Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

10 May 2008, 1:32 am

This is something my boyfriend told me. He says us aspies get very upset about something because that was what Laine Holliday Willey said in her book.
Last fall when my aunt told me she and her uncle were going to start renovating their house soon so I better start looking for an apartment, I got real upset because it brought stress on me. I wasn't expecting I'd be forced to move out and I wasn't planning to move out that year until I got a laptop. But my boyfriend helped calm me down and I decided no laptop and I can always use a computer at a library or something. So we both did apartment searching on the internet for the area.

When I got a letter from the state of oregon asking for a copy of my federal taxes, I got real upset after I couldn't get a hold of them. I remember starting a thread about getting upset for no reason when I told that story.

I don't know if it's part of AS to get very upset easily.

I always thought getting very upset was a human thing.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 1:43 am

I think it's an aspie thing... I'm the same way. Like, when our roomies kicked us out, I FLIPPED. Like, I already knew I was going to have to move, that I understood, but having to move as quickly was so not cool. And then they pulled a bunch of BS on me that I would personally only do to animal abusers and child beaters.

So yea, I think we get upset more easily, but... I think it works in our favor sometimes. Just not always.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 1:50 am

I think it is. I do it less now than when I was younger. I have found that by taking a wait and see approach sometimes it is really not a problem at all, or is less than I initially thought.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2008, 1:57 am

i know i get upset easily. just look here on this forum on how easily i snapped: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83583

PS: remember im known also as Evildragon, which is me there..

I don't snap here cause well, we all are the same, lol.. i snap there because they freakin nitpick at what i say/talk about.. seriously pisses me off..

10 May 2008, 2:13 am

It sounded like a curious question when he asked you and you totally blew up.

People have gotten mad at me for my curious questions. It had happened on here before with someone which I can't name.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2008, 2:21 am

I can't identify what's just a normal question or what's a "why the hell you watch so and so"..

to me i saw it as the latter.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

10 May 2008, 2:48 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I always thought getting very upset was a human thing.

It is a human thing.

My mother says that aspies are prone to mood swings and more extreme moods...such as if we are happy we are REALLY HAPPY and if we are sad, we are depressed. I don't know about the rest of you but in my case, thats true.
I get upset a lot of times for no apparent reason, or a reason which makes no sense to me or anyone else.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 7:01 am

I seem to but ONLY because so many push my limits, and they push them SO MUCH! If I did the same thing with an NT, THEY would get JUST as annoyed or, perhaps, even MORE so!

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 7:17 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
I seem to but ONLY because so many push my limits, and they push them SO MUCH! If I did the same thing with an NT, THEY would get JUST as annoyed or, perhaps, even MORE so!

That is how I feel too! If someone...anyone with any type of brain were pushed around alot, defense mechanisms would come up. I sometimes wonder if perhaps because some of the people who can't relate aren't pushed around as much or treated differently if they really can't understand and make it out as though I'm over-reacting when perhaps, they have just not experienced it enough to understand it.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2008, 7:24 am

I get easily upset, often over things that arent really worth getting upset about.. Its easy to say that in hindsight though. I certainly feel like i have every reason to be upset when it happens.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 7:39 am

catspurr wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

That is how I feel too! If someone...anyone with any type of brain were pushed around alot, defense mechanisms would come up. I sometimes wonder if perhaps because some of the people who can't relate aren't pushed around as much or treated differently if they really can't understand and make it out as though I'm over-reacting when perhaps, they have just not experienced it enough to understand it.

Exactly! I would have STARVED, LONG ago if I didn't try to ignore the handling of food, etc... Still, that is no reason for them to do things like clean with their gloves on, and just continue preparing food like they are still somewhat sterile, or for a person to stand like a foot away from me, like yesterday, or a person to discuss trivilalities(Which is sometimes merely inane banter) with me when I have important work to do. Those SAME people may later yell at me if I don't have things done that THEY kept me from doing!

One person touched me three times in the past month. That is probably, outside of shaking hands, more than everyone else, that I know, has touched me in the past 3 YEARS put together! Yet she KNOWS I hate that! I still don't understand why she does that. She even touched my food a few times. It is like she wants to talk about everything, and can't without touching it.

These are NOT unreasonable limits. That is part of the reason why they upset me so. If someone is pushed, and ends up knocking you down, and you get scratched, OH WELL... THAT is nothing to be upset with that person about. If they HIT you(even slightly), or nudge you out of the way without any provocation, intentionally, that is totally different. If a math student has trouble with x=2+(4/x-9)+7+(6/3) it is not as big a deal as if they have a problem with x=2+2.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:48 am

I think a lot of times we get upset about different things from what NTs get upset about. This makes us seem more easily upset than them.

Example: it never bothered me how someone dressed to come to a party at my home. Whereas I've seen many NTs go berserk about this one ("how does he/she dare come to MY party wearing THAT!"). On the other hand, I go berserk at hypocrisy and passive-aggressive moves, while NTs celebrate them or just can't be talked into seeing anything wrong with them.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:50 am

Yes.I'm high strung.^^

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2008, 9:04 am

I have the dissenting opinion. I rarely get upset at anything. I even got cheated on once and wasn't upset. I don't know why. I mostly feel numb, but not always.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 9:09 am

it takes alot to upset me. noramlly i'm very indifferent to what people say about me.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2008, 9:16 am

i think so. in my experience, i can get worked up with the tiniest annoyance and it would last the entire day sometimes to the next couple of days. it's tiring and worthless.