Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

Aka Wellbutrin, Budeprion, Prexaton, Elontril, Aplenzin
It's an anti-depressant to get me out of my lowpoint. It's also noted to have beneficial effects to focus and sleeping issues. So here's to hoping it'll work.

Took my first pill today.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 8:43 pm

Don't be too surprised if it doesn't work. Some of the research I have seen on antidepressants says they are no better than a sugar pill. However, that is between you and your psychiatrist. I also hope you are getting psychotherapy from a licensed psychologist.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

The "antidepressants = placebo" studies are very overblown. All they prove is that if you're not depressed antidepressants won't do anything for you (if you remove the most mildly depressed patients from the stdudies, then they show a statistically significant benefit over placebo; they shouldn't have put such questionably depressed people in the study in the first place).

As far as my experience, they make a difference. And, without them talking about issues goes around and around with red herrings and no resolutions. YMMV, though.

Bupropion didn't work for me, though, possibly because it's not good for anxiety. It felt like caffeine (which interestingly shows an anti-suicide effect in research).

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

Bupropion induces extreme irritability in me, as well as complete and total insomnia until several days after I discontinue using it. After seven days with no sleep, I begin to experience symptoms of acute psychosis. I just don't get why any psychiatrist would think adding a norepinephrine agonist and/or reuptake inhibitor to an already irritable and nervous person's brain would be a good idea. Dopamine, sure, but not norepinephrine.

kanashimoo
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2013, 4:15 am

I take wellbutrin 300mg, and it took about 2 months before I noticed any effects. I feel mildly more happy for no reason whatsoever. It's no miracle though, I'm still pretty deep low.hasn't had any major effect on my life but I do feel better.it's the only anti depressant I've ever tried. As far as I can see, no side effects.

But yeah, ymmv.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2013, 10:35 am

Buttoneater wrote:
Bupropion induces extreme irritability in me, as well as complete and total insomnia until several days after I discontinue using it. After seven days with no sleep, I begin to experience symptoms of acute psychosis. I just don't get why any psychiatrist would think adding a norepinephrine agonist and/or reuptake inhibitor to an already irritable and nervous person's brain would be a good idea. Dopamine, sure, but not norepinephrine.
Did those side-effects take place immediately or after a few days/weeks?

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

Took Wellbutrin awhile ago and it worked for about 2-3 years. I didn't have any noticeable side effects.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2013, 11:27 am

sixstring wrote:
Buttoneater wrote:
Did those side-effects take place immediately or after a few days/weeks?

After a few days. It's been a number of years so I don't recall exactly how long it took. I required heavy prescriptions of sedatives to get to sleep after the psychosis began, but that cleared the symptoms right up. Still, it was nowhere near as bad as when I was on effexor. They had to give me chloral hydrate* to put me to sleep when I was on that. I warned the damn doctor ahead of time that that would happen, since the same exact thing happens to my dad with them. I fired him after he'd put me on wellbutrin, zoloft, and effexor, then suggested some other drug that works exactly the same way anyway. He always seemed far more interested in getting his papers published than actually treating my complaints.

*An extremely primitive hypnotic that is rarely used today due to it's carcinogenic quality and it's potential as a date-rape/robbery drug.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

I was on Wellbutrin for a few years and aside from hand tremors, I didn't have many complaints about it. It did help me when I was having extreme depression, I noticed a difference in a couple of weeks in terms of mood, and it helped me stay stable. I have since switched to another anti-depressant that has helped me more, but Wellbutrin was probably a life-saver for me back when I needed it after five suicide attempts. I didn't attempt again after I started taking it.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 8:10 pm

My psychiatrist raised my dose from 100 mg to 300mg for some reason... I begin the 300 mg tomorow, I'll see how it go...

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 8:26 pm

I've been on 150mg Welbutrin for the past month. I think it felt okay most of the time, but sometimes I felt dizzy and I often felt numb. After meeting with my therapist for about 4 months, figuring out the whole AS thing and how it impacts my anxiety, the doc started me on Buspar for anxiety in the evening. With that combination, though, I felt really anxious all day and kind of blunted (not stoned, but very emotionally flat) all night and in the morning. They changed things up again and now I'm taking 75mg Welbutrin in the morning and 7.5mg Buspar 2x per day. So far, this seems to be working pretty well. I actually ran a meeting today and it went well (with minimal stimming during and a good chunk of alone time after).

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 2:00 am

It helped my anxiety and focus but I got a lot of vivid dreams, false awakenings etc.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

Buttoneater wrote:

Fior is on bupropion, and it makes him irritable as hell. I wish he would discontinue it, but being an Aspie he hates change and confrontation. I've explained to him the shrink doesn't care if you take a pill, or not. He doesn't stand up for himself, at all, and I don't go with him to the office visits.

I took bupropion. I shook so bad, I looked like a crackhead going through withdrawals. I also halluncinated on higher doses. That was the only drug that ever did it that to me.

Shrinks try bupropion first because the sexual side affects are supposedly less.

Parnate is the only antidepressant that ever worked a damn for me.

Huckster
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm

Just in case anyone stumbles across.... Bupropion is excellent for me, especially in combination with buspirone. Sweet spot. I can focus, and anxiety drops away.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

Yeah it was like being way too high on stimulants to the point of unpleasantness. But it doesn't effect everyone that way.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

I felt more alert and so on, however I did have a lot of funky dreams and false awakenings.