Page 8 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 1:20 pm

Thread locked. The OP hasn't returned to comment and the thread has drifted way off topic.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 2:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
If it was up to me I'd get rid of the PPR forum...or have one of those sticky posts up that clearly explains it is a debate forum. Amd though this may not be a popular opinion I think the site guidelines about personal attacks and what not should still apply in that forum though some moderators disagree and think personal attacks are fine in that forum.

I don't know I just have never seen anything good come out of that forum, just arguing and people belittling each other over different opinions.

There is already a sticky post at the top of the forum explaining that it is a debate forum and it also gives members guidelines on what is and is not acceptable behaviour on that forum. If someone doesn't bother to read it that is their problem, they have no grounds for complaint when other members start debating their posts and amongst each other. The opening poster of a thread does not "own" that thread, nor can they dictate how it should progress. All members can participate and debate throwing in what opinions they hold.

It was the membership themselves that wanted a debate sub-forum within WP with minimal involvement from moderators, allowing members to debate amongst themselves with (almost) free speech. Moderators only tend to step in to threads in PPR when asked to do so or if we happen to spot someone making nasty personal attacks. The philosophy of the PPR forum is encapsulated in the site rule "Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not."

The best advice I can give regarding PPR is: "If you can't stand the heat, keep out of the kitchen". PPR is for debating and some debates do get very hot and are not for the feint hearted.

Meh its not the debate part I mind, its that the site rules don't apply to that section that bothers me. It was either you or another moderator who stated personal attacks are fine, because its PPR. Or I could have misunderstood, anyways I have gotten in the habit of not continuing to post in a topic there when it turns into a flame fest.

Neither me nor any other moderator has ever said personal attacks are fine in PPR. Quite the contrary. I suggest you read the PPR forum guidelines sticky at the head of the PPR forum.

I realize that you have to do your job of reciting the WP corporate catechism, but lets get real. That rule is irrelevent to this discussion.

We all know that the tactic of WP bullies is to pretend to be only "attacking the idea" but to do so in such a meanspirited way that its obviously really "an attack on the person". Bullies rarely have the honesty to do thier personal attacks by openly "attacking the person". In fact they hide behind that very rule to launch their attacks.

Not that you, nor anyone, can do much about it. There are always those who exploit the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law.

Just a hypothetical question:
Lets say we make a rule that covers attacking ideas too.
Whats the purpose of a forum to discuss politics/religion then?

Listen to each member rant about their political views without anyone correcting each other/pointing out possible mistakes on others logical patterns?

Whats the purpose of discussion on any topic if we cant attack ideas?

Several threads about how people just grew out of their autism through psychic´s help could appear and you d only be allowed to say that you are very happy that this person does no longer have autism and that you dont know why so many people hate on psychics