Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

Does anyone here happen to have friends who are born blind? I have several and have found that they are much easier to associate with than non-blind neurotypicals. They share a lot of odd behaviours that a lot of autistics have such as stims and stuff like that. It's really interesting. After befriending several of them I noticed that I'm a lot more social and it helps me out with my public self a lot. Not everyone is the same obviously in both terms of autistics and the blind but I think there's definitely some strange common ground. Personally I feel really natural around them though, even moreso than some autistics lol

I think some of it has something to do with that they can't see you, they don't notice your face and the fact that you're looking off, or not really reacting. It raises a lot of questions about what aspects of life are affected by just autism and those that are affected by visual pressures.

I know the relation has been suggested in the past but it's fascinating to me. Does anyone know anything about it? Or anyone have any personal experiences?

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

Scia
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

I haven't had a lot of experience with blind people. However, there's one occasion that stands out in my mind where I saw a guy rocking and not really looking at things. My first impression was that he might be autistic. I asked, and was told he's blind. I've long considered differences like Autism and what have you to be interesting, so it was still neat either way.

On a fairly related note, I've studied some things about the Deaf community (with a capital 'D'). It started out as just learning about ASL because I hear it works for a lot of Autistics (something to do with your hands that people won't yell at you for + a way to communicate without speaking). Still, I find it fascinating how there are many similarities between the Deaf community and the Autistic community: They communicate differently and often have trouble with 'normal' people because of it. They perceive the world differently and sometimes that clashes with 'normal' people. They've developed their own culture. They're often persecuted by 'hearies' that don't like to put up with them and want them to be 'normal.' Many of them would refuse a 'magic pill' that would 'cure' their deafness.

While I haven't heard much specifically about the blind(/Blind?) community, I suspect many of those attributes also apply to them.

(I also keep wondering about this one person that wrote about using ASL because of a speech impediment, but hates when people start shouting to see if they'll hear because they actually have sensitive hearing. It may be just a coincidence, but that combination of traits keeps reminding me of Autism.)

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

Wow, that's honestly really cool. I see a lot of stark similarities with my experiences with the blind as yours with the deaf. The way you described the Deaf really sounds a lot like how the Blind describe themselves. Especially that "super cure" part at the end - a lot of blindies I know have a pretty split opinion on being cured of it. They have a lot of trouble dealing with most people because either they are ignored or they're misunderstood, so they end up being socially isolated a lot. People think they're stupid because they're blind, when they're actually really smart. Seems like its the same way with the deaf and the autistic. I wonder what's the missing link here.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

I've never felt a strong connection with either, but maybe that's my autism talking :wink: . In college, I took notes for a blind student whom I shared a couple classes with. I've had a little more experience with the deaf community, but the same experience.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

Many blind people find the term blindy / blindies offensive.

The majority of blind people can see something. Only something like 1 in 6 can't see anything at all.

I have friends who were born blind and some who became blind as children / young adults.

What's this "odd bhaviour" you speak of? I can't say I've noticed it myself when I'm with my blind friends.

I should also add that I was born with partial sight in both eyes.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm

cant recall ever knowing anyone blind before apart from one young adult on a disability forum,but an old support staff of mine used to work in a blind/VI charity [henshaws] residential home for blind young adults; found it also interesting that the majority of them were diagnosed autistic to-that wasnt what the homes was aiming for.

this is one issue that personaly do not have problems with,call it a positive trait of severe autism; am unable to feel peer pressure, completely lack social rules awareness and have a very different perception of humans to high functioning autists or NTs,am the type who walks around nude looking for support to get changed and can get pretty offended and confused when quickly marched back into bedroom by staff as they say are not supposed to be out infront of others nude/a social rule.
am able to be around any group without having any expectations or judgements of them apart from NTs,thanks to the severe life long bullying have suffered.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jun 2013, 6:43 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Many blind people find the term blindy / blindies offensive.

The majority of blind people can see something. Only something like 1 in 6 can't see anything at all.

I have friends who were born blind and some who became blind as children / young adults.

What's this "odd bhaviour" you speak of? I can't say I've noticed it myself when I'm with my blind friends.

I should also add that I was born with partial sight in both eyes.

Apparently "blindisms" are relatively common and hated at least as much as stims are hated in us:

http://gwensthingsunseen.blogspot.com/2 ... -need.html

http://www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/spring02/blindisms.htm