Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 6:18 pm

I have been reading that people with AS do not show emotions. I don't understand this. Does that mean that when a person has AS they don't laugh or smile like other people do? Does that mean when a person has AS that they will not cry a lot when they are hurt or depressed? Does that mean that a person with AS would not get angry outbursts if they are under tremendous stress? If this is the case then I think I have certainly been misdiagnosed.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 6:46 pm

nah it's just one factor in the spectrum and the "scale" of demonstration can vary greatly, esp from person to person.
It's probably more of a communication issue of broadcasting or displaying complex (learned) physical patterns that are mostly pointless to the inner processing of the emotional traffic.
Learning to artificially display "expected" emotional profiling is a difficulty for people on the spectrum, perhaps in part because it seems contrived -and therefore a lie- and perhaps because artificial neural processing just to make others "feel more comfortable about expectations" may seem kinda of a waste when it reduces actual problem solving bandwidth.

plus the platitudes rained down on a person displaying emotional patterns are generally non-literal, confusing, and in many cases outright angeringly pointless.

Self-protection for many aspies involves 'resolution of the issue' (which cannot be done effectively if the issue is muddied or its veracity is denied)
Self-protection for NTs appears to be herd-like; everyone clusters together gives hugs and platitudes and -at worst- the odds of being the one eaten goes down.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 6:49 pm

My Asperger's is light but I laugh occasionally, especially at some of the dumb situations on TV. I did know a more seriously autistic man when I worked in a nursing and he laughed. I used to crack him up with some of the things I'd say sometimes. I never knew about crying, though. Never made him cry.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 6:11 am

I laugh and smile a lot, most of the times when I shouldn't or when other people don't.
The happiness I feel most of the times is shallow, and goes away after a few minutes.
When I feel real happiness, I usually jump around.
I hardly ever feel sad or depressed, therefore I hardly ever cry.
Even when I'm actually sad, I don't cry most of the times.
I get angry a lot, and I often have rage outbursts.
During these rage outbursts I often scream and/or kick things.

Kafke
Raven
Raven

12 May 2013, 6:18 am

I almost never smile. Too difficult. Makes me look like a freak. My parents would never buy my school photos because they were always terrible.

I do laugh at stuff, but not stuff NTs laugh at. I seem to have my own sense of humour. It's not common, but I can get laughing hard sometimes.

I pretty much never cry. There's only been a few times I've ever cried in my life. A few times when I was a kid for various things (bullied, getting hurt, hair being combed, etc). Now that I'm older, I don't usually cry. I did once when my Grandpa died (but not because he died). That was a combo of me forcing myself to cry because everyone else was and I didn't understand why I wasn't. I tried to force myself to do so. Then I actually cried when I watched an episode of My Little Pony that resonated with me pretty deeply. I also sometimes cry if I start thinking about how sh***y things are.

I get angry a lot. In crowds, when people are being slow or stupid, if people aren't following rules, etc. It's pretty easy to get me worked up.

You are very likely an Aspie

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:27 am

I know a lot of NT men that don't display emotions as much as women do. Or maybe they show it differently. I've seen more women cry than men in my life.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:12 pm

I don't show much emotion. I probably haven't cried in almost 3 years. Recently one of my doctors told me he had trouble reading me because I didn't show much emotion. When I was younger I remember a lot of reports about me mention me having a flat affect.

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2013, 12:45 pm

I am very emotionally demonstrative, to the point that other people have told me I seem childish. I'm not sure if this is common.