anyone else not interested in science or math?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NJwlss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2007, 1:04 am

they've never interested me at all. i use to get good grades in those classes throughout school until high school when i just couldn't keep up with the material anymore, but i've never been that skilled in those subjects. i was average at best. could never memorize the material that well. i've always been interested and excellent in history and geography and in college have got interested in literature and psychology but never the hard sciences. find them boring and way too abstract.

and i'm basically computer illiterate technically wise. i'd say i'm like a ditzy nt when it comes to problem solving and formatting and programming and using a computer. and i've never had any interest in sci-fi or fantasy genres and never liked computer games(except civ2 when i was in junior high).

does all this heresy make me a bad aspie? anyone else weird aspie-wise like this? social sciences/liberal arts over the hard sciences?

Veronica
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2007, 2:01 am

I'm not really all that interested in science, save for a few topics, and I'm absolutely atrocious at math. But writing, radical/labor history, drawing, and film studies/filmmaking have always been my thing.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 2:10 am

Pretty much same. I'm unbelievably bad at math..I have a learning disability mathwise and count on my fingers. I like geology and astronomy but science isn't generally my bag either.

JYossarian
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2007, 2:29 am

Math and science use to be easily my favorite/best school subjects. Then I got hit my terrible teachers and I really despise those subjects now :cry:

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2007, 2:36 am

Mathematics :D
Science :D
IT :D

I'm a Mathematics and Science person lol.

That's my two pence worth.

NJwlss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2007, 2:49 am

chadders wrote:
Mathematics :D
Science :D
IT :D

I'm a Mathematics and Science person lol.

i think it's interesting having a kind of split in the aspie population between those who are closer to and can identify with the geek subculture and those who can't. i was always labeled a "smart kid", but never had a subculture.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 2:55 am

I am so bad at math's that I can be an Assistant Civil Site Engineer in Construction :P, I count on my fingers too or get out the calculator, I did not see 1 Civil Site Engineer do maths without getting out his calculator lol

If you ever want to work for a construction company "BARR Steel are a great pair of Jocks"
{Durham Road Tesco} "Internal - Your lucky if the place does not stink if my calculations where off on the drainage."

/* AT Newcastle Biker Retail Park...

Was fun running round the mud pit with the "Edm staff",
**Electronic Distance Measurement device, the instrument used by modern surveyors that replaces the use of measurement chains. It determines distance by measuring the time it takes for light to reflect off a prism on top of a rod.**
*/

" If you ever seen them guy's at the side of the road with the EDM on the top of a tripod, with a guy with a prism on top of the stick "

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2007, 4:25 am

I won't say I'm not interested, but I am definitely not the stereotype person on the spectrum that is a Math genius. My math skills are far from flawless, and my talents defintely are more verbal in nature.

That said, I use math more than a lot of people in my line of work, which is training loan officers. So, I work a lot with moderate algebra, amortization calcs, and some basic calculus from time to time.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 4:43 am

I've always been mad on science, but maths never interested me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 5:43 am

I was always good at Science and badat Math.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 6:24 am

I was so bad at math compared to other subjects, my teacher thought I was being deliberately awkward. It took him a long time to realise that I really didn't get it. I liked science though.

copernilol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2007, 6:25 am

I'm bad at math because I can never remember anything, but once it's in my head I find it to be quite easy.
I love discussing the ideas surrounding physics and math, but hate having to learn and use equations.

I tried going back to school to do yr11 math methods and yr12 physics and gave up because I couldnt keep up with the methods homework because I'd get so frustrated that I could never remember what the hell I was doing. :x

Kay_zee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2007, 6:29 am

I hate both topics, although I was ok at both - got 2 As.

I'm more into History and Criminology, which have quite an overlap.

SovietChess
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2007, 6:32 am

never my cup of tea.. more history and literature, but stuff like chaos and james burke "connections" fascinates me..

World Chess Champion 1960-1961

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 6:57 am

The way my mind works, I should love BOTH! I'm sure I DID like math once. I TRIED to get more math into my school schedule. For one, I wanted to be an electronic engineer, and I knew that ohms law only took you SO far. Some of the calculations can get NASTY!(read COMPLICATED) I like the idea of math NOW only because it makes life easier, and it would be better to get away from the idea of using a calculator.

As for science? You WILL have to do more than simply tack on the name science, but I just like knowing how things work, and that is REALLY what science is about!

SO, I guess my vote would be:

MATH (take it or leave it)
SCIENCE YES

BTW I program computers also.

Steve

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2007, 7:24 am

NJwlss wrote:
anyone else weird aspie-wise like this? social sciences/liberal arts over the hard sciences?

Yup.

I like computers including making and maintaining (writing and pasting code for) websites though.