Is Peter Griffin from Family Guy an autistic savant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2015, 10:17 pm

I know it's hard to believe at first, but the more you think about it, the more it makes sense. He has a complete lack of social skills and was diagnosed with mental disability in the episode "Petarded" (which people on the lower functioning realm of the spectrum have frequently been misdiagnosed with) and while usually appearing to be an idiot, he has an incredibly large knowledge base regarding popular culture (particularly television and film), being able to reference the most obscure and esoteric episodes of TV series and make unusual insights about them. Had this knowledge existed in virtually any other field than popular culture, he would not be seen as an idiot but a savant.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2015, 1:43 am

Maybe. But he's also a sociopath, or maybe NPD. He doesn't just hurt people by accident because of poor social skills; he really just doesn't seem to care if he hurts people.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:12 pm

No.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:25 pm

Peter Griffin is an animated fictional character, and a caricature of the "Doofus Dad"; thus he cannot have autism, but only be portrayed as being stupid.

Although one episode did have him outed as "Mildly ret*d".

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 4:09 pm

I would think not but in the FG universe god is mildly autistic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJrFhknMmE

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2015, 8:09 pm

JoelFan wrote:
I would think not but in the FG universe god is mildly autistic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJrFhknMmE

Heh, I forgot about that scene. Also Peter claims that the Grimace (from McDonald's advertising) is autistic in one episode, although "autistic" was changed to "ret*d" in Adult Swim airings, much to my chagrin.

TheLeechLord
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2015, 11:56 pm

The answer would be a no.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2015, 1:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Peter Griffin is an animated fictional character, and a caricature of the "Doofus Dad"; thus he cannot have autism, but only be portrayed as being stupid.

Could I just say I appreciate the post you make, such as the one above, in each of these "is animated character X autistic?" threads.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2015, 6:08 am

i remember all the times autism was featured on family guy..
2 were on tom tuckers news.. one of the times was about us using it as an excuse to be rude or something lol.
one was peter griffin sitting next to a wheelchair woman flailing her arms around and screaming.
another was when peter was testing if chris griffin was autistic by making loud noises banging things by his ears.
and then theres the one where it was revealed god was 'mildly autistic' and didnt like being touched.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 6:13 am

Fnord wrote:

He was tested with having an IQ < 60 and diagnosed by the Rhode Island.
He then went on disability.

Chris71186
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2015, 9:49 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I know it's hard to believe at first, but the more you think about it, the more it makes sense. He has a complete lack of social skills and was diagnosed with mental disability in the episode "Petarded" (which people on the lower functioning realm of the spectrum have frequently been misdiagnosed with) and while usually appearing to be an idiot, he has an incredibly large knowledge base regarding popular culture (particularly television and film), being able to reference the most obscure and esoteric episodes of TV series and make unusual insights about them. Had this knowledge existed in virtually any other field than popular culture, he would not be seen as an idiot but a savant.

Peter Griffin's just an idiot. Nothing more, nothing less. If I see an episode where he starts talking about quantum theory or philosophy than I might have to reconsider my stance, until than I have to conclude that Peter's social skills are a result of his stupidity.