Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

OlivG
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2013, 6:13 am

Autistics often have poor fine motorics. Is this a big hinderance in art? Can an autist learn to draw well in spite of some deficits in motorics?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:16 am

http://geekyteen.deviantart.com/?rnrd=70125

My girlfriend's Deviantart page.

Yes, she's autistic.

Author/Writer

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 6:24 am

Yes, almost everything can be improved with practice.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 7:34 am

When I was a child I was terrible at drawing.
Probably the worst student in the art class.

Then since the age of 11 my drawing improved a lot and I started drawing pretty well. I was told a lot that I am talented in drawing.

My grades in art changed from E in elementary school to A+ in middle school.

Now I improved even more, I draw a lot and post my drawings online.

Drawing has always been a hobby for me, even when I couldn't draw well.

I have issues when I draw though.
I have to pass a few times with the pencil on the same line because I can't make a single line look straight and I have troubles drawing little things like eyes or nails.
I also need to improve my coloring technique.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 9:28 am

This of those odd examples of ASD contradicting itself, I have Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia. Dyspraxia especially is about poor fine motor control. And yet I'm a good draughtsman, my drawing work is often very detailed and precise, even though my handwriting is atrocious. I've linked to my website below (though this is mainly paintings rather than drawings):

Link to My Website

I don't know if this is just years of obsessive practice (I've been an artist since the tender age of about 6/7) or if it is just a natural ability to draw, but it certainly seems to contradict the fact that I supposedly have poor fine motor skills.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

jugbandblues
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2013, 10:01 am

Your work is amazing :)

I also draw and paint and tough I've got trouble being very accurate, I've developped my own style - a lot of messy lines giving a very expressive and almost realistic result.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 10:06 am

I'm good at drawing, but I can never get a line right the first time I draw it. I also have problems with drawing small details (how did I not connect this with not having good fine motor skills?). This means I take longer to draw than most people, but I can do it.

celticknot
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2013, 11:53 am

grahamguitarman wrote:
This of those odd examples of ASD contradicting itself, I have Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia. Dyspraxia especially is about poor fine motor control. And yet I'm a good draughtsman, my drawing work is often very detailed and precise, even though my handwriting is atrocious. I've linked to my website below (though this is mainly paintings rather than drawings):

Link to My Website

I don't know if this is just years of obsessive practice (I've been an artist since the tender age of about 6/7) or if it is just a natural ability to draw, but it certainly seems to contradict the fact that I supposedly have poor fine motor skills.

Wow, excellent work!

Yes, there's a big difference between my writing and drawing as well. In high school, I had a teacher ask me not to write in cursive anymore. :oops: But I continue to be very good at drawing. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because the movements in drawing can be bigger and come more from the arm than the wrist and fingers. Or maybe because each process uses a different hemisphere of the brain.

celticknot
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2013, 12:02 pm

MathematicalOwl wrote:
I'm good at drawing, but I can never get a line right the first time I draw it. I also have problems with drawing small details (how did I not connect this with not having good fine motor skills?). This means I take longer to draw than most people, but I can do it.

Same here. I never thought about it before, but it makes sense. I have to draw almost every line over again. I usually draw very lightly and then decide which lines worked out the best with a final darker line. I like working with pen and ink so I can make my good lines permanent and then erase all of the squiggly ones. :)

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 3:30 pm

celticknot wrote:
grahamguitarman wrote:

Link to My Website

Wow, excellent work!

Yes, there's a big difference between my writing and drawing as well. In high school, I had a teacher ask me not to write in cursive anymore. :oops: But I continue to be very good at drawing. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because the movements in drawing can be bigger and come more from the arm than the wrist and fingers. Or maybe because each process uses a different hemisphere of the brain.

Thanks :) I agree that it could be a difference in how you move your hands, now I think about it, when I write I'm just using my fingers, but when I draw I do indeed use my whole hand / arm. and there is also that old left brain vs right brain thing too, I think drawing is left brain and writing is right brain (or something like that)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 3:31 pm

jugbandblues wrote:
Your work is amazing :)

I also draw and paint and tough I've got trouble being very accurate, I've developped my own style - a lot of messy lines giving a very expressive and almost realistic result.

Again Thanks :)

Being expressive is perhaps the most important part of art anyway :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:42 pm

I have always loved to draw. My favorite subjects are anime style humans, and I struggle the most with anatomy and proportion. Although I have come under heavy criticism from some people in the past, others seem to be quite taken with my work. I guess my art is no different than anyone else's in the respect that whether or not it is of acceptable quality is subjective.