Cholesterol lowering meds and meltdowns

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:31 am

Just curious, those of you who have to take meds for high cholesterol, do any of you have more frequent and more severe meltdowns?

I had a pretty bad meltdown the day before yesterday where I injured myself and I had somewhat of a meltdown yesterday cursing like a sailor because I couldn't find one of my paintings. But this morning I got into a food fight with myself after some of the white fell off the rest of egg that I was putting on a saucer. I picked the fallen part up and was getting ready to put the rest of it with the rest of my egg when I snapped and threw it as hard as I can on the plate which missed and landed on the counter. That's when I started whacking at the egg white, bottles, salt shaker and everything went flying to the other side of kitchen. And I swung at this stuff 3 or 4 times before I gathered myself. There was pieces of egg all over the cabinet, floor and carpet. It was even on my frig. Bottles and the shaker on the floor as well. So I cleaned the mess up after I got done eating.

Since I've been back on cholesterol lowering meds my meltdowns have increase and are more severe again. I was taking Lipitor before when I was having such severe meltdowns which has even occurred as well when I'm out. But, when I'm not on these meds they aren't as bad or severe. This time I'm on a much safer cholesterol med that isn't a statin. I will be contacting a mental health professional to see why these meltdowns increase and why they are more severe after taking these meds for a while. I suspected it before when I was on Lipitor, but I'm certain that these meds is somehow affecting my brain that is causing these issue.

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2013, 9:17 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
Just curious, those of you who have to take meds for high cholesterol, do any of you have more frequent and more severe meltdowns?

I had a pretty bad meltdown the day before yesterday where I injured myself and I had somewhat of a meltdown yesterday cursing like a sailor because I couldn't find one of my paintings. But this morning I got into a food fight with myself after some of the white fell off the rest of egg that I was putting on a saucer. I picked the fallen part up and was getting ready to put the rest of it with the rest of my egg when I snapped and threw it as hard as I can on the plate which missed and landed on the counter. That's when I started whacking at the egg white, bottles, salt shaker and everything went flying to the other side of kitchen. And I swung at this stuff 3 or 4 times before I gathered myself. There was pieces of egg all over the cabinet, floor and carpet. It was even on my frig. Bottles and the shaker on the floor as well. So I cleaned the mess up after I got done eating.

Since I've been back on cholesterol lowering meds my meltdowns have increase and are more severe again. I was taking Lipitor before when I was having such severe meltdowns which has even occurred as well when I'm out. But, when I'm not on these meds they aren't as bad or severe. This time I'm on a much safer cholesterol med that isn't a statin. I will be contacting a mental health professional to see why these meltdowns increase and why they are more severe after taking these meds for a while. I suspected it before when I was on Lipitor, but I'm certain that these meds is somehow affecting my brain that is causing these issue.

Hi! You might be right about Lipitor causing brain problems. I just watched a health program on PBS where a doctor said that he had seen patients actually develop Alzheimer's-like symptoms on cholesterol-lowering drugs. Their symptoms vanished when they stopped taking the drug. Even on lower doses the problems occurred. I hope you will find relief. Sorry you're suffering. Meltdowns make life miserable. :cry:

Amelia
mom of identical twin adult Aspies and probably Aspie myself

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

I have taken Lipitor, but it didn't work a bit to lower cholesterol, as my high count is caused by genetics. It had bad side effects, but I don't recall any mental or emotional ones. It absolutely caused "male malfunctions", and that of course can cause frustration and depression.

Charles

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I have taken Lipitor, but it didn't work a bit to lower cholesterol, as my high count is caused by genetics. It had bad side effects, but I don't recall any mental or emotional ones. It absolutely caused "male malfunctions", and that of course can cause frustration and depression.

Charles

I also have genetic Cholesterol and that could be partly why my meltdowns are more severe. Though Lipitor brought my cholesterol down with diet of course, I was having a lot of crippling pain along with suicidal thoughts and depression. Also my meltdowns were really severe then. I refused to take another darn statin after trying 5 of them which all caused side effects. This arrogant doctor I have now would not give me any alternatives. So I took it upon myself to take something without side effects. Except for the increased and more severe meltdowns I haven't had any other side effects on the med I'm taking now. But, I'm beginning to see that this cholesterol lowering med will be short lived also if I continue to snap like I did this morning. And besides it is usually something else that cause a person to pass away and the medical profession has not been able to prove that high cholesterol is the cause of death. Even people with low cholesterol is treated with statins. Although I've always had high cholesterol I was never treated for it until about 20 years ago and I'm 66.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:

And besides it is usually something else that cause a person to pass away and the medical profession has not been able to prove that high cholesterol is the cause of death. Even people with low cholesterol is treated with statins. Although I've always had high cholesterol I was never treated for it until about 20 years ago and I'm 66.

There are a lot of factors involved, and the ratio of "good" to "bad" cholesterol is more important than the numbers. The only issue I know of with cholesterol causing problems or death, is artery blockage from plaque. In my case, the numbers are dreadful (high ratio, and triglycerides near 600 8O ! But I'm 46, and my arteries are as clear as a teen athlete's, and no hint of any plaque. I just had an abdominal artery scan yesterday to confirm it. So the moral of the story is to look at the whole picture, and not just one test result... And not to start medicating things that might not be the threat to all people that they're made out to be.

Charles

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:

And besides it is usually something else that cause a person to pass away and the medical profession has not been able to prove that high cholesterol is the cause of death. Even people with low cholesterol is treated with statins. Although I've always had high cholesterol I was never treated for it until about 20 years ago and I'm 66.

There are a lot of factors involved, and the ratio of "good" to "bad" cholesterol is more important than the numbers. The only issue I know of with cholesterol causing problems or death, is artery blockage from plaque. In my case, the numbers are dreadful (high ratio, and triglycerides near 600 8O ! But I'm 46, and my arteries are as clear as a teen athlete's, and no hint of any plaque. I just had an abdominal artery scan yesterday to confirm it. So the moral of the story is to look at the whole picture, and not just one test result... And not to start medicating things that might not be the threat to all people that they're made out to be.

Charles

I know what you mean about the whole lipid panel which I will be taking at the end of this month. My good cholesterol is plenty high enough. I just recently had the same artery scan you did and there is absolutely no plaque. Because of my age this young cocky and arrogant doctor was just bent on seeing how much he can find wrong with me so he can prescribed a half dozen drugs to me just so the pockets of the Pharms can be fattened and of course to line their own pockets. I just don't trust doctors anymore and I refuse to go back to this new doctor because of his cocky and arrogant attitude. I've had some bad doctors, but he is the worst and I'm not falling for it after what I went through with the doctor before him. But at least the doctor before him was very nice to me; I felt like an experiment with him and besides he was wanting to have unnecessary surgery done on me which is why I got another opinion.

:chin:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:47 am

if you eat a low-acid diet [no white stuff] your cholesterol numbers will [over a year or two] come down naturally, plus you will lose weight without even trying. i am a living example. the mechanism of high cholesterol/artery hardening is a chain of events starting with elevated insulin levels [in response to too much digestion of refined carbs] which causes the blood PH to turn too far towards the acidic side, which causes the walls of your blood vessels to wear prematurely, which causes the extra cholesterol to be generated to patch all those worn spots in those blood vessels, which accumulates and hardens [the arteries/veins], which raises blood pressure which causes yet more vessel wall damage which causes more cholesterol, et al, in a vicious circle. this was the explanation i got from dr. feelgood. as a science experiment on oneself, try giving up the white stuff for a while and see what happens. :idea: