Do you have a problem listening to directions?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:25 pm

I don't know how to explain this issue sorry. When given directions such as chores to do around the house or something I pause and think "ok they want me to do X,Y,Z" Ok then I start it. I have to process it in my brain first for some reason. :-( My sister said I shouldn't do that. I stare off into space and "zone out" as people tend to call it then say "ok" and go do X,Y,Z job. I have to tell myself things "Dishes/laundry/feed cat. In that order or I forget.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 8:31 pm

Verbal processing issue.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2013, 8:31 pm

It sounds exactly familiar!
I lose track or get distracted so easily, even if it two tasks I need to do, I put them in order of which makes logical sense (do this, on the way, followed by this task after) and then I repeat the key words to myself silently or under my breath until I have moved close enough to the actual task to be doing the task. Then I still repeat the following tasks. Otherwise I would just wander around!! !

things like sweatshirt/drink water/print internet form/text mother. repeat repeat repeat. Or I do it at work with work tasks. I know it looks like I am talking to myself but it keeps me going in the correct direction and I make more efficient use of my time.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

Yup. I do that too. I have to repeat it inside my head at least once, or better yet say it out loud. Like at work, my collegue might tell me 'set up the scanners, call the subcontrctor about X and make a PO for ZZZ'. Then I have to repeat it back to them: 'set up the scanners, call the subcontrctor about X and make a PO for ZZZ', else I forget some part of it. Also I like to repeat instructions out loud so they can correct me if I misheard. If it's home around the house I usually just do it in my head. Usually I end up doing a mantra in my head, repeating it over and over again.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

Absolutely this happens to me! Lists help...

krampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 9:43 pm

I'm bad with verbal directions too. I use lists and action items almost exclusively. My wife routinely creates lists of things for me to do in Out of Milk, a smartphone shopping list app.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm

I also have the same problem. I need to have people write the directions down for me on a note pad.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

Yeah, I have issues with this.

One issue is audio processing. If I try to listen to the directions, I rapidly reach some kind of "limit" I think and I stop processing additional directions.

My therapist gave me a list of directions once to test this - there were only three instructions, but I only remembered the first and the third. I didn't remember hearing a second instruction or anything to do with it. Edit: Actually I remembered there was a third, but I got the third instruction so wrong it was ridiculous.

I just zone out sometimes and can't process anything. Total agnosia for a period of time.

Another issue is that I can't properly prioritize lists of tasks without having written instructions. Otherwise it all just jumbles together and becomes an incomprehensible mess.

Last edited by Verdandi on 24 Jun 2013, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

I forget instructions all the time, then I have to call my boss to ask him what he told me to do.

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
If I'm told to do XYZ, I have a tendency to finish X and go along my merry way. Y and Z just don't register in my mind. :oops:

Edit: Actually, this precisely except I can remember I was supposed to do some YZ job, I just can't remember what they were. :P

Last edited by r84shi37 on 24 Jun 2013, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:07 am

NEtikiman wrote:
Absolutely this happens to me! Lists help...

Me too. My understanding is that working memory is used to follow multi-step instructions. This is an area of deficiency for me.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:09 am

If I'm told to do XYZ, I have a tendency to finish X and go along my merry way. Y and Z just don't register in my mind. :oops:

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

I have to create an image. It usually comes out as a stratified stack: the position of the task in the stack indicative of its priority or order of execution.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2013, 1:10 am

I sometime have problems listening to directions, and processing those directions.

I really can't multitask, and even forget to pay attention to the directions.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 1:15 am

SPtread wrote:
I really can't multitask, and even forget to pay attention to the directions.

Definitely. I learn by punching the ocean. That's as slow a go as you might bet.

EQ: 6.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 1:17 am

It's better if they are written down or if you are told in steps but not all at once. Like if they want you to do the dishes, they tell you to do them and then after you do them or are nearly finished, they then tell you the next step they want you to do.

I used to think I had a very bad memory or something and I couldn't understand why I couldn't remember. Now I know.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2013, 1:54 am

Quote:
"zeldapsychology"]I don't know how to explain this issue sorry. When given directions such as chores to do around the house or something I pause and think "ok they want me to do X,Y,Z" Ok then I start it. I have to process it in my brain first for some reason. :-( My sister said I shouldn't do that. I stare off into space and "zone out" as people tend to call it then say "ok" and go do X,Y,Z job. I have to tell myself things "Dishes/laundry/feed cat. In that order or I forget.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

yes and again yes! I also shut down totally if anyone is telling me what to do, or trying to teach me something.

Arthur Rimbaud.