Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jamiecolleen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2009, 3:56 pm

I am recently married to a wonderful man in his fifties, whom I first met when we were both in middle school many years ago. From talking to psychologists, parents of AS children, and my own memories of him as a child...I am pretty certain he has Asperger's. But, I am not certain if he is aware of AS. Currently, the biggest thing he is dealing with is when he was divorced from his first spouse of 30 years, after a long period of living apart, he was assessed an abnormally large amount of alimony that basically, without working overtime, gives his ex his entire paycheck. He doesn't seem to know how it happened, and there is nothing in the paperwork other than the dollar amount. He is going back to court in the near future with a new lawyer, for a modification hearing as he is currently unemployed. I am wondering if anyone has had experience as an adult with AS in a courtroom setting? And if there is anything that can or needs to be done to assure that he understands the proceding? Of course since he has not been diagnosed AS, his lawyer knows nothing about it. How can I help as his wife?

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:20 pm

jamiecolleen wrote:
I am recently married to a wonderful man in his fifties, whom I first met when we were both in middle school many years ago. From talking to psychologists, parents of AS children, and my own memories of him as a child...I am pretty certain he has Asperger's. But, I am not certain if he is aware of AS. Currently, the biggest thing he is dealing with is when he was divorced from his first spouse of 30 years, after a long period of living apart, he was assessed an abnormally large amount of alimony that basically, without working overtime, gives his ex his entire paycheck. He doesn't seem to know how it happened, and there is nothing in the paperwork other than the dollar amount. He is going back to court in the near future with a new lawyer, for a modification hearing as he is currently unemployed. I am wondering if anyone has had experience as an adult with AS in a courtroom setting? And if there is anything that can or needs to be done to assure that he understands the proceding? Of course since he has not been diagnosed AS, his lawyer knows nothing about it. How can I help as his wife?

I've had experience as a witness testifying against my rapist, and my Aspergers did me good because the defense attorney couldn't discredit me because I was overly honest. As far as civil type cases, I think it would be important for him to know to not volunteer any information. A lot depends on the attorney. Sounds to me that's what happened in the past...attorney issues. So, make sure the attorney is filling out the paperwork correctly and in a timely manner. Alimony should be based on facts on paper, so I don't see how his courtroom behavior would affect it unless his behavior was extremely unusual. I might be wrong since I've never dealt with divorce to know (well indirectly with friends, but I usually just did some PI type of work for them). It's possible he could fight to receive alimony from her if she is working and he is not, but I think that also depends on who was working through their marriage.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:49 pm

Get a good lawyer & possibly have him diagnosed (so the lawyer will have no choice but to accept his issues). I was in court once for a name change (no biggy). But I would suggest having him go over with a lawyer (& possibly go over it with him to) what he should say & how he should act (avoiding fidgeting, etc.) so he looks professional and believable when in court. Being sloppy (even unintentionally) was something my mom desperately wanted my to avoid so I could not be considered incompetent (not as much of an issue if he's not diagnosed). But if you & he choose not to have him diagnosed still talk with each other & "role play" what needs to be/what will come up so he is not as easily flustered. He can appear somewhat nervous (I did) that is perceived as normal. But he should try to maintain descent-good eye contact & try to speak clearly etc. I don't know whether a person is more/less easily discredited if they have a disability, but you might want to check that out. Good luck! :)

p.s. I'm definitely not a lawyer

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 9:40 pm

In the courtroom, people twist the truth against each other. Lawyers and attorneys get paid to be good at twisting facts, laws, and the words of people.
Some Aspies are easy to take advantage of. In the ruthlessness of the courts, those Aspies are hopelessly over matched. They will lose everything, unless they have someone seriously protecting them.
Best of luck to you.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 9:53 pm

jamiecolleen wrote:

I have been to court a few times. Generally, you can ask for an interpreter to explain the context for you. It is better to have a lawyer and make sure the judge is aware that you are on the Autism Spectrum. My case involved a credit collection agency that was trying to collect unfair and unproven amounts from me, an employer that would not give me my paycheck, and a domestic dispute with a woman that making accusations against me. Every time I won and used an interpreter of some kind provided by the court with the exception of the employer that I sued for not giving me my paycheck, which I won.

I did get sued though and lost on a medical bill that was already paid because I didn't understand how to file an "answer" and nobody would help in the court system with a interpreture.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 12:24 am

Usually before court, when you go to an examination for discovery, your lawyer will walk you through what you have to say and will advise you not to volunteer info.I will have to look into this more and dig through my litigation notes from class.

btw...at examination for discovery, do not volunteer info...what is said in examination for discovery, is read in court as evidence.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 9:51 am

I should add that many people in these type of cases (like I've done in the past regarding my VA disability) often put too much faith into their attorney. One thing to consider, the attorney is working on a bunch of cases at the same time, so every aspect of his job is in a strict time management situation, and much of his job is passed on to his staff (depending on the size of the firm, but if you knew how much his legal secretary did for him, you'd feel like you were overpaying him). In my case, I had some problems with my VA claim because my attorney has experienced a high turn over rate with his employees, so things are backed up and lost in his office. I often call and ask if there's anything I can or should be doing for my case, and they say no. Then when case day came up in a very informal court type thing, I wasn't prepared because I did need to be doing things. So, just think what the judge might need for his case, and don't depend on the attorney to have it. You make sure you have it and let the attorney know before hand what you brought.

Most of this should be paperwork if you reside in the United States. Testimony is only really there to clarify some things or to back up some things (like you might need a witness like yourself to testify that your husband has been out of work for so long). Always make sure dates match in your testimonies. If you said on paper that he's been unemployed since December 14, 2008, make sure your testimony says, "sometime in December of 2008." If he has been unemployed for over a year, I would certainly bring previous tax returns with you to show that. If he hasn't, it still might come in handy to show the last x amount of years of his employment income (and you might want to do an excel spreadsheet showing how much he paid per year in alimony vs how much he made and figure a general percentage of his pay check finding an average so that someone can safely say "On average for the last 5 years, 80% of his pay check has gone to alimony," and then if someone says prove it, you can prove it. That might be overkill, but I now try to envision Judge Judy calling me stupid for not bringing it when it comes to these things. You might also need record of his alimony payments in case his ex tries to say, "I haven't received any payments from him for 3 years now." I don't know the relationship between him and his ex, but if she depends on that money, she's going to fight pretty hard to keep it in this day and age.

The problem with Aspies is mainly in testimony and trusting people. So, don't trust anyone (you can, but you don't have to not be prepared as a result...like I trust every landlord I meet before i move into an apartment, but it doesn't stop me from writing down everything that's wrong with the apartment and taking pictures of it all before moving in even though i always believe the landlord is going to be cool about it).

As far as testimony, his main problems should be monologues and volunteering too much info. If he doesn't usually have these problems, then he should be okay. If he does, avoid special interest topics because they tend to bring out monologues beyond an Aspie's control. Remind him to answer the question (and only the question asked) and only provide information relevant to the case. Yes and No answers should be a yes or no, but it's okay to add a 3 second phrase if you keep it that short. He is allowed to clarify things that people seem to misunderstand, and he's allowed to be overly honest even if it sounds like he's giving a point to his ex. That usually gives him credibility and shows character. Like in my case against my rapist, I had said that the guy was a really nice guy and I wouldn't change on that, and I also said he was good looking, and the defense tried to use that against me until I pointed at people in the courtroom saying they were goodlooking, men and women, and worked my way to the defense attorney where I abruptly stopped to not include him, and then I said all those people are good looking people none of which i would take home with me for a night of intimacy. Attorneys use a lot of logical fallacies trying to trip up people talking, and in my case, they tried to use goodlooking and someone I'd like to have sex with synonymously, which was wrong, and I called them out on it. Your husband's Aspergers should help him identify that easily and honestly be able to counteract it. If you want to give him some practice, make him debate with people in an internet forum as it's great debate practice. Maybe even analyze the tricks people use to attempt to win a debate (my best line of defense is to point out the flaws in someone else's argument generally). (ALSO, mind you, my rape charge stuck from my testimony alone, and the other rape cases were dropped after hearing the victims' testimonies).

The important thing to consider, if he's really in the right, then honesty is his best policy. Tell him to just be honest in that case. Now, if anything is wrong in his case even if he feels he's right but most people would see his opinion as wrong, then honesty wouldn't work, and Aspies don't work well with lies. The only time in my life where I lose when I was in the right is when I don't try. It sounds like he's in the right in this situation, so his honesty should work in his favor here. I would still practice the courtroom setting with him and your attorney to make sure his honesty isn't coming across wrong.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 9:27 pm

depending on the state you're in, unemployment is not a reason to modify spousal support.

disability, however, is, so if your husband needs assessments before his hearing date, go ahead and file because modifications are based on filing date, but get an official dx.

also, depending on how long ago his final divorce proceeding was, it might still be open for correction based on clerical error, since spousal support is often based on a set formula and sometimes people screw up when entering orders. you can order a transcript of the original proceeding to see what happened, if you find that he's still within the time frame to challenge the original proceeding. if he's past that time frame, it could still be useful to get a modification.

I've been through this. it really sucks, but my ex screwed me in court several times because I couldn't speak up for myself. then I memorized the statutes and went after all my own evidence and proved he was lying. now I have a good lawyer to handle my stuff. it costs a lot, but it cost way more when I had to fight on my own. I still study the laws pertaining to my case to make sure my lawyer is on track because they can make mistakes.