Any of you people have meltdowns due to ignorance?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

soulblazer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

The thing I hate most is ignorance. Like people convinced the Titanic never existed.... such people made me really mad. I was watching National Geografic and they were talking about a synaesthetic woman. My mom never heard of such condition and went on about "that woman must be a freak". I tend to have anger meltdowns (I can stop them, I wish I could...) when people say something ignorant or plain stupid. I told my mom: "If you don't know about a topic then don't even open your mouth... you risk to be wrong and other people may think of you as ignorant"

My mom went on: "that woman should be in a mental hospital because seeing sound as colors must mean she's crazy or mentally ret*d". Such ignorant comment caused a anger meltdown on me. I said to her: "What? Synaesthetic people usually are geniouses. And... you've been on the mental hospital over 30 times (she's bipolar) and you think you are the right person to say who should be hospitalized and who shouldn't? That's hypocrite". :roll: She threw me out of the room.

Other day my mom and I entered on a church because it was raining and my mom went on and on how I'm going to hell because I prefer science. I was so mad over the whole ignorance that I started to have trouble to breathe and I also started to rock back and fourth. My mom was infuriated and said to me: "Stop that! You are not allowed to do that thing (the rocking)! People are staring at us and they would think you are stupid! You are not autistic!"
She threatened me that if continued the rocking she would take me to a priest.

She's been like that since a teacher told I could have Asperger's. I think she's overreacting for a simple speculation, I'm not diagnosed and we can't pay a diagnosis. Someone told her (not the teacher) "Asperger's die alone"... I don't know who told her such nonsense. So... she gets furious at the presence of any "autistic behavior" because she won't get any grandchildren. What do you people think? Any of you guys gets mad at ignorant comments? Her ignorance drives me mad...

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

8O

I hate ignorant people too. And your mother really needs to learn more about autism. You certainly sound as though you are autistic - but take my word for it, because I'm not an experienced psychologist. Anyway, regardless of whether you are autistic or not, I don't think bringing you to a priest will help anything. You're obviously not possessed by demons or anything like that.

And she told you that you were going to hell because you preferred science? And she thinks she has the right to decide who goes to a mental hospital or not? No wonder you're going mad. I'd be going crazy too if I had a mom like that.

Edit: I don't have meltdowns due to ignorance, by the way.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:02 pm

Ignorant people are my Achilles' Heel. I can handle drunks better than I can handle ignorant people. Most people are a little ignorant about something and that's okay, but there is a certain section of the population that takes it to a whole level. It encompasses them. It IS them. No amount of facts will ever sway them.

I used to have meltdowns, but that has since curbed a little as I've aged. Now I just ignore them. Just smile, nod and ignore.

No offense, but your mom sounds like a real toxic B. Personally, I'd be avoiding her like herpes. I can't fathom dealing with a person like that.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm

Often ignorant people don't have the capability to feel shame. So it's really hopeless. They are ignorant of their ignorance. There is no cure for that. So, there's no point in trying to argue with people like that. The best you can do is to avoid them.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

OK, so she thinks getting an exorcism will drive out your autistic manifestations that are "possessing" you?!? That, to me, is the pinnacle of ignorance. Duh. THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!! 8O

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2013, 12:58 am

I would have to say that yes, ignorant people combined with the frustration of my inability to communicate the facts to effectively educate said ignorant people is probably the number one cause of meltdowns for me. Most other cases of overload usually result in a shutdown in my case.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2013, 10:00 am

jk1 wrote:
Often ignorant people don't have the capability to feel shame. So it's really hopeless. They are ignorant of their ignorance. There is no cure for that. So, there's no point in trying to argue with people like that. The best you can do is to avoid them.

He can't exactly avoid his mother ...

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 10:50 am

Well, you're mother's definitely ignorant and psycho. The fact that she believes what "somebody said" over the evidence in front of her eyes is enough to qualify her for ignorant, psycho, and stupid.

You can't change those people. They don't want to learn. They already know everything there is to know.

Your best bet is to shut up and ignore. Sometimes you can get them to listen to you by appealing to their intelligence-- not giving them facts and trusting that they're smart enough to use them, but praising them throughly. "Someone as smart as you might consider..."

To do that, though, you have to spend a lot of time flattering them. And you have to be good at it.

Let's see. You are-- what?? 22 or 23?? Get the hell out of there.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

I can't stand my own ignorance on a subject - that sends me into a meltdown but yes I agree about those people who call you names because they can't understand your behaviour, which to them is weird or strange: You must fit in. You must do this or that to be considered normal (whatever that is). We stick out like a sore thumb and they don't like sore thumbs. It's like The Emperor's New Clothes, where we are the rude little boy who points out the Emperor is naked, instead of keeping our mouths shut and pretending everything is normal like everybody else does. This in fact reminds me of some incident that both I and two other people I know of, experienced. We all saw UFOs in three different incidents (none of us has met as we live in different parts of the UK) but everyone around us acted as if nothing was there and all was normal (At least in two cases - in the third, the person pointed out that they could see the UFO to their parents, who immediately sped off in their car like the Devil himself was after them.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

Ignorance is the cause of most of the worlds problems, hate, war, violence...inequality...

If more people took the time to understand the other side then maybe we could live in equilibrium.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

I get angry about ignorance too. The other day I shared a pic on Facebook about the top 5 carcinogenic foods, and extolled the virtues of eating an organic diet and how certain things found in nature can actually help cure cancer (that the FDA doesn't want you to know about because, let's face it, if everyone went all-natural then the bigwigs in charge of expensive treatments and medications wouldn't get their $$$)

Anyway... one of my so-called "friends" posted a status on her own wall that, while not directly mentioning me, said that anyone who believes in the power of organic diets is "full of s**t". She's a huge hypocrite because she always gets butthurt over people not believing in her own out-of-left-field beliefs and conspiracy theories, and yet she thinks it's fine to crap all over other people's beliefs. :x

I came very close to having a meltdown over the whole thing and defriended and blocked her.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

[quote="soulblazer"] My mom went on: "that woman should be in a mental hospital because seeing sound as colors must mean she's crazy or mentally ret*d". Such ignorant comment caused a anger meltdown on me. I said to her: "What? Synaesthetic people usually are geniouses. . quote]

You and your mom are both wrong. Synesthesia doesn't correlate with mental illness or mental retardation but it also doesn't correlate with being a genius.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

Dragoness wrote:
jk1 wrote:

He can't exactly avoid his mother ...

Well..., you are right... Maybe he has to move out then, as someone suggested?

---

Sorry for being off the topic, but I want to know the top 5 carcinogenic foods that Idaho mentioned. What are they?

---

Any way, there's no cure for ignorant bigots. Ignore them and/or laugh at them.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

jk1 wrote:
Any way, there's no cure for ignorant bigots. Ignore them and/or laugh at them.

I don't think having him laugh at his mother would help the situation. In fact, I think it would make the situation worse.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm

Despite keeping a laid-back attitude and a proactive mind, I have gotten subtly angry with ignorant people online and offline, and they think they're right about something until something actually contradicts to what they're saying. I don't get meltdowns from ignorance, I feel burned out from it because I find out they're unable to be reasoned with despite trying to peacefully talking it out. Ignorance is bliss: they'll realize they were wrongly happy for being foolishly clueless once the truth is revealed.

Last edited by younginflavor18 on 07 Apr 2013, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 9:20 pm

soulblazer wrote:
The thing I hate most is ignorance. Like people convinced the Titanic never existed.... such people made me really mad. I was watching National Geografic and they were talking about a synaesthetic woman. My mom never heard of such condition and went on about "that woman must be a freak". I tend to have anger meltdowns (I can stop them, I wish I could...) when people say something ignorant or plain stupid. I told my mom: "If you don't know about a topic then don't even open your mouth... you risk to be wrong and other people may think of you as ignorant"

My mom went on: "that woman should be in a mental hospital because seeing sound as colors must mean she's crazy or mentally ret*d". Such ignorant comment caused a anger meltdown on me. I said to her: "What? Synaesthetic people usually are geniouses. And... you've been on the mental hospital over 30 times (she's bipolar) and you think you are the right person to say who should be hospitalized and who shouldn't? That's hypocrite". :roll: She threw me out of the room.

Other day my mom and I entered on a church because it was raining and my mom went on and on how I'm going to hell because I prefer science. I was so mad over the whole ignorance that I started to have trouble to breathe and I also started to rock back and fourth. My mom was infuriated and said to me: "Stop that! You are not allowed to do that thing (the rocking)! People are staring at us and they would think you are stupid! You are not autistic!"
She threatened me that if continued the rocking she would take me to a priest.

She's been like that since a teacher told I could have Asperger's. I think she's overreacting for a simple speculation, I'm not diagnosed and we can't pay a diagnosis. Someone told her (not the teacher) "Asperger's die alone"... I don't know who told her such nonsense. So... she gets furious at the presence of any "autistic behavior" because she won't get any grandchildren. What do you people think? Any of you guys gets mad at ignorant comments? Her ignorance drives me mad...

I can start to meltdown if someone continues to do something wrong despite my instructions clarifying the correct way, and appears incompetent.

BTW your thread is about ignorance and your criticism of it, I have bolded your spelling/grammatical errors (left some because I think English might not be your first language so I didn't want to go overboard!) which is kind of ignorance of correct spelling/grammar. Sorry to be pedantic, it was just ironic.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum