brain - multiple parallel thought channels

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

Do many of us autistics have multiple parallel thought channels?
I have counted 8 total parallel channels. 1, main thinking, 2, my main subconscious and 6 others that can think independently of the others.

The 6 other channels are hard to very hard to control. Only a few times in my life I have been able to use them to truly multi task. If am let them go on their own they often torment me. So, I usually try to keep them busy doing fun thinking things that take years for each to complete.

My searching did not find much.
I have always wondered if it is from the child abuse and neglect during my early years. I know multi personalities start that way, and maybe that started but did not finish, leaving me with the type multiple parallel thoughts.

If I can get them to work for me, it can make other believe I am very intelligent. So, I do not use them when others can see what I'm doing.

I am really hoping this is a more common or autistic thing, I really do not like thinking I am truly a freak that I often feel I am.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:10 am

I generally think in serial mode ie one thought topic at a time

If in conversation with a person I can be keeping track of the conversation and think about something else but then I will lose track of the conversation so there's only one space in my 'array'

There's a lack of spare channels for self-monitoring or thinking of the longer term repercussions of that I say

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

The OP's ability is some kind of talent, I think. It must be handy to be able to think concurrently about different things.

If the right amount of child abuse causes it, then maybe we should start abusing children and stop abusing at the right time. In that way we can create competent people. It would be difficult to determine the right amount of child abuse though. Maybe it can be a research topic for scientists.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:46 am

jk1 wrote:
The OP's ability is some kind of talent, I think. It must be handy to be able to think concurrently about different things.

If the right amount of child abuse causes it, then maybe we should start abusing children and stop abusing at the right time. In that way we can create competent people. It would be difficult to determine the right amount of child abuse though. Maybe it can be a research topic for scientists.

jk1, I'm disappointed that you'd say something like that, even in jest.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 11:48 am

I am unsure if I have this. I do tend to focus on one topic but I am aware of other thoughts going on in the background whizzing around although they are not being focused on at that moment. Hence my username.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

OlivG
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 11:51 am

Sounds like DID.

You can also consciously create personalities (Tulpae). It's slightly different from DID though. They can indeed have their own thoughts and operate simultaneously with the operator (host), and you can also switch places with them.

http://tulpa.info/forums/Thread-Kiahdaj ... -to-Tulpas

In the early development of the consciousness, it will be hard to distinguish between their thoughts and your own, but if you treat them like separate consciousnesses then they will eventually grow up to be ones.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

jk1 wrote:

NO!! ! child abuse sucked. My head is still screwed up!

If others have it, I am interested about there lives and how it works for them. Did they go through child abuse, grow up among crop fields that were sprayed with DDT, or ???.

Does the child abuse cause the parallel thoughts to torment?

When they use it around the general public does it draw LOTS of attention? Make them think you are GOD like?

Is it normal to feel like a freak?

What would be some cool thing to use it for? I have many interests.

So far, I have used it to run a busy full service restaurant, running models of Earth's evolution, tough mathematics problems and trying to understand how other peoples brains work, is all I have come up with.
It can take a year to give just one thought path a task and it has to be challenging or it will not stay.
It is fun to have each running different thought. They run by themselves and only pop thoughts into my main thinking when something if found or needed. - and knowing they are not going to torment me.

My fingers are crossed that others have it too, at any level. Finding OP has really helped me feel less of a freak, I am hoping eventually I will find it is all just normal stuff - like autism..

Faye712
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

My shrink tells me my ability to do this is called compartmentalizing and I do it none stop without much thought. However I have learned to focus all trains of thought onto one topic. This I do very rarely because it feels like I become a computer at the core of many information channels and I loose my humanity. When I use this "ability" on a person they feel like a worm on a hook and often don't come near me again. My shrink also says it is in direct relation to my severe child abuse and complex PTSD. It is a mechanism I developed out of fear and fear of showing fear. I hope this helps you.

NT: 44
MBTI: INTP

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 12:27 pm

Isn't it a positive trait? If you can think multiple things concurrently, then you are far more efficient, aren't you? I think it's a fantastic ability. I have never experienced anything like that myself. OK, the term child abuse sounds bad, but some kind of simulation of it might be a better way of wording it. Or is it actually more of a negative trait somehow? The way it was described in the OP sounds really positive. I would be very happy to have such an ability.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:26 pm

i have something simular, although i have less active threads at any time.
aside from the 'monitoring' toughts (which keep track of my surroundings to allow me to fit in better and prevent meltdowns) and the main thoughts, i have about 3 sidethoughts, which are usually just random.
i have decent control though; i oftentimes use one of them to complain about the noise, lights and whatever more, letting off steam without anyone noticing, and another to prepare what i am going to say next.

i am capable of 'fusing' the 4 thoughts (1 main and 3 sides) together on a single process, but that takes incredible amounts of energy, so i rarely do so. the last times i can remember i focussed all my energy on remaining in control during an overload...

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

Faye712 wrote:
My shrink tells me my ability to do this is called compartmentalizing and I do it none stop without much thought. However I have learned to focus all trains of thought onto one topic. This I do very raerely because it feels like I become a computer at the core of many information channels and I loose my humanity. When I use this "ability" on a person they feel like a worm on a hook and often don't come near me again. My shrink also says it is in direct relation to my severe child abuse and complex PTSD. It is a mechanism I developed out of fear and fear of showing fear. I hope this helps you.

Thank you. It sounds much like what I expected. My first memory of it was around the most abusive abuse at around age 4. It seemed like it happened at one time while watching my older brother who was 5, taking the horrible abuse.

Does your mind torment you? if you found how to stop it, I am most interested.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 3:45 pm

jk1 wrote:
Isn't it a positive trait? If you can think multiple things concurrently, then you are far more efficient, aren't you? I think it's a fantastic ability. I have never experienced anything like that myself. OK, the term child abuse sounds bad, but some kind of simulation of it might be a better way of wording it. Or is it actually more of a negative trait somehow? The way it was described in the OP sounds really positive. I would be very happy to have such an ability.

For me it takes lots of work and time. The only time I used it around people, they thought my IQ was stupidly high. It did allow me to make a restaurant extremely busy, work with the police to stop violent crimes and become a rapid rising politician ( although, I was just playing around and did not want to become governor at a young age.) So yes, it can make a person more powerful. But it also made me a freak on parade.

Over the last 30 years, I just use it to do fun thinking... But being bi-polar, when my swings are low, it really is a bad thing, as I can not focus and control it.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

AnOldHFA wrote:
jk1 wrote:

For me it takes lots of work and time. The only time I used it around people, they thought my IQ was stupidly high. It did allow me to make a restaurant extremely busy, work with the police to stop violent crimes and become a rapid rising politician ( although, I was just playing around and did not want to become governor at a young age.) So yes, it can make a person more powerful. But it also made me a freak on parade.

How does it make you a freak and why does that matter?

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 8:52 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
AnOldHFA wrote:
jk1 wrote:

How does it make you a freak and why does that matter?[/quote

I guess, I feel totally worthless, because of the way so many people talked about me growing up. We moved around a lot, so it was a lot of people who said "Your are stupid and worthless" some school teachers added "and will always be". I have never been able to get those worlds out of my head. There were a few who explained I was not what they said. Then, all of a sudden millions of people started saying that I was really smart, at everything I did. Even during those months, some people were saying I was stupid, real contrast.

I accept being a freak, it helps me.

Funny, this web site, long ago, I use to tell everyone "I am not from this planet"...

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2013, 9:00 am

I used to have this when I was young, and I learned to focus all parallel thoughts on the same subject, and did some incredible work in Artificial Intelligence that way. I did have DID and PTSD from a traumatic childhood. The older I got, the less I had of this, and it went away totally by the age of 40. I would love to have it back! My opinion is, who cares what the cause is, learn to use it to look at the big picture of a problem at hand, taking multiple things into consideration at once, and you'll be able to do brilliant things while you have that ability.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

RedwoodCat wrote:
I used to have this when I was young, and I learned to focus all parallel thoughts on the same subject, and did some incredible work in Artificial Intelligence that way. I did have DID and PTSD from a traumatic childhood. The older I got, the less I had of this, and it went away totally by the age of 40. I would love to have it back! My opinion is, who cares what the cause is, learn to use it to look at the big picture of a problem at hand, taking multiple things into consideration at once, and you'll be able to do brilliant things while you have that ability.

Very interesting. I seem to still have mine. Then too, I was also in a relationship with a abuse woman. She is jail for abusing our children.

they are very helpful for solving tough problems.. All I have to do is keep thinking, highly focused, on what I want one to do, then I feel less things popping in to my head. Then I repeat till nothing is popping into my head. Each problem can be very different, but has to be truly challenging.

I will get random thoughts popping in with the answer or asking for more details.

Each thought train can access memories, sight, sound and so on.

I believe my hallucinations come from idle thought trains. And they create very creative dreams.

I have always used them. I had too, they terrorise me.