lists/timer systems that r EF dysfunction proof

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

spiralysmile
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2013, 7:09 am

oops. meant to post here: postp5494955.html

Last edited by spiralysmile on 10 Jul 2013, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:21 am

spiralysmile wrote:
-two column to-do list-

this was a weird one. even after forcing myself to make a list, i would never use it. i'd look at it, get overwhelmed, and do nothing instead. realized that in the moment, my brain was taking the list literally - even though i knew that it might not matter what order i did things in, because it was a to-do list, with things on it in an order, i somehow was hung up on that order. if i didn't wash the dishes, i couldn't go visit my friend. or, more likely, i wanted to visit my friend, so i couldn't do the dishes. but seriously, it was spooky. i'd look at the list and feel that awful 'brain lock up', just total mental shut down.

i started using two column lists. in one column, i put anything happening during the day at specific times. in the other column, i'd list a bunch of things i wanted to do with my day. sometimes, i'd star the most important stuff, but usually just list everything. when i first started doing this, i also had to write myself a note - 'this side looks like it's in order but it's not'. eventually i learned to remember that.

My way out of the "must do things in the order they are written" trap was Post-It notes. If I have things that need doing in a particular order (such as meal prep) I stick with the list and follow it sequentially. If no sequence is required (and a sequence could be a trap, like you say), I write the things to do on Post-It notes and stick them to a blank sheet of paper or a board in no order, just in disarray. Then I randomly choose a Post-It note, tear it off the board/sheet and do it. I am done when all the Post-It notes are off the board/sheet but that way there is no self-imposed sequence.