Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

I'm not sure if this inability stems from having Asperger's Syndrome (which I have been informed I probably have), or whether the reason for it is something else entirely, but I often struggle with the 'Captcha' symbols that I am often asked to enter when I post a message online. The purpose of having to do so is, we are told, to ensure that only real people leave messages, but I'm often forced to click on the 'refresh' icon because I just cannot read them; eventually I succeed after between five and ten attempts to decypher them.

Could this be one of the many 'symptoms' of Asperger's that I am not familiar with, or is it just me?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

Many of us struggle with captcha codes; but then I suspect many NTs do also.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 10:35 am

I have problems with Captcha too, and I often have to cycle through several images to find one I can read.

BTW, Alan Turing (the inspiration for the Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) is suspected by some of having Aspergers Syndrome himself.

Did he set his own flock up to fail on the Internetz? 8O

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 10:43 am

While annoying, Captcha Codes are not an insurmountable obstacle. After all, you remembered your WP password today, didn't you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:48 am

Fnord wrote:
While annoying, Captcha Codes are not an insurmountable obstacle. After all, you remembered your WP password today, didn't you?

We do occasionally get reports from new members who have had great difficulty registering and getting the captcha correct.

Don't know why passwords are relevant, but personally I have no idea what my WP password is, it is stored in my browser and also archived away somewhere, but under threat of torture I couldn't tell anyone what it was. Knowing me it is likely a very long random string of numbers, letters and characters.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2013, 1:34 pm

I have an NT friend who has a terrible time with them. Back when I had to enter captchas to reply to Myspace comments after a certain number, I found them incredibly frustrating, but with practice (entering, probably, thousands over the course of two years) I got substantially better at them.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

they used to be really hard for me

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

they started getting bad a few years ago.

l felt like l was tripping balls looking at a few and had to get the audio, a few sites where that wasn't an option l just couldn't sign up for. ; have visual issues and aura migraine but l have kind of a consistent, dull effect from it that makes things like that really hard and almost like dyslexia(l'm not dyslexic).

There's newer measures now, though. One lve seen was playing a short clip and entering a simple phrase that pops up at the end.

HDTV...

Whatever.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

I have trouble with them some and find them annoying.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

I often (but not always) have problems with them. It depends partly on the design background, how italicised the letters are, how close together they are etc. Sometimes the background design obscures them (or it appears to, to me). Surely NT's have the same problem with this though?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

I have had periods where they are easy and periods where they are extremely difficult.

I've talked about captcha problems in other online communities and it does seem that being neuroatypical tends to mean more likelihood of captcha difficulty.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 4:32 pm

I sometimes have to magnify my browser to something like 400% just to be able to read them, and sometimes I still have to cycle through until I solve one. I'd say I average around four captchas per session.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Lol I made a post about this a while back, they can be pretty crazy!! It has nothing to do with AS though, it has to do with CAPTCHAs being ridiculous oftentimes! Here's links to some of my favorite ones. And yes, I have actually gotten some arabic ones in CAPTCHAS before:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bHEFZqf2-jo/T ... titled.bmp
http://www.theworldorbust.com/wp-conten ... aptcha.jpg

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

Fnord wrote:

No, actually I didn't, because I don't need to. When I enter my onscreen name it comes up automatically in the field.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Feb 2013, 8:33 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Lol I made a post about this a while back, they can be pretty crazy!! It has nothing to do with AS though, it has to do with CAPTCHAs being ridiculous oftentimes!

One of the sensory issues that tends to appear with autism involves difficulties in sensory procession. Visual processing for example.

Not everyone who has trouble with captcha is autistic, but visual sensory processing issues can make captchas more troublesome for at least some autistic people.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

I hate captcha.