DSM change justified due to pandemic of AS misdiagnosis

Page 3 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:18 am

Adamantium wrote:
sunshower wrote:
The people I refer to have never at any stage of their lives experienced clinically significant distress or impairment in daily functioning due to Asperger's symptoms. .

You know this how? How many of them are there? What percentage of the increase does this represent?

As to the OP, I disagree. The new criteria were not created for the purpose you describe and will not have the imagined effect. The number of autistics is not going to drop precipitously.

Some moths ago, in the DSM-5 site, the page with the "rationale" for the fusion had indeed some passages that could be interpreted in these way. Nut I think that ceased to be online.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2013, 7:33 am

Yes, the rationale stated that getting a clinical diagnosis for the purposes of an identity label was not intended.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 8:30 am

Either way, "clinically significant distress" can be externally invisible. Everyone presents differently.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 8:42 am

Verdandi wrote:
While bullying is not part of the criteria, the general trend is to be bullied more frequently and more severely if you're on the spectrum. There are other risk factors for bullying (gender nonconforming, for example), so it's not that only autistic children are at risk for bullying.

I absolutely agree, but there is a distinction between one's experience and what they choose to report. I, for one, have dealt with lifelong bullying that has only subsided in the past few years (besides brief pause during my undergrad years). I've only recently started talking about this in therapy and choose not to get involved in the bullying threads as it's hard to talk about and I feel glad to just leave it behind.
The message, I suppose, is that people's real experience may differ from how it's portrayed online...

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Either way, "clinically significant distress" can be externally invisible. Everyone presents differently.

Quote:
Criteria for Clinical Significance

The definition of mental disorder in the introduction to DSM-IV requires that there be clinically significant impairment or distress. To highlight the importance of considering this issue, the criteria sets for most disorders include a clinical significance criterion (usually worded "...causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning"). This criterion helps establish the threshold for the diagnosis of a disorder in those situations in which the symptomatic presentation by itself (particularly in its milder forms) is not inherently pathological and may be encountered in individuals for whom a diagnosis of "mental disorder" would be inappropriate. Assessing whether this criterion is met, especially in terms of role function, is an inherently difficult clinical judgment. Reliance on information from family members and other third parties (in addition to the individual) regarding the individual’s performance is often necessary. (DSM-IV, p. 7)

I don't know, if "clinically significant distress" can go completely invisible.
I guess it should show somehow.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:32 am

Quote:
I think AS as a diagnosis shouldn't exist at all, it should be changed to mild autism.

You'll be happy about the DSM-V, then. That's exactly what they're doing.

Quote:
I base this on people who have explicitly said so (basically saying they like having Asperger's and it has never made them unhappy).

Unhappiness isn't the only kind of significant impairment. You can be happy and be unable to live independently, for example.

Plus, whether your autism spectrum condition has 'made you unhappy' depends in part on how you attribute the causes of your unhappiness.

I was bullied as a kid. In part, the bullies picked me due to undiagnosed autism. But I don't think my autism has made me unhappy - intolerance of autism has. It would be like saying being black makes you unhappy because of racist bullying.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:43 am

sunshower wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Why do people keep assuming AS is no longer considered a disorder? They have merged it into "Autistic Spectrum disorder" and they got rid of all the autism labels and made it one with three different level subtypes.

I was bullied by the same kids every day off and on and picked on and had a nervous breakdown in 6th grade. I also experienced different behavior, was also clumsy, had sensory issues, talked loud and lacked eye contact so I am good. I could identify myself in what you wrote.

BTW people who fall in between do get labeled too and they are treat like they do have it. I wouldn't call them fake or anything. That is one of the reasons why they have all these NOS labels because they fall in no category. But not all doctors like to diagnose NOS labels so they go by closest match and give them a real label. For some people it comes and goes and they shouldn't be left with no help because they aren't (insert condition here) enough. I still wouldn't call them a fake if they are diagnosed with it still for their worst moments.

I don't think they are "fake" as such, I think they are mislabeled/misdiagnosed. If a person's worst moments cause clinically significant distress or impairment in daily functioning then they can correctly be labelled with a disorder - it's normal for severity to fluctuate over time. I definitely wouldn't meet criteria for a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome currently as my severity has massively reduced since my teens due to developing coping mechanisms. But until I reached my teens I would have met the criteria. The people I refer to have never at any stage of their lives experienced clinically significant distress or impairment in daily functioning due to Asperger's symptoms.

That is also the problem. What if they don't have it every day? Put it like this, some people don't have any symptoms of schizophrenia when they are on medication, does that mean they don't have it. At their worst moments they will. What about people with Bipolar, not everyone has it when they are on medication but I am sure they have it at their worst moments. Should they be ignored and be denied medication because they are not sick enough? Same thing happens with mental problems too, it comes and goes. But it happens often enough that it impairs them. Only way to solve that is if they are in some environment that won't trigger it and things are calm all the time. That reminds me of Tony Attwood saying to get rid of Asperger's put the kid in their room by themselves.

My anxiety comes and goes too. As you say, conditions fluctuate. For some they go from having it to not having it. Those are the lucky ones. But they shouldn't be denied help either and be denied a label. if only they will add in the DSM "Or at their worst moments" but instead they have daily functioning meaning it has to be everyday so if yours comes and goes, too bad, you're normal, suck it up when your worst moments come. But luckily there are doctors that will still give them a label and ignore that requirement in the criteria because they still need support.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 15 Jun 2013, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2013, 10:04 am

It's not Asperger's, it's Mine.

I'm relatively new to looking this far into it, so do not have much basis to discuss DSM IV or V or their relative merits. I am currently self-diagnosed as being "on the spectrum" because of the way in which what I came to realise were sensory issues affect me, and the differences between my view of the world and those of the socially normal. I am in the process of gearing up to go and have it made "official".

I pretty much agree with the OP. Especially with the current trend for young people to decide that they have "Asperger's". Everyone wants to feel/be "special" and it's a sad fact that there are people who will say they are Aspie because, bluntly, they are inconsiderate, self centred pricks/prickessess who are too lazy to be polite or considerate to others. Given that I too was once a teenager and have had possibly more experience of being a bit of a prick than I am comfortable admitting at times in my life, I view this as a simple fact. It's not a slur on anyone, it's not an attack, it's just something I have observed.

Yeah, yeah, let the hating and the shouting commence - read the words. I'm throwing this at the world/internet, not you, for anyone inclined to take my comments personally.

I've been here a very short time, and I've spent most of it reading older threads, and I've noticed that there a quite a few similarities between "some" Aspies and what I observe out there in the world.

1. Bullying, led by a ringleader, against someone with something valid to say or posit to people who's minds are closed or narrow.
2. Contempt for people considered "lesser" whether it be in terms of sociological "success" or "Aspieness" / "Autisticness"
3. Elitism, based on a title.
4. Intolerance of other's points of view. (going against whatever "you" feel the "norm" is/ought to be.) Please note, this is a metaphorical/hypothetical "you" - it's easier for me to write to A Person rather than a mob.

That's all, off of the top of my head, for the moment, I'm sure that with a year or so spare and some psychology/sociology textbooks I could come up with some more.

"Bullying" and it's degree of damage caused are indeed in the mind of the victim, however as I have pointed out to a drunk twat I advised was annoying me, to be told "no I'm not" : "That's not YOUR judgement to make, because I am annoyed, and YOU have caused it. Now I would be grateful if you would go away and stop bothering me." - Possibly one of my most successful spontaneous conflict situation utterances, ever. It was a shame that what I thought was a plainly understandable message had to be backed up with a threat of a punch in the face (remembering to clench and wave my fist, using "angry face") before it was taken seriously.

I too, often feel a personal reaction to something I read in a paper, hear on the radio or see on the TV. When I do that, I go back and check why, and 99% of the time I end up remembering that it is the job of the media to polarise me towards a particular way of thinking and to keep me unbalanced and no more well informed than absolutely necessary, if at all.

When I read something on here, I try and see whether someone is stating what they see as a fact, making a point, or simply ( and these, tbh are my favourites) throwing an idea into the conversational arena to be kicked around a bit. If I'm unsure, I might ask for clarification. On here, you see, I regard each post as having been written by a Person, someone who I may or may not know. I try and treat everyone with at least a modicum of respect, right up until I (may) decide they are not worthy of it. Even if I disrespect their statement, or viewpoint I will still treat them civilly, or simply ignore their posts. Stuff written here is not designed to increase market share, circulation or Nielsen Ratings, it comes from People who, for however they define the reason, feel that they are different from many others.

"How badly" you are bullied, depends on how badly it affects you, not on the standards a third party might place on the nature of the behaviour causing the distress. My victimisation was horrific and affected me very deeply, but I would be the first to be mortified and sincerely apologetic if someone called me on something that I did or said that caused them pain, especially if I had forgotten not to be spiteful or vindictive.

I have really digressed from my point here - sorry! Back to diagnosis. External traits are driven by internal reactions, the effect of which it is possible for some, by dint of greater or lesser effort, to control or manage. These reactions are caused by being wired differently. Now I am, as I said, "currently self diagnosed" because I know that I have sensory issues, executive malfunction, and often socially unacceptable viewpoints which are, to me, perfectly logical and sensible. I would expect a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, with a co-morbidity of mild ADHD. (I also have a quite high Tourette's score, apparently, which also explains quite a bit.) Someone Spectrum on a "good" day can be told that there is nothing wrong with them by an NT psych or doctor, because they are looking for signs that you may have spent years learning to hide, as a survival mechanism.

If being an "Aspie" means that I have to be part of a clique, then I would reject it, because I'm no "better" ( or, more importantly, "worse") than the smartest or dumbest, most eloquent or most uncommunicative, the most ugly or pretty, or even richest or poorest person in any society. I'm an amazing, unique individual, just like everybody else.

I believe that there are too many variables inherent in depth and nature of Autism-related affective issues and ability to exert control, for the spectrum to be divided up into colours. I believe that "Them as can, have a duty to them as can't" (Esmeralda Weatherwax) and I believe that everybody is equal. I believe that we are "equal but not lesser" (Temple Grandin's Mum) to NTs, and I believe that if we allow NT mores too much sway over our own interactions we are denying ourselves the potential for acceptance both in, and of, our own community that NTs enjoy in theirs.

I would say that if after doing your research you know you're on the spectrum, then you likely are. If after doing your research you only think you might be, then you are possibly wrong. If your basis for claiming Asperger's is "Man, I do that too sometimes" then I would probably invite you to grow up a little.

My apologies for writing such a long and rambling post.

TL:DR? OP is right, and some people are arses.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

torquemada wrote:
TL:DR? OP is right, and some people are arses.

Even if we accept that the OP is "right" about something, which I'm not sure I'd agree with, what course of action would the writer of the OP advocate?

Admittedly, I may have read 2 or 3 different versions of the post between when I read it first and now, but with the supporting commentary, it's unclear what exactly what action the OP is suggesting.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

Eloa wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:

Quote:
Criteria for Clinical Significance

The definition of mental disorder in the introduction to DSM-IV requires that there be clinically significant impairment or distress. To highlight the importance of considering this issue, the criteria sets for most disorders include a clinical significance criterion (usually worded "...causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning"). This criterion helps establish the threshold for the diagnosis of a disorder in those situations in which the symptomatic presentation by itself (particularly in its milder forms) is not inherently pathological and may be encountered in individuals for whom a diagnosis of "mental disorder" would be inappropriate. Assessing whether this criterion is met, especially in terms of role function, is an inherently difficult clinical judgment. Reliance on information from family members and other third parties (in addition to the individual) regarding the individual’s performance is often necessary. (DSM-IV, p. 7)

I don't know, if "clinically significant distress" can go completely invisible.
I guess it should show somehow.

In some it does, not until they reach a mental breakdown does it become visible. Especially those who went undiagnosed for a long time. Look up "Aspie burnout".

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:54 am

League_Girl wrote:
sunshower wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Why do people keep assuming AS is no longer considered a disorder? They have merged it into "Autistic Spectrum disorder" and they got rid of all the autism labels and made it one with three different level subtypes.

I was bullied by the same kids every day off and on and picked on and had a nervous breakdown in 6th grade. I also experienced different behavior, was also clumsy, had sensory issues, talked loud and lacked eye contact so I am good. I could identify myself in what you wrote.

BTW people who fall in between do get labeled too and they are treat like they do have it. I wouldn't call them fake or anything. That is one of the reasons why they have all these NOS labels because they fall in no category. But not all doctors like to diagnose NOS labels so they go by closest match and give them a real label. For some people it comes and goes and they shouldn't be left with no help because they aren't (insert condition here) enough. I still wouldn't call them a fake if they are diagnosed with it still for their worst moments.

I don't think they are "fake" as such, I think they are mislabeled/misdiagnosed. If a person's worst moments cause clinically significant distress or impairment in daily functioning then they can correctly be labelled with a disorder - it's normal for severity to fluctuate over time. I definitely wouldn't meet criteria for a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome currently as my severity has massively reduced since my teens due to developing coping mechanisms. But until I reached my teens I would have met the criteria. The people I refer to have never at any stage of their lives experienced clinically significant distress or impairment in daily functioning due to Asperger's symptoms.

That is also the problem. What if they don't have it every day? Put it like this, some people don't have any symptoms of schizophrenia when they are on medication, does that mean they don't have it. At their worst moments they will. What about people with Bipolar, not everyone has it when they are on medication but I am sure they have it at their worst moments. Should they be ignored and be denied medication because they are not sick enough? Same thing happens with mental problems too, it comes and goes. But it happens often enough that it impairs them. Only way to solve that is if they are in some environment that won't trigger it and things are calm all the time. That reminds me of Tony Attwood saying to get rid of Asperger's put the kid in their room by themselves.

My anxiety comes and goes too. As you say, conditions fluctuate. For some they go from having it to not having it. Those are the lucky ones. But they shouldn't be denied help either and I denied a label. if only they will add in the DSM "Or at their worst moments" but instead they have daily functioning meaning it ha to be everyday so if you;re comes and goes, too bad, you're normal, suck it up when your worst moments come. But luckily there are doctors that will still give them a label and ignore that requirement in the criteria because they still need support.

This is the thing. OK Asperger's is different neurological wiring. It's a specific difference. So, although clinical diagnosis is intended to be about impairment level, you still have Asperger's even if you don't meet whatever the subjective current criteria happen to be at that time.

It's a lifelong condition that you cannot change.

So presentation of the the condition can change according to external factors. External factors vary over time. This is why I think this "losing your diagnosis" is a load of crap, because the next time you are in adverse conditions all your traits will resurface and your coping skills decline significantly. So what are you supposed to do? Keep getting undiagnosed and rediagnosed!

As others have said before, because someone is a diabetic and they are suffering no problems because their condition is being managed, doesn't make them not diabetic.

There are any number of reasons someone may feel (as I said in my first post on this thread) that they are coping or not suffering problems. Example:

What if someone was diagnosed as a child, got supports and went to an ASC school and seemed to be flourishing. They had a supportive family who anticipated their every need. They weren't bullied because they were in a lucky environment. They left school and had a small but great bunch of friends that they had met at school in a supported environment. They lived at home or even lived independently with parental support and even had a job at their parent's small business. Then their parents were killed in a car crash. They have lost the support, from their parents, the business gets sold so they lose their job and have no skills or CV, don't know how to transfer their skills and cannot manage living independently any longer because no parent is around to help them with bills and food shopping or to deliver home baked meals.

In one fell swoop their whole scenario has changed and they end up being put into a home for people with ASCs. As their parents were the only ones who understood their personal sensory issues, meltdown triggers and reminded them to bathe and everything, the staff constantly misunderstand and they are labelled behaviourally challenged and drugged up. Their friends don't visit because they don't know how to handle the apparent personality change and loss of what appeared superficially to be independence. Their world shrinks to their existence in the home with no visitors and they end up a shadow of their former self and even become non-verbal and start head banging.

Do you see what I mean?

Last edited by whirlingmind on 15 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

sunshower wrote:
I've noticed during the time I've been a member of WP that a lot of people on this site, especially self-diagnosed and more recently diagnosed/self-diagnosed young people (older people with Asperger's are unlikely to have professional diagnoses because Asperger's wasn't around until the mid to late 1990's) have not experienced the kind of serious problems associated with the condition that others of us have. Added for clarification: (According to what they have said. I also reference people on other sites. Many people have explicitly said that they have never had any serious problems with bullying and other symptoms related to Aspergers).

I guess it's possible for a person with Asperger's to have always had friends and not been bullied (I don't count a few singular occurrences as having a history of being bullied - probably the majority of kids have been bullied at least once or twice during their schooling years) but I think this is highly unlikely considering the obvious idiosyncrasies, bizarre tone of voice, strange movements, and obvious lack of social skills and lack of social awareness (causing them to be unintentionally offensive to other children - which only fuels it) that characterizes a child with Asperger's Syndrome.

I do really hate to categorize/make assumptions, and I'm definitely not referring to everyone in this category, but it is a pattern I have noticed and I won't deny it. I think many people on this site don't have a clear grasp of what Aspergers actually is. Being verbally and physically bullied by multiple other children was a typical day for me, every day, for years and years of my life - and these weren't "one off" incidents - they happened over and over again.

As a child I was extremely literal, couldn't stand being touched, would dry reach (vomit with nothing coming out) at the feel of certain fabrics, didn't know how to use eye contact (had to be trained by my mother), was extremely clumsy and rocked/had strange hand and arm movements, had a "blank face" (didn't make facial expressions), talked non-stop and repetitively all the time about things I was interested in in a really loud voice so nobody could get a word in (for example, I once stood in a bank and talked loudly at the wall for 20 minutes straight without realizing my mother had actually walked away about 3 minutes in).

Yet when I was diagnosed at age 12, I was told that my aspergers was "mild to very mild", and I still agree with this. This was in 2000.

Today things seem to be very different. Many people who are self-diagnosed and even with professional diagnoses either only have mild issues or only don't seem to have any of these problems, and furthermore a large group of people are "pro-Aspergers" - saying that Asperger's is a gift and a positive thing to have, with some downsides but the upsides outway the downsides. This is wrong. Let me make an important distinction here: people with Aspergers CAN be gifted, or have skills, and it can even relate back to certain Asperger's characteristics, but having a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome by very definition means you have a negative medical condition that causes significant distress and problems in your daily life.

This is why it makes sense they changed the DSM. In the social sphere, Asperger's Syndrome is no longer perceived as a mental disorder, which is resulting in overdiagnosis and misdiagnosis of people who are not experiencing clinical distress due to Asperger's symptoms.

I am not saying that these people do not have autistic symptoms. I think that the majority of these people ARE on the autistic spectrum, however they should not be diagnosed with a clinical disorder and all that it entails.

This is the ultimate problem with the DSM IV; everything is "you either have it or you don't" so all those people who fall between the two options have nowhere to place themselves.

People on the spectrum should also be able to be labelled as being on the spectrum (without having to be classified as having a clinical disorder when they don't) if they so desire, so they can better understand themselves and their life experiences, and find others to relate to.

What say you all? Agree or disagree?

I have have just kind of skimmed this whole thread, but at first, after just reading yours, it was obvious to me that there is a problem with this message. Always ask the function question, meaning what is the function of starting this thread? To find out if people disagree or agree with the change to the DSM?. I doubt it and do not even see what function finding this out really serves. It sounds to me there is some kind of veiled grudge holding beneath and between the lines, but maybe because I am an aspie who was not severely bullied I am reading into it.

I do agree that a withdrawn child who looks and acts different is more likely to be bullied, but this is not saying too much. There are too many varying factors which could play into that...

Quote:
This is why it makes sense they changed the DSM. In the social sphere, Asperger's Syndrome is no longer perceived as a mental disorder, which is resulting in overdiagnosis and misdiagnosis of people who are not experiencing clinical distress due to Asperger's symptoms..

So you are saying that the reason you were bullied at school is because you had a mental disorder, and these other people who were not severely bullied were not bullied because they did not have a mental disorder? On some level this could correlate, bu imo there is something seriously wrong with the black and white thinking behind this, and I do think that behind a lot of black and white thinking is some kind of hidden psychological agenda.....do you agree or disagree???:-) One problem is it is not always so easy to sort out this from that in such a way that is truly coherent. For those here who go look to the DSM to do that kind of job, I think in many instances you are seriously misguided, as it is way too subjective and the people who design it are even corrupt...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm

whirlingmind wrote:

Yes, I know. I've made similar points many times. My point was simply that bullying is a common experience for those on the spectrum. I wasn't trying to say that it was valid to suggest that someone who was bullied less is probably not autistic. I think I stated the opposite (that I wouldn't argue such a thing) earlier in the thread.

The furthest I would go (which I did in another thread) is to say that it is inappropriate for someone who was not bullied as severely to generalize their experiences to other people who were bullied more severely and judge them as if both had identical experiences. My issue wouldn't be (and wasn't) with whether they are autistic or not or how autistic they appear to be, but rather the arguments they made or that anyone should accept those arguments at face value despite personal experience.

NEtikiman wrote:
I absolutely agree, but there is a distinction between one's experience and what they choose to report. I, for one, have dealt with lifelong bullying that has only subsided in the past few years (besides brief pause during my undergrad years). I've only recently started talking about this in therapy and choose not to get involved in the bullying threads as it's hard to talk about and I feel glad to just leave it behind.

The message, I suppose, is that people's real experience may differ from how it's portrayed online...

I am not sure how this relates to what I posted. I'm sure many people here have things they do not report. I certainly do. No one should be judged solely by what they report or do not report.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

The title of the threat suggests that there is (or I suppose was recently) a "pandemic of AS misdiagnosis" -- does anyone have any evidence for this?

I don't know enough about it to have a strong view, but I have heard a number of experienced clinicians suggest that the misdiagnosis was historical. Autistics were routinely misdiagnosed with mental retardation, childhood schizophrenia as the rate of correct ASD diagnoses has grown, the rates of retardation and childhood schizophrenia have dwindled just as dramatically. It's also proposed that a significant number of people who previously have gone without a diagnosis are now being diagnosed because of the increase in trained, experienced clinicians.

The idea that developmental pediatricians, neuropsychologists, child psychiatrists and pyschologists specializing in ASD are making significant numbers of misdiagnoses, and casual observers can detect this from reading posts on the internet in which unknown strangers make claims about ASDs seems, frankly, totally absurd.

torquemada wrote:
Especially with the current trend for young people to decide that they have "Asperger's". Everyone wants to feel/be "special" and it's a sad fact that there are people who will say they are Aspie because, bluntly, they are inconsiderate, self centred pricks/prickessess who are too lazy to be polite or considerate to others.

I don't believe that "a trend for young people to decide they have Asperger's" exists. Maybe it does, and I don't see it because I am old and out of touch, but I do hear a lot of middle school and high school kids talk and I never hear any of them brag about their Aspergers or Autism. I do sometimes hear them use "autistic" as a pejorative.

If I wrong, and this is going on, please help me to understand by pointing to some evidence other than a very small number of people posting claims about themselves on the internet. There is really quite a lot of evidence pointing in other directions.

[ edited to correct "ASD misdiagnosis" to "AS misdiagnosis"]

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2013, 1:12 pm

I have to disagree (in reference to the original post). My view of a diagnosis is important to understand one's self and have services available when necessary. Social stigma is the only reason I can see as to not getting a diagnosis of any kind of mental or physical abnormality, which could affect employment, reputation, etc. I don't see this as a valid reason for myself, but to others they may consider it so and I won't blame them for it.

I would say I am mild to moderately impaired, I do not drive, I have somewhat visible issues in social settings, varying sensory problems, and had severe bullying. However, I have held a job going on 11 years (though had multiple warnings and complaints on the way) and married at 25 (dated maybe 4 girls since I was 16, my wife is similar to myself in many aspects though, and the girl was always the one to break up in the past). I also still live with my parents and have not done well living on my own in the past. By most standards I am doing well and question why I would seek to have an official diagnosis given possible implications or not being impacted "enough", but aside from closure it is also security in that if I need those programs or services beyond therapy, I can receive them when needed.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:59 pm

I agree with the OP. IMO nobody should be diagnosed with a significant neurodevelopmental disability unless they have major impairment in their lives because of it. Otherwise they may have some genes and some traits of a polygentic disorder but not actually have the disorder and diagnosing them as autistic belittles the problems that autistic people have. I'm glad they made the criteria a little stricter.

Autism isn't the only risk factor for bullying but I think the OP's point was that even though she was diagnosed and told her presentation was mild to very mild her traits were readily apparent to casual observers. She wasn't just a little socially awkward and quirky with a couple friends who understood. She had obvious nonverbal communication problems (flat affect) and problems with social reciprocity (saying wildly inappropriate things-offending people) and no friends. This is a severe impairment in social interaction. Being a bit of a socially awkward ,shy kid with only a couple friends is not a severe impairment in social interaction.

I was similar to the OP, no friends, said and did wildly inappropriate things like going up to people and loudly reciting a t=story or he class rules at them,, had weird facial expressions , gestures and walk and was bullied constantly from kindergarten to grade 10. I also had super obvious constant stimming including hand flapping, walking in circles and twirling a string in front of my face. I threw tantrums when the routine was changed. In preschool my mum was told that I was always in my own little world and had strange behaviour. From the first week of kindergarten onward there were letters sent home about me concerned that I was: "always in my own little word", "wandered off" ,"constantly twirled fingers in front of *her* face", "gets very upset when routines are changed". In primary school I refused to eat in the lunch room (too noisy and crowded) and was put in the younger kids classroom to eat instead. Nevertheless I was told I had a fairly mild presentation because I was an "active but odd" child. I tried to initiate social contact (albeit in an abnormal way), I had some response to social contact some of the time, I spoke well and my IQ is in the high average range, verbal IQ in the superior range. Asperger's didn't exist when I was in school (until I was about 10 years old) so I was just identified as a special needs child with some social/emotional and attention problems and later with a specific learning disorder. At 13 I was diagnosed. I believe if I grew up in a country that didn't diagnose kids with these kind of problems or in another time I would have been stuffed in an institution somewhere.