Temple Grandin – The Autistic Brain

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

I saw this book ("The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum") last weekend and decided to buy it. It had some very interesting chapters. The most interesting chapter (from my perspective) was “Rethinking in Pictures”, where Dr. Grandin discusses pattern thinking.

Dr. Grandin cites an paper - <click> by Maria Kozhevnikov which discusses the two type of visualizers – Object Visualizers (aka picture thinkers – which she is) and Spatial Visualizers (aka pattern thinkers). One difference between these two types of visualizers was that one type could easily manipulate objects in space, and the other type could not.

The book is a fascinating read (especially for those who are interested in learning more about pattern thinking).

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

Thanks for the link to the paper...I'm printing it now and it looks to be a seriously good read. I know I'm some kind of visual manipulator. LOL - I kept flunking algebra until I learned how to visualize the functions and formulas on the axes...then it became quite simple for me and I even learned to play with it!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jun 2013, 5:48 pm

I'm not able to read the paper fully yet, but I know I can rotate objects and can visualize spatial relationships.

Mani
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

I was able to get the book from the library. I am currently reading the chapter that you reference. This is a great book!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 6:01 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I'm not able to read the paper fully yet, but I know I can rotate objects and can visualize spatial relationships.

I can also rotate objects in my mind easily.
Spatial relationships I an do better in my mind (like also in drawing, I was able to draw in perspective age 3.5 years), but in real life my perception of spatial relationship is less, I bump into people walking outside (happened back today) or in a shop I can bump into the shelves.
But in drawing and in my mind my perception of spatial relationship is very exact.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

Did anyone take the WAIS-IV, as part of your diagnostic? The Perceptual Reasoning Index (or PRI) includes three tests:

- Block Design
>>> Individuals use up to nine red and white blocks to re-create a model or a picture of a design within a specific time limit.
>>> Tests a person's analysis of whole into component parts, spatial visualization, nonverbal concept formation, visuomotor coordination and perceptual organization, capacity for sustained effort, concentration and visual-motor-spatial coordination as well as manipulative and perceptual speed.

- Matrix Reasoning
>>> Individuals look at an incomplete matrix (made up of pictures or designs) and selects the missing item from five options.
>>> Tests visual-spatial reasoning, abstract reasoning, visual organization, simultaneous processing of visuospatial information and analysis of wholes into component parts.

- Visual Puzzles
>>> Individuals asked which 3 of these pieces go together to make this puzzle.
>>> Subtests includes visual recognition and identification, perception of the parts in relation to the whole, visual spatial reasoning, analysis of wholes into component of parts, capacity for sustained visual effort, concentration and fluid reasoning.

According to the book, Dr. Grandin (an Object Visualizer aka picture thinker) does well in Block Design tests. I am wondering how she would do on Matrix Reasoning and Visual Puzzles.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm

Most people can visualize and manipulate objects in their minds' eyes.

It will take a lot of research to determine the differences in "thinking in pictures" between autistic people and neurotypical people.

I don't take seriously most of Temple Grandin's assertions about the autistic brain.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jun 2013, 7:21 pm

We're not specifically talking about Dr. Grandin's statements, but about a study she cited:

http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/mkozhevnlab/ ... er2002.pdf

The words "autism" or "autistic" don't appear in the study.

Also, when I ran and played roleplaying games, I was surprised to learn that many people could not actually visualize and manipulate objects to the degree I could, or at least had significant trouble with it to the point that where I didn't need physical representations (say miniatures and a map), they did. That's purely anecdotal, however.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

Verdandi wrote:
The words "autism" or "autistic" don't appear in the study.

Verdandi - You are correct.

My observation is that Dr. Grandin is simply, with her writing, documenting her own self-discovery. In her earlier books, she figured that all autistic people “were visual thinkers and only visual thinkers”. Now, she realizes that is not true (and admits this mistake in her latest book).

What I find inspiring about Dr. Grandin's writings is her tenacity to better understand the autistic mind. She does this by connecting with people who are leaders in various fields. It’s good that someone who is autistic is doing this. As I do not believe NTs truly realize how this "different wiring" impacts us as humans.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:54 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Most people can visualize and manipulate objects in their minds' eyes.

It will take a lot of research to determine the differences in "thinking in pictures" between autistic people and neurotypical people.

I don't take seriously most of Temple Grandin's assertions about the autistic brain.

    Why?