Classic Autism and Aspergers are they really the same thing?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 4:02 pm

I don't particularly care what I'm called as long as it's accurate. The only reason I would feel uncomfortable saying I'm autistic is because I already get enough people disbelieving my Asperger's diagnosis, that to change to saying that I'm autistic (with the pop culture image of what that means and how you are supposed to be behaving) would cause even more consternation. But personally, I could really care less what it is called. Maybe I'm just too old to care at this point LOL

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 7:12 pm

sharkattack wrote:

I think understanding what goes on inside the brain of somebody with LFA would help me understand myself better.

You should read Carly's Voice. She is a LFA who has learned how to spell and is now giving insight into the experiences of a LFA.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 12:34 am

lady_katie wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

I think understanding what goes on inside the brain of somebody with LFA would help me understand myself better.

You should read Carly's Voice. She is a LFA who has learned how to spell and is now giving insight into the experiences of a LFA.

Thanks I think I will find myself a copy of that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

sharkattack wrote:
What I am asking could speech delay be just one Autism symptom that is present in some and not others?

yes, at least I think so.

sharkattack wrote:
Is Aspergers really just plain old Autism as the list of symptoms seems almost identical?

That is the idea, hence the reason I think the new DSM catagory of autism spectrum disorder without aspergers specifically makes more sense.

sharkattack wrote:
Also are people with low functioning Autism aware of it?

It probably depends on the individual, also functioning level can be somewhat subjective so can't really say one way or another.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 12:55 am

I think lumping it in all together is for the best.

The public thinks Autism is Rain Man and Aspergers is Sheldon Cooper.

To be honest before I began to suspect what was wrong with me all these years I knew very little about Autism.

Since I put together what I have Autism has become my main Obsession.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 2:13 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
. . . .. but all of this is bound to have people in the middle splitting hairs over traits like this and debating whether they're considered HFA or LFA.

Meh, I just call my friend by his first name. So much simpler than labels. :)

Here, Here! I like that. And good for you! :)

And institutions seem to "need" to classify people are either "low-"functioning or "high"-functioning. So much so that it would almost be a political statement to describe oneself as middle-functioning. :jester:

That "need" is laziness. Sticking people in boxes based on perceived "disabilities" makes it easier to treat people as a group of like objects rather than individuals.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Yes I know the cover answer Autism is a spectrum and no two individuals are the same.

I also know Aspergers has been replaced with the term Autism Spectrum Disorder along with all other forms of Autism.

We all know what we mean classic Autism can be very different from person to person as can Aspergers.

In classic Autism there is a childhood speech delay in Aspergers there is not.

What I am asking could speech delay be just one Autism symptom that is present in some and not others?

Is Aspergers really just plain old Autism as the list of symptoms seems almost identical?

Also are people with low functioning Autism aware of it?

Aspergers have a powerful identity yet the diagnosis is to vanish this year DSM-V

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/healt ... d=all&_r=0

Which makes me wonder about the concern for all who identify as the diagnosis itself firstly and secondly as who they are individually...

Classic Autism vs Aspergers? Thats wow... Classic case Autism to Aspergers? Severe vs Mild
Asperger's is seen my many as mildest of the mild or generally milder form of the spectrum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... iatric-dsm

Aspergers will be removed, and people reevaluated to either fall into the spectrum or into social communication or be diagnosis free

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 5:49 am

A lot seem to argue about this, and think there is only one type of Autism, without ranging from mild to severe.
The way I see it, like everything else, Autism range from mild to moderate to severe. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, not Autism, and I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome for nothing. They assessed me loads of times before being able to give me an accurate diagnosis, then they diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome. Why? Because although there was obviously some noticeable difference in my social behaviour, I was still able to interact with other children, and I coped well in mainstream school, needing just some support with my work and to talk to if I had any issues with anything that was making me anxious, etc. If I didn't get this support I still would probably of made it OK through mainstream school, only just fallen behind on my work some, and also perhaps a little less confident in my social and intellectual abilities. Apparently I wasn't ''severe'' enough to be put in a special school, and I didn't want to go to a special school either. I don't think that would have done much good for me. I am not above average intelligent, but I am just around average enough to be able to be taught at the same pace as typically developing children, only needing support from a teacher's assistant/mentor.

Also there's a lot of typical Autistic symptoms I don't have. I can recognise non-verbal social cues, even from a young age (looking back), and I ''get'' jokes and other forms of humour, and all of those things. Also I have always been very verbal, able to express my thoughts and emotions, and I reached all the right milestones at the average stages when I was a baby and toddler (my mum recorded it down in a log thing what all parents are given for their babies).

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 9:16 am

I was diagnosed with Asperger's but they never took into account the fact that speaking is next to impossible most of the time and when I do manage to speak, it is only fragments.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

Drehmaschine wrote:
I was diagnosed with Asperger's but they never took into account the fact that speaking is next to impossible most of the time and when I do manage to speak, it is only fragments.

Yes since I stated this thread I have got my diagnosis.

I have Autism Spectrum disorder.

A year ago it would have been Aspergers.

I was told I will get a detailed report in five to six weeks too.

Unlike you I do speak all over the place I am not shy.

However I have only one close friend and no relationship and I am useless at organizing my life.

So to answer your question forget your Aspergers you have Autism.

A few people that are a bit awkward might get kicked of the spectrum.

However for people like yourself and me we have Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Whats in a name anyway?