Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Growlithe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

I'm going to have to take an IQ test. The Adults WISC 4 to be exact. Is there anyway that I can study for it?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

It's been a while since I took a legit IQ test. You might want to study your vocab and mental math skills. I don't remember much, but I do remember those two things.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

I just took an eval.. and it was a mix of extreme highs and lows for me... No way I could have studied for it... All I know is that I scored 100 % on the visual memory test and I pretty badly flubbed the auditory and math and spatial stuff... And what ever that shape/color/pattern test was... all I heard was...

WRONG... WRONG... WRONG.... RIGHT! I meant WRONG!.... How depressing... I think I got a whopping 6 right on that out of a huge stack of cards...

Study? I don't think you can for most of it... Study math and spelling.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

08 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

Growlithe wrote:
I'm going to have to take an IQ test. The Adults WISC 4 to be exact. Is there anyway that I can study for it?

Practice accommodation (focusing far and near) and building things with blocks. I scored in the 2nd percentile in the symbol coding due to losing my place constantly. About the 20th percentile on the block test. Study word meanings, and nuances, if you're weak there. Also, digit spans is very easy to study for, probably (remembering strings of numbers told to you orally). And doing arithmetic in your head is easy to practice.

I didn't even know I would be taking an IQ test beforehand. I do awful on everything that involves me doing anything with my hands or while being watched, so I came away with exaggerated NVLD of a severity hardly even known to man kind.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm

I do not think you can study for the test.

I would not take the test seriously anyway. I doubt that it is normed for persons with autism. In addition, intelligence is too complex to measure.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

dajand8
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

practice taking free iq tests online and anything that develops your visual abilities

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 10:55 pm

Growlithe wrote:

Why on earth would you want to study for it? Surely you want the results to reflect the truth of you as you are, so that whatever it's needed for will yield the right results.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

08 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Growlithe wrote:

Why on earth would you want to study for it? Surely you want the results to reflect the truth of you as you are, so that whatever it's needed for will yield the right results.

I agree. Take it once cold, and then if you have deficits, do things to improve them and then retake it in a few years to see if your treatments were effective and also to see if they improve other things like your social and sensory issues.

That would be the most productive use of improvement strategies. But, by all means, take it cold the first time.

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2013, 2:54 am

I got pathetic results to an IQ test...they basically told me and my parents I would never manage to go to the university. Any spatial, math stuff was a disaster.
I got a master's degree though so don't read too much into your results...It all depends on what Aspie traits you possess. Remember they are designed for NT's