Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 1:03 am

So I've finally gone through the diagnosis process, and I'm finding out the results in 8 hours (after sleep... I don't know what to expect, tell me something good to wake up to? :p

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2013, 1:59 am

Either you're going to wake up to the news you more than half expect, or you're not.
Thinking about it won't change the result, and lack of sleep will only make you more anxious.
Spend some time on whatever helps you feel comfortable, read a book, watch some DVD's, or play computer games; whatever will help distract you and settle you mind.
Even if it's time to sleep, there's no point trying if your mind is racing, as you will only frustrate yourself more.
Just be easier on yourself, and remember if your diagnosis works out to be that you are indeed an Aspie or Autie, that at least you'll have a starting point to work from, trying to improve your life.

If not you can discuss it with your health care professional, and work out your next step.
There are plenty of people qualified to help you out, but you need to work out what you're dealing with first, and that's why you went for the diagnosis, so it all gets better from here - not smooth sailing, but your on track to make things better for yourself.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 4:20 am

Shhhhhh.....everyone be quiet........he's asleep..... :chin:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 4:40 am

(whispering or feeding subliminally into dream-state):

You will wake up to the fact that either way, you are still the same person. Even if you don't get a DX you must have similar issues to go for assessment in the first place so the same approaches to help people with ASCs will likely help you too. You may end up with a different diagnosis, and hopefully will get support for that too. Or you will be DXd with AS/HFA and will know your suspicions were founded. Either way, I hope they give you an answer for your issues that helps you come to terms with them.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 9:15 am

thanks for the replies, exactly what I needed to hear.. just waiting for the doc now.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 4:31 am

I'm apparently just intelligent and psychotic (what they consider psychotic I see as having a philosophical approach to life...)
So all I was given was a result of 99th percentile on some IQ test and drugs that I probably don't want to take, save if I want to get worse.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 9:10 am

How do you feel about the process and the conclusion?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 9:20 am

What exactly is there about you that they're using as a basis for claiming you're psychotic?

Do you talk to invisible purple giraffes or on occasion try to walk across the ceiling?

That isn't meant to be unkind. I'm just wondering why they'd say something like that.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 2:16 pm

Sethno wrote:
What exactly is there about you that they're using as a basis for claiming you're psychotic?

Do you talk to invisible purple giraffes or on occasion try to walk across the ceiling?

That isn't meant to be unkind. I'm just wondering why they'd say something like that.

I don't think they're psychotic thoughts, just very obscure philosophical thoughts that are easily resolved by accepting objective reality, or some other seemingly obvious axiom.
I'd rather not get into examples, but overall this process was somewhat enlightening; I've learned that being inquisitive, questioning everything, and being intelligent while doing so is considered a mental illness... So, as I have been doing, I will continue studying eastern philosophies and "psychologies" and psychoanalysis. I'm so done with the pharmaceutical industry's little army: 'psychiatrists'.