Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

http://www.projectlearnet.org/tutorials ... ssing.html

Here are the first 3 paragraphs:
WHAT IS SLOW INFORMATION PROCESSING?

Speed of information refers to how quickly students can react to incoming information, understand it, and think about the information, formulate a response, and execute that response. Speed of information processing is not the same as intelligence. It is possible to be very bright, yet process information slowly. Similarly, speed of information processing is not the same as physical quickness. It is possible to have complete physical recovery and yet process information slowly.

Speed of information processing is influenced by a variety of factors. Neurologically, speed is affected by neurotransmitters in the brain and their balance, by the fatty covering of neurons (myelin) that speeds transmission, by the size of synaptic spaces (unusually large synaptic gaps slowing information processing), by the organization of neural networks that support a concept or procedure, and by the efficiency of the frontal lobes in organizing and directing information flow. A person with slowed information processing may also be physically slow, for example with slow speech production or slowed arm and leg movements. However, it is possible to have intact physical movements that are normally fast, but nevertheless to process information slowly.

Speed is also affected by knowledge and experience. The more a person knows about a topic, the easier it is to process new information about that topic quickly. The more experience a person has with a phenomenon, the easier it is to react and think quickly. For example, children and adults alike playing a new game – board game, card game, video game, or sport – take a great deal of time to do what takes very little time once the game is mastered. Similarly, foreign languages that one does not know seem to be spoken very rapidly. But once the language is mastered, it seems to slow down. Therefore, “familiarity with the game”, including thorough familiarity with routines in school and increasing content knowledge, is very important for individuals who process information slowly.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:26 pm

Yup, I've always said the primary reason why Autistics prefer routine and ritual, is because the more we're able to structure and control what's happening, the fewer unexpected elements we have to juggle, thus lessening the likelihood of being overwhelmed by stimuli input.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:01 pm

My digital symbol coding sub test (processing speed) was 9 standard deviations lower than my best sub test.

It so frustrating to be "bright" but process information slower than most people. :thumbdown:

Lost_in_Space
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm

The trick is how to fix this....

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm

j0sh wrote:
My digital symbol coding sub test (processing speed) was 9 standard deviations lower than my best sub test.

I don't remember the difference, but my digit symbol was I believe my worst score on the entire test (in the "severely impaired" range). OTOH, my best score was block design. And I think if I had entirely slow processing they'd both be low, since block design is speed-based. I suspect part of it has to do with the kind of processing: Block design just requires having to match one thing to another thing in a fairly direct way without having to think "what is this thing?" Digit symbol requires having to see one symbol (a number), match it to a totally unrelated symbol, and then copy it somewhere else entirely. Which was incredibly aggravating and I did not get far. Whereas on block design I was fairly fast. So maybe it's like these people are saying, there's more than one aspect to processing speed and depending on how you are at any one part you may be faster or slower.

Truthful_One
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2013, 7:56 pm

Hey peoples, :D I have not been tested for this but just googled "slow information processing". Because I think this might be one of my issues. I mean, during a conversation, I used to not even think it's possible to digest what is going on, so I used to not even try. Except if I got the rare pleasure of talking to someone who talks facts, then that's great of course. SInce becoming aware of my deficits, I've studied some communication, and I take some stuff to not be so nervous, so now I can try to be a little more considerate, but a lot of times I still leave conversations thinking I've failed completely. I've realized, that in school I was always paying attention and tried to write down what I heard neatly, but I totally did not even try to learn it right then and there. I just wanted to have solid notes I can study later. I was a good student, but this fact I"m thinking makes me somewhat ret*d. Also, I'm a girl and not EXTREMELY Aspie so I've actually come across this slow processing in an emotional way. I'm thinking twice about watching a sad movie, because it will drag me down and keep me wrapped into its world for about 4 days, rendering me pretty useless. I think I'm always hung up on something instead of just happily moving on. I can get very obsessed with stuff too. The other day, I spent over a day just sitting at the computer trying to formulate an email right.
Is this slow info processing? :roll: Anyway, thoughts greatly appreciated!

Truthful_One
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

plus, anything we can eat so we get faster? :P