in front of the class than one-on-one with people in the class I would run into- but i digress.

Worked for me. Might not for you. But the people most benifit from speech classes are the ones who (like me before I took it) are the most dreading of taking it.

So- I would say tough it out.

But actually no- dont "tough it out".

The key is to try to have fun with it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

Talk to the prof, see if you can figure out a solution. "I get so distracted by watching the audience that I lose track of what I'm saying!"--specify that this is distraction, not stage fright--maybe there's a way to deal with this.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com