Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

I'm thinking of trying to get Short term SSI. I've been trying to get a god for about five years but because of my anxiety it makes it super hard for me. Unfornanaly I have not much proof of this cause 1 I have a really hard time talking to doctor and so hardly ever go to them, and 2 I have very little money to go to doctor. I do have DARS officer person. And just got enjoyed in a place call Woodrow Wilson rebilliation center. I just need help to get above water.

Does anyone know how I can go about or even if I have a change to get it?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Feb 2013, 3:02 pm

If you apply for SSI, SSA will have you see one of their doctors to evaluate you. This process is highly variable with some people reporting good results and some people reporting poor results.

It might be worthwhile to check your state agencies to see if they offer any assistance in this regard.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

I am trying to get on SSI, and don't really have a lot of medical records or 'proof' that I need SSI...though I have more proof than I did the last time I tried applying when I got denied. Anyways, I think the base a lot of their decision on what written information you provide, not sure if you are better able to express things in writing but if you are then it helps. It is probably worth applying if you're unable to function, it is difficult keeping up with the process and talking to the people who take the application and process it or whatever.......so if that's especially difficult it may be a good idea to make sure and prepare yourself before meeting with anyone or calling it varies by states so I am not sure if most communication would be in person, over the phone or by mail. Oh and there is a website which should tell you about how it works in your state, though the wording is kind of confusing at least for me it was.

It is a very slow process though so its best to apply as soon as possible if you feel you need to......they still accept any new medical records and such during the process to so you can apply before getting more documentation. Not sure if any of that helps.

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

Verdandi wrote:
If you apply for SSI, SSA will have you see one of their doctors to evaluate you. This process is highly variable with some people reporting good results and some people reporting poor results.

It might be worthwhile to check your state agencies to see if they offer any assistance in this regard.

What do you mean by state agencies?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Feb 2013, 3:30 pm

Lilithlee wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Where you go to get food stamps, low income health care, that sort of thing.

I don't know which state you live in, so I can't tell you what the agency is called. In Washington - where I live, it's "Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)" and in Oregon it's Department of Human Services.

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

I live in VA so I think it called Virginia department of health and service.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

This site may help:

https://jupiter.dss.state.va.us/EligibilityScreening/

Scroll down to the bottom where it asks "am I eligible for assistance?"

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 4:14 pm

That asking about everyone I live with, and I'd have to talk with my sister about that.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

Lilithlee wrote:
That asking about everyone I live with, and I'd have to talk with my sister about that.

That part of every application for assistance is the hardest part for me. Getting that for food stamps took me six months, even though all of that information was in my records.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Lilithlee wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Where you go to get food stamps, low income health care, that sort of thing.

I don't know which state you live in, so I can't tell you what the agency is called. In Washington - where I live, it's "Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)" and in Oregon it's Department of Human Services.

The Dept of Social Services Health Services is a building where usually people go, or if you need to update information you go there.

It you get into a hospital inpatient status and it's a hospital with a "treatment team" consisting of psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or case worker, etc) They may be able and proceed to plan your release and get the SSI taken care of for you upon for when you leave.
This may vary by state and also by hospital.

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

Chole33 I'm not sure what you mean with hospital and stuff?

mrL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

SSI is Pandora's box. I too have been tempted but remember that the amount you will actually receive can be considerably low. Trust me, I'm a virtual hermit right now. Think about all your options first; consider other programs that may be available in your area to provide short term disability aid as well. Furthermore I would look into the guidelines for SSI more closely:

Social Security does not pay partial or short-term disability benefits. That includes benefits for maternity leave. To receive disability benefits, your medical condition must:

Prevent you from working; and
Last, or be expected to last, for at least one year or result in death.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... disability

While the road may be difficult, try to put as much effort into treating the actual issue. I know it can be hard to try sometimes, but you would often be amazed by what you can accomplish by just trying.

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

There is no such thing as short term SSI...unless you mean you would try to get SSI, just until you get a job or finish your education. Short term disability, legally, means that you will be disabled less than 12 months (like if you break your leg or something) and you only get that when you purchase a policy through an insurance company or your employer. The government doesn't do that. For SSI, you have to prove that you will be disabled for 12 months or longer. To qualify for SSI for Asperger's, you pretty much have to function at a level where you can't do a simple unskilled job and be able to prove it. It's easier to get on as a child, but most adults with AS will not qualify, and many who did qualify as children get ceased as adults. Not to say you shouldn't try, but just fair warning that AS doesn't automatically mean you qualify for disability, and the vast majority of us do not. I used to be a claims adjudicator for Social Security...

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

Here are the criteria you have to meet to qualify. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilit ... .htm#12_10

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

From personal experience, Social Security tends to ignore stuff that justifies a claim and exaggerate stuff that might justify denying it.

I had the vocational person at my hearing say there were literally zero jobs I could do and the judge still denied me. His basis for doing so involved ignoring every single medical professional's opinion who supported my claim while quoting a counselor who saw me once 12 years prior as the authority on whether I could work or not. He misapplied information about tests I was given by a psychologist to determine my disability eligibility in the first place and claimed they proved things about my cognitive abilities that they could not remotely prove.

(I don't mean to direct this at the previous poster, who I assume worked in good faith. She is also correct that most people with AS won't qualify for disability on AS alone)

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 5:41 pm

You can take it with a grain of salt if you want to, but your experience backs me up...most will not qualify. That's just statistics. I didn't say that's fair, but that's the way it is. I struggle with working as much as the next Aspie, and feel I have very little in the way of a social safety net and wish that wasn't the case. Your opinion is based on your experience and mine is based on knowledge of how the system works, and having processed hundreds of cases myself. Examiners (at initial and recon level) have very little leeway in the way they make their decisions, Either they can argue you meet the criteria I posted, or they cannot, based on the info provided. If they don't have an airtight case they have to deny you or the review board will return it. They don't get any kudos for denying cases or have any quota to meet of allowances/denials. Judges, on the other hand, have tons of leeway, and it sounds like you got a bad judge.