04 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Soon this thread will be moved to PPR. :twisted:

It certainly seems to be heading that way. :lol:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 11:54 am

Ah, a conundrum no less. Does conversation about the PPR forum actually make it a PPR discussion :chin: I think not personally. There is always the site discussions forum, but then as OP made this thread about the attitude of members not the site itself, it doesn't belong there either. So, as it crosses a variety of forums, perhaps General really is the best place for it. Anyway, a healthy discussion has ensued because of the thread, which as it's not in PPR, hopefully members will not take over in the vein of PPR flaming.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:01 pm

Philosophising about religion makes it PPR. :roll:

Last edited by neilson_wheels on 04 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:01 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Ah, a conundrum no less. Does conversation about the PPR forum actually make it a PPR discussion :chin: I think not personally. There is always the site discussions forum, but then as OP made this thread about the attitude of members not the site itself, it doesn't belong there either. So, as it crosses a variety of forums, perhaps General really is the best place for it. Anyway, a healthy discussion has ensued because of the thread, which as it's not in PPR, hopefully members will not take over in the vein of PPR flaming.

It is fine here for the moment, but if it drifts off into a sustained debate again about the existence / non-existence of souls or gods again then it will be time to reconsider.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

PPR is my favorite,I've yet to encounter a personal attack anywhere near what I've gone through in my offline life.As far as I'm concerned,bring it on :lol: I sharpen my teeth every morning with an Arkansas Stone.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
PPR is my favorite,I've yet to encounter a personal attack anywhere near what I've gone through in my offline life.As far as I'm concerned,bring it on :lol: I sharpen my teeth every morning with an Arkansas Stone.

That's the attitude. :cheers:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
Philosophising about religion makes it PPR. :roll:

I sense irritation NW? The thread is about behaviour of members. :roll: :roll:

@Tallyman: by that proviso any thread whatsoever that has any tangential input from anyone means it should get moved from one forum to another. Since when has a thread about something particular (and headed as such) been moved because of comments by posters?!

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:37 pm

Sorry Wmd, slipped into PPR mode :rambo: for a second there....

It really does take a lot to irritate me. 8)

Last edited by neilson_wheels on 04 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

Ha,ha! WMD (the weapon one) is that where I've been going wrong all my life. :lol:

So PPR really is a door through which you've gone it's every man for himself! And if you are not careful the mantle of hell sticks to you as you depart and rears it's ugly head in other forums :lol: .

Where is OP I wonder. He shouldn't leave, especially as we are having fun.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:44 pm

Still AWOL. :salut:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm

For someone that claims to be a RedHogRider he sure is a wuss.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
No you're not, I think many have noticed it. And it's so shallow and arrogant, that they think they know everything purely on the basis that they attended a brick university.

No-one knows everything, no-one is right about everything and we are all learning as we go. I cannot abide that sneering, condescension demonstrated by some members. Any useful idea that someone comes up with, any intelligent theory, any attempt at discussion and they will swoop in like the grim reaper and demand citations and research and try to kill discussion and make people feel inferior.

What you have to understand is that asking for citations is the best way of distinguishing between truth and non-truth, particularly in the field of science. I don't think the "intellectual snobs" are being arrogant when someone claims to have made a major scientific discovery and they ask for some evidence, that's just science at work.

It is arrogant when they ask for scientific evidence of something non-scientific, like the existence of God, and belittle people who believe in God despite this lack of evidence. But if people want to pretend to be scientists, they shouldn't be surprised that they have to stand up to scrutiny, and shouldn't resort to anti-intellectual snobbery.

Walrus, the thing is though science, mathematics and other systems have a set of axioms. Can you prove axioms. You would have to go outside of the system of science and mathematics to prove the axioms behind them. Can one prove the concept of proving? How would you do this and show a proof for this without proving? By proving, you will be using circular logic.

Therein lies the problem with demanding proof for all. Some things can't be proven and are not provable. When certain pretentious academics ask for proof on everything claimed what they're asking for is impossible to do.

Thanks for a wise comment. It is impossible to prove everything, but self-verification of various principles is possible, and this approach can be more or less methodical and scientific, but at best is always a soft science; however, life, in itself, is soft, involving and allowing for interchange, but also various people's false premises (which do not correspond to physical reality can become hardened and crystallized and then they try to make it the rule. This can happen in any context. To guard against that happening in oneself would require great vigilance and skill, but to keep it from happening in others one would need to make a very deep study and dedication

On page 4, in a previous message to the one quoted, you wrote;
Quote:
In fact, how is it possible for one to be able to discern what choices he or she has without some rudimentary level of knowledge? For example, for one to walk somewhere one would have to be able to understand the concept of walking and be able to walk.

Thanks. This would have to be the case, as everything a person does depends on conception, meaning the naming of objects by function for the purpose of orientation, the end result of which is a movement; however there may be an easier example to help people understand than the one you have given, even though it is technically correct because, in a sense, it only applies to a person just learning to walk, as afterwards the ability to walk is programmed into ones functioning. I think the object of knowledge would be the body as it is moving in relationship to the environment, going to a particular place, even home. And correlation various idea can easily become based on a false premise, which is sad, as this can cause great suffering to people...

but I would be careful about censoring the speech of human beings past a certain point, as it is necessary to give people an opportunity to work some things through, and to completely take that away can become a form of enabling that can cripple people even more than they already may be. .I understand that stricter guidelines than on many other forums may be appropriate on WP. I have have never even been to that other section until an hour ago when I just glanced at a couple of discussions, but I think it is healthy that there is a more gray area like that. People need that kind of environment where there is some perceived conflict and also a greater contrast in order to be able to work certain material through for themselves and so develop the power of discrimination---not talking about racial discrimination here:-) but to be able to discover the inner and deeper differences between this and that in all kinds of variations with their subtle nuances. For instance, if someone does not say I am stupid (even though it would be perfectly fine with me if they do), but rather, by the way they are framing language, implies I am stupid, so what? Sometimes I am, and one way I have become more intelligent is by other people pointing it out to me, but a person who is super sensitive to the point of even having a personality disorder might become extremely upset with this, and generally speaking there is no reason to upset such a person and get him or her all worked up, though in life there might sometimes be an exception to this general principle.. And no, I am not implying that anyone on this thread has a personality disorder, but quite a few on WP do. I know this because many have identified themselves as having such.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 1:24 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
No you're not, I think many have noticed it. And it's so shallow and arrogant, that they think they know everything purely on the basis that they attended a brick university.

No-one knows everything, no-one is right about everything and we are all learning as we go. I cannot abide that sneering, condescension demonstrated by some members. Any useful idea that someone comes up with, any intelligent theory, any attempt at discussion and they will swoop in like the grim reaper and demand citations and research and try to kill discussion and make people feel inferior.

What you have to understand is that asking for citations is the best way of distinguishing between truth and non-truth, particularly in the field of science. I don't think the "intellectual snobs" are being arrogant when someone claims to have made a major scientific discovery and they ask for some evidence, that's just science at work.

It is arrogant when they ask for scientific evidence of something non-scientific, like the existence of God, and belittle people who believe in God despite this lack of evidence. But if people want to pretend to be scientists, they shouldn't be surprised that they have to stand up to scrutiny, and shouldn't resort to anti-intellectual snobbery.

Walrus, the thing is though science, mathematics and other systems have a set of axioms. Can you prove axioms. You would have to go outside of the system of science and mathematics to prove the axioms behind them. Can one prove the concept of proving? How would you do this and show a proof for this without proving? By proving, you will be using circular logic.

Therein lies the problem with demanding proof for all. Some things can't be proven and are not provable. When certain pretentious academics ask for proof on everything claimed what they're asking for is impossible to do.

Quite. And who says that God isn't a scientific concept? I once saw a documentary which I think was about the nature of the human soul and life after death, or at least was about quantum physics and the properties of everything and it discussed the human soul as a scientific concept. There were contributions from scientists on the matter, I wish I could remember this programme and look it up, but it was some time ago. Basically, (I might be a bit woolly here but the gist is correct) they did some either experiments or advanced theorising, involving viewing everything at a seriously tiny level. They did a computer representation showing everything as actually being on a matrix, and it had something to do with human energy definitely existing after the physical body dies, and posed the question why couldn't that be as a soul which carries on elsewhere as a form of energy. Energy is never lost it merely transforms. So my point being (following that vague and very fuzzy explanation) is that if scientifically they can prove that something exists which could constitute a soul, why could not something exist scientifically which constitutes God (another form of energy). So Walrus, you say God is non-scientific so cannot be proven...dah,dah! Could you even be wrong? And should it be so, the entire premise of your reasoning, simply falls apart.

Like I say, no-one knows everything. No-one even knows all there is to know about their particular field of expertise. They just know a lot of what is possible to understand from a human perspective.

The law of conservation of energy and mass is what you are talking about. Matter and energy is neither created or destroyed only transformed.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

littlebee, thanks for your compliments. This is the best way I can explain why in my opinion one can't prove everything. Imagine one has an infinite amount of jars inside of each other with infinite amount of beads. The jars have a finite amount of volume. The beads are all looped on this infinite amount of string and each jar is filled with a finite amount of beads until one can't fill the jar anymore. Each jar in the set of infinite amount of jars filled.

Imagine the beads represent something provable. When something is proved we take out a bead. Eventually we reach the last bead in a particular jar. The last bead in a particular jar would be considered the axiom by the way. In order to prove this one would have to go outside of the jar until one reaches infinity.

Is there a jar that would have all jars or in mathematical terms is there a set of all sets? If there is, how do I get the jar that contains all jars or the set that contains all of the sets? There are members who demand proof for all. I ask, how is this logically possible? If I am wrong and my reasoning is off then why is it off? What do others perceive that I am not following?

This picture is what is being demanding by those who demand proof for all. This is my best illustration of the concept I am conveying.

http://www.shipping-worldwide.com/bigst ... r_7716.jpg

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

RedHogRider wrote:
The straw that broke the camel’s back was a thread I started asking about resources for Christian aspies. For those of us that share the Christian faith, having Asperger’s presents different challenges. I was hoping to find others who are like-minded.

There are some Christians here. I am Christian although I am NT.

I did not see your post. But I only go to a few of the forums. Please don't let one or a few people ruin what could be a good place for you. Just report any bullying behavior to a moderator.

I hope you will stick around because I wouldn't mind some Christian fellowship online myself. Christians get bashed a LOT on the internet, all sorts of places. It's nice to even read someone saying they are one.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

And if infinity exists, who's to say what is in the infinity or what the infinity is capable of. Of course we can't even see all the dimensions that supposedly exist. So what if there is proof of something in this dimension that continuing or contradictory evidence of exists in another dimension, what do those sarcastic members that refuse to think outside the box say about that then? And thinking inside a box, does not even acknowledge infinity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but having opinions that lots of other people have and have written university courses about doesn't mean it's proof. What if the "proof" we find in this dimension is only a part of a reality that we cannot comprehend that spans dimensions and what we think is proof, is actually something different if you could see into all the dimensions and comprehend more than the laws of physics for example, that we understand now?

You can tell I'm on the wine now. :wink:

Woah, heavy man.