Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

After reading the eye contact thread, it brought this to mind. Has anyone had that invasive feeling of eye contact merely from the physical presence/proximity of other people? It happens to me sometimes when interacting with others, especially in a one on one conversation. The lens shifts on me and they become almost magnified, or more "there". They've suddenly reverted into an overwhelming presence and then I beat a hasty retreat. :oops:
Has anyone else experienced this, or have a possible explanation? I have a hard time being around any other people afterwards. :? I'm uncomfortable hearing someone call my name sometimes, too and wonder about the commonality of all three.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 10:20 am

I've felt the hyperawareness of other people simply from them being in the same house as me before, to the point where everything in my body told me to get out and get as far away from people as possible.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

Boy, has this happened to me, to the point of never being able to relax .

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm

I have this too - I think it comes from not being able to predict social patterns, so we remain hyper-aware of any presence around us, so that we are always "On" so to speak. And that can be exhausting.

mkeogh
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2013, 1:17 am

only happens when i'm trying to sleep, work or if i'm freaking out
though walking in while i'm sleeping can make me freak out, takes me
a while to wake up so if i'm suddenly woken up anyone within 10 feet or throwing distance
isn't probably doing well, oddly though i'm fine if someone shouts from downstairs
or turns on loud and annoying music to wake me up- any human presence just sets me off

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 3:09 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
After reading the eye contact thread, it brought this to mind. Has anyone had that invasive feeling of eye contact merely from the physical presence/proximity of other people? It happens to me sometimes when interacting with others, especially in a one on one conversation. The lens shifts on me and they become almost magnified, or more "there". They've suddenly reverted into an overwhelming presence and then I beat a hasty retreat. :oops:
Has anyone else experienced this, or have a possible explanation? I have a hard time being around any other people afterwards. :? I'm uncomfortable hearing someone call my name sometimes, too and wonder about the commonality of all three.

I think some people make you feel this more than others. Some people give off vibes that make my whole body tingle uncomfortably. I usually have to look away from people when I am talking, though I am not too bad looking at them when they are talking, depending on what they are like and how comfortable they make me feel. I do feel like other (like the general public) people are often unpleasant to be near, if e.g. I went to a fast food place I would stand separately from other people whilst waiting for my order and would get out asap. I can't bear queues because people stand so close and I feel so angry if they brush against me. I will often push my bag out behind me or try to stand in a certain way to discourage people behind standing too close because it stresses me so much. If someone has noisy habits such as chewing, heavy breathing, sniffing or scratching I find them unbearable and dislike being near them intensely. I hate people knowing my first name and feel so uncomfortable if they ask my first name, especially as I've said "Mrs Whirlingmind" I think that should tell them that's how I want to be known. Them knowing my first name feels like they have taken something from me, invaded my space and are closer than I would like them. Is this similar to what you mean?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:

I think some people make you feel this more than others. Some people give off vibes that make my whole body tingle uncomfortably. I usually have to look away from people when I am talking, though I am not too bad looking at them when they are talking, depending on what they are like and how comfortable they make me feel. I do feel like other (like the general public) people are often unpleasant to be near, if e.g. I went to a fast food place I would stand separately from other people whilst waiting for my order and would get out asap. I can't bear queues because people stand so close and I feel so angry if they brush against me. I will often push my bag out behind me or try to stand in a certain way to discourage people behind standing too close because it stresses me so much. If someone has noisy habits such as chewing, heavy breathing, sniffing or scratching I find them unbearable and dislike being near them intensely. I hate people knowing my first name and feel so uncomfortable if they ask my first name, especially as I've said "Mrs Whirlingmind" I think that should tell them that's how I want to be known. Them knowing my first name feels like they have taken something from me, invaded my space and are closer than I would like them. Is this similar to what you mean?

You have almost described me perfectly! The unpleasant tingling happens a lot with certain people, and I really, truly hate standing in line anywhere because I cannot stand to have people brush into me. Once, I was riding on a touring bus, trying to relax, and this woman in the seat behind me kept making these little lip smacking sounds until I wanted to scream. I know that it wouldn't have bothered most people! And, I also hate it when people address me by my first name, or call me Miss Hartzofspace; especially since I am recently married and long to hear "Mrs." more often. :)

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm

Yes. Especially if someone is watching me do something. Like, eyes over my shoulder while I type or write, or even the feeling that, even though they're across the room, they're interested in whatever it is I'm doing. Same thing at work. Like, I'll be happily doing something I'm very good at doing, but the moment that I sense that someone is watching me, all dexterity goes out the window, I'm anxious, start dropping things.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 1:20 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
You have almost described me perfectly! The unpleasant tingling happens a lot with certain people, and I really, truly hate standing in line anywhere because I cannot stand to have people brush into me. Once, I was riding on a touring bus, trying to relax, and this woman in the seat behind me kept making these little lip smacking sounds until I wanted to scream. I know that it wouldn't have bothered most people! And, I also hate it when people address me by my first name, or call me Miss Hartzofspace; especially since I am recently married and long to hear "Mrs." more often. :)

OMG I feel your pain! I can feel a meltdown rising up just imagining it! You feel like turning round and roaring with everything you have in you, losing control completely, and yelling "SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTTHEF***UP!"

I thought I was a little bit of a freak about the name thing, even by AS standards, glad to know I'm not alone!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

SteelBlu wrote:
Yes. Especially if someone is watching me do something. Like, eyes over my shoulder while I type or write, or even the feeling that, even though they're across the room, they're interested in whatever it is I'm doing. Same thing at work. Like, I'll be happily doing something I'm very good at doing, but the moment that I sense that someone is watching me, all dexterity goes out the window, I'm anxious, start dropping things.

Yes! I absolutely cannot type whatsoever if someone stands behind me. It starts coming out as gobbledegook, and I lose all confidence. I also cannot bear it when someone stands in a room when I am sitting, like they are hovering waiting for something, and I don't know what, it makes me so uncomfortable. I also hate that expectant look people do because I don't know what it is they are expecting and I feel bewildered. Do they want me to speak, bring them something, give them some information , what! Makes me nervous.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
SteelBlu wrote:

Yes! I absolutely cannot type whatsoever if someone stands behind me. It starts coming out as gobbledegook, and I lose all confidence. I also cannot bear it when someone stands in a room when I am sitting, like they are hovering waiting for something, and I don't know what, it makes me so uncomfortable. I also hate that expectant look people do because I don't know what it is they are expecting and I feel bewildered. Do they want me to speak, bring them something, give them some information , what! Makes me nervous.

Same here. Absolutely! I always want to yell "WHAT!" when someone gives me that expectant look.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Aw, we all sound so similar, I wish I had some Aspie friends, it's so refreshing to find others so like me. You guys are in the US. What a shame for me!

Sapphire33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2013, 3:08 am

I really struggle with this! Queues are hell- I stand side-on so that I can control my distance between the people ahead and behind me. I normally stick my bag out so the person behind won't get too close.

It's worse at work. I recently got into an unwanted conflict because I was upset that a colleague was holding a meeting behind me, meaning that despite my wearing my noise-cancelling headphones, I could "feel" the woman that was closest. It makes me go all sweaty and itchy.

My colleague got very angry as apparently it was clear I wasn't happy. "If you've got a problem, say something" she said in a less than pleasant tone. I realised after I tried to explain (much to my embarrassment) that she wasn't actually interested in what was bothering me; she rolled her eyes when I started talking. I feel angry about it, but I feel it was my fault that it happened. I can't stand ignorant arrogant NTs- it reminds me of school.

E

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:51 am

Is it my imagination or is it mostly women who are responding in this thread? I get "bad vibes" constantly and can't stand to be in close proximity to others unless we're dating or they are my own offspring. I don't even like it when my dogs brush against me--much less people! My "personal space" is about the size of a city block. :lol:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:57 am

Yes! We're all women! I don't know if Aspie males feel the same way, I'm sure they must.

Yes the personal space thing, I feel r-e-a-l-l-y angry if people get too close, I can't bear the noises of other humans so close to me, I pick up every bad smell off them so much such as stale cigarettes and B.O., it highly offends me - and people eating near me drives me mental. I need a force field around me so that they all bounce off when they try to get too near! :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

I'm hyper-aware of other people all the time, that's it's affecting my mental state and my life. I focus too much on what others around me are doing and thinking, and I compare myself with everyone I know, and I constantly worry of what strangers are thinking of me, and whatever people do I think it is aimed at me. I almost wish I could just block everyone out and remain in my own world.

NTs seem to be able to do a bit of both. Most (without anxiety issues or anything) can relax when out in public, be themselves to a degree, and just do what they want as long as they know it is ''normal'' and won't be judged for it - but at the same time they make eye contact with strangers automatically. I wish I could have a brain like that. Instead when I'm, say, in a shop, other people distract and agitate me and I lose focus on what I am looking for and can't bear to have strangers standing in my space.