Page 14 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
PDD NOS criteria from DSM IV TR:
299.80 Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction or verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or when stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities are present, but the criteria are not met for a specific pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, schizotypal personality disorder, or avoidant personality disorder. For example, this category includes "atypical autism" --presentations that do not meet the criteria for autistic disorder because of late age of onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these.

It's slightly ridiculous really, because many of us have alexithymia and flat affect, so how can a clinician tell how severe the level of impairment is (i.e. whether it exceeds the threshold) if someone cannot identify it easily themselves and does not show it obviously on their exterior?

Flat affect and an inability to express emotions should be observable. Those would be considered an impairment in nonverbal communication (flat affect= poor nonverbal expression) and inability to express emotions would be considered part of lacking social and emotional (in this case emotional) reciprocity. These symptoms can cause a lot of impairment if severe enough and these impairments can be easily assessed by looking at the person's life. Some examples: It could take the form of problems with relationships and could affect the ability to get or hold down a job because of misunderstandings with co-workers or coming off as too stilted or unenthusiastic ect, to get hired in the first place ect. I made this point earlier in the thread: obviously people who cannot communicate their impairments because of their impairment in communication/emotional reciprocity ect. can still be diagnosed with ASD and their impairment observed otherwise no non-verbal autistic person (who hasn't learned to communicate in another way) could be diagnosed.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction or verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or when stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities are present, but the criteria are not met for a specific pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, schizotypal personality disorder, or avoidant personality disorder. For example, this category includes "atypical autism" --presentations that do not meet the criteria for autistic disorder because of late age of onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these.

I think this was the DSM-IV criteria. The DSM-IV-TR was

Quote:
This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction associated with impairment in either verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or with the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities, but the criteria are not met for a specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, or Avoidant Personality Disorder.

(a small difference that could change many things).

http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/ ... -dsm-iv-tr (go down to "Clarification of the definition of Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified")

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 2:59 pm

TPE2 wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

I think this was the DSM-IV criteria. The DSM-IV-TR was

Quote:
This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction associated with impairment in either verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or with the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities, but the criteria are not met for a specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, or Avoidant Personality Disorder.

(a small difference that could change many things).

http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/ ... -dsm-iv-tr (go down to "Clarification of the definition of Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified")

Oh, okay, sorry. So this is the right criteria for DSM IV TR.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
The OP made an argument, and it was clarified in later posts. In fact, I'm not even sure the thread creator posted in the last 100 posts or so.

Can't this thread just join others like it in the dusty WP archives?

I am trying to keep up with the thread but I'm too mentally tired at the moment to personally contribute to it, and I'll probably be that way for at least another week.

However, I don't think my input is essential for the thread to continue. The purpose of this thread was to initiate discussion on the issue and share different viewpoints, not to answer one specific question. I think the thread has actually stayed remarkably on topic considering it is now 15 pages long. If people are no longer interested in continuing the discussion, the thread will die a natural death.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
The OP made an argument, and it was clarified in later posts. In fact, I'm not even sure the thread creator posted in the last 100 posts or so.

I have a question:

You seem to find it frustrating when threads do not stick to the subject outlined in the OP (at least per your perceptions). Whyso?

I noticed you had a similar complaint regarding the "why people leave WP thread" when it went off in another direction after several pages of discussion, so I am curious.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:36 am

Was it Dr Atwood who said 100% of aspies where severely bullied growing up?

It gets worse I used to be aspie/anxiety baited by students /teachers, would bite and than get the cane.*

Disgusting :evil:

and yes corpral punishment is evil if you believe in it your a sadist or ignorant or a red neck , a sadistic ignorant red neck :P

and ]no where not talking Saudi Arabia here , it happened here in "civilised" Australia up to the 1990's :evil:

Last edited by aussiebloke on 12 Aug 2013, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 7:04 am

Dillogic wrote:
The DSM-IV-TR mentions sensory stuff in the expanded text regarding AD (not AS).

Lorna Wing mentions that sensory stuff is rarely there in adults with HFA, and by extension AS (in the original paper on AS that the DSM-IV-TR was based on).

Mind blowing, I know. You see lots of people with AS/HFA say they suffer from sensory problems, though by the old material, they shouldn't. I guess that's why it's old material.

yes what a load of crap only sensory issue I lost from child hood :D is touch /clothing sensitivity.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:39 am

Personally, the changes in DSM V mean nothing to me.

I was told that I still meet the criteria for autism and now I officiase lly have HFA.

I don't get why many people with Asperger's worry about losing the diagnosis.

I was told that if you actually have AS, you will almost certainly meet the criteria for HFA in the new DSM.
Then why so many people worry about it? I don't get this.

About the bullying issues, I was never ohysically bullied, I was just teased a lot, but this never hurt me in any way, because I didn't care about it, therefore I don't think I have been "severely bullied".

About the overdiagnosis/misdiagnosis, I don't know how many people get misdiagnosed with AS; but there surely are some.

Certainly there are a lot of self-diagnosed people, expecially between young people.

I agree on the fact that AS has become a huge stereotype these days, that is no longer viewed as the mental disorder it is but rather as something that gives you the free entrance to the "proud geniuses11!! ! 1!" clubs in school.
Which is very wrong.
There are a lot of teenagers that self-diagnose just because they are weird, or nerdy, or not good at sports, and forget about the real symptoms of AS, just because they want to be part of those "aspie pride!! ! 11!" groups.
I only take self-diagnosers seriously if they have done a lot of accurate researches; just reading the wiki page on AS is not an accurate research.

The fact is, removing AS from the new DSM won't stop the self-diagnosing, and people will go on diagnosing themselves, some after some accurate reasearches, others basing on irrelevant factors.

My AS was very evident in my childhood; so I was told.
I have been diagnosed as a child, and at first they thought I had schizophrenia. Then they decided that I was on the spectrum, and that my severity lied between HFA and AS (I've never understood the difference between the two).
This was back when almost no one knew about AS.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

^^^^

well it's a bit hard to "ignore" when bully boys fists would make contact with your face, still have the scars to prove it to , though I'm ok with it I've been told scars are "cool" :?

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
^^^^

well it's a bit hard to "ignore" when bully boys fists would make contact with your face, still have the scars to prove it to , though I'm ok with it I've been told scars are "cool" :?

I wouldn't have ignored it if it had been physical bullying.

But I was just teased, and teasing is not something that hurts me, since I don't care about other people's thoughts on me.
No one ever tried to beat meup.

I wasn't severely bullied, luckily.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

Verdandi wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I have a question:

You seem to find it frustrating when threads do not stick to the subject outlined in the OP (at least per your perceptions). Whyso?

I noticed you had a similar complaint regarding the "why people leave WP thread" when it went off in another direction after several pages of discussion, so I am curious.

I think back in the 90s in the old BBS days on some fora, it was proper form that threads could be shut down by the sysop if the thread starter requested it... or if the thread went off topic.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Aug 2013, 5:35 pm

tall-p wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I have a question:

I think back in the 90s in the old BBS days on some fora, it was proper form that threads could be shut down by the sysop if the thread starter requested it... or if the thread went off topic.

I used many BBSes in the 90s, and even ran a few. I don't remember ever seeing much of that. Probably something that varied by locality, perhaps.

I've also seen modern fora (including this one) shut down threads at OP request.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:36 pm

chlov wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
^^^^

I wouldn't have ignored it if it had been physical bullying.

But I was just teased, and teasing is not something that hurts me, since I don't care about other people's thoughts on me.
No one ever tried to beat meup.

I wasn't severely bullied, luckily.

I appreciate that you made this distinction. Thank you.