overlap between the Spectrum and INTJ ? ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

Here's a discussion board where people who self-identify as INTJ are basically saying they're not Aspie. And that's okay. I think they might be missing out, but we should still treat them with respect.

http://intjforum.com/archive/index.php/t-41568.html

In fact, I think we should welcome 'bridge persons' who share some Aspie traits but not others into our future organizations as co-advocates. And the UK is probably about three years ahead of where the U.S. is as far as Spectrum advocacy. But . . . the voting members need to be persons who are diagnosed as being on the Spectrum as well as (I hope!) persons who are self-diagnosed, for that's where I am. I have generally had negative and/or unhelpful experiences with so-called mental health professionals (cough, cough). And I am quite comfortable self-diagnosing myself as being on the Asperger's-Autism Spectrum.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 1:35 pm

God that thread totally did my head in. Too many people involved and too difficult to cross-reference. I didn't agree with some opinions on there from purported Aspies, be interested as to whether all of them are officially diagnosed.

I am an INTJ Aspie, and they were basically saying that the INTJ description reads like a description of an Aspie, but description is a far cry from diagnostic criteria and it only covers part of the behaviours not all. I'm sure there are introverted NTs who are different who are INTJ but not Aspie.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 3:26 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
. I'm sure there are introverted NTs who are different who are INTJ but not Aspie.

Yes, I am one.

The place where INTJ diverges greatly from Aspergers is in the "N" portion.

from the INTJ wiki:

Quote:
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.[9]

That is the opposite of how so many here at WP have described their way of percieving and organizing information.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

Janissy wrote:
That is the opposite of how so many here at WP have described their way of percieving and organizing information.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5271893.html&highlight=#5271893

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm

I noticed that a thread somewhere else - might have been stats, not sure - which was to do with MBTI personality types had something like 40% being INTJ, higher than anything else. Maybe there's some correlation there, I don't know.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

I´m an INFJ. About the same isn´t it?

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Although there is considerable overlap in those populations (think venn diagram), you can be one of those without being the other.

I have seen a good percentage on WP self-identify as INTJ, but not everyone is. ( I am a ISTJ). I believe the I (vs E) is the most prevalent factor for ASDs, but with that there are extroverts in the spectrum.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

First off i would argue meyers briggs test is little better than a horoscope. That said, INFJ myself, i think the IN and J do seem to line up with the spectrum,

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

14 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

I'm INTP. I thought this would be more "typical" for aspies. I'm not into controlling other people. I thought this was what the "judging" dynamic was about.

I'm quite a strong N. I do tend to prefer the bigger picture, over details, even if I'm not always good at perceiving it. I actually dislike certain (visual) details a lot; they make my head hurt due to NVLD. I'd say my academic success in law school is due to high abstract reasoning ability while my mediocre performance as an editor on the Law Review is more due to preferring the big picture over sweating inane details, especially visual/format ones.

I'm a strong "I" also and T. The P is because I'm a conformer and passive, not a leader or someone who likes to stand out by any means, though I somehow tend to fool people into thinking that I am a leader type, even though my performance as a leader is typically egregiously awful (executive dysfunction/multitasking difficulties). So I'd say P is strong too.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 6:22 pm

INTJ master-race reporting in.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm

I have had both success and failure as a leader. I think take a page from Ronald Reagan and get good at delegating.

*Ronnie Reagan very much marched to his own drummer. There is some case to be made that he himself was on the Spectrum.