Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2013, 4:25 pm

Knowing my luck, I'd step on to the spaceship and be taken for dissection :lol:

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

I'd definitely want to go for a visit and decide if it was truly "right" for me. Lately, on this one, I've been feeling stuck in a rut...maybe I'm just depressed, or maybe I really do need a change of some kind....

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

233_Directive
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm

If the Right Planet is Vulcan, I'm there!

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm

TBH i doubt i would do any better near aspies.

I dont understand this magic, that if we were only aspies then everything would be fine ?.

I mean sure it might be fine, because i still wouldn interact more with other people so again, what would change by leaving for right planet ?.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 11:48 pm

loner1984 wrote:
what would change by leaving for right planet ?.

In my case, at the very least, I'd be able to make a living. I wouldn't be fired from all jobs for being "a bit off", "weird", "too honest", a bad politics player, etc.

I might also be able to have a romantic partner, and friends, as I wouldn't be a black sheep everywhere I went.

I'd experience, for the first time in my life, natural and simple belonging.

My merits and kind heart would shine instead of being constantly blamed for my autistic traits - I could be appreciated by people even though I don't look them in the eye much.

But most of all, I wouldn't have to sit again and again in that chair across the desk from the manager one day suddenly, after having given my all to the job, and hear that I'm let go because something about me, something undefinable, is "off".

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 3:43 pm

Where would we get the money to build a rocket and buy fuel for it, while I have heard that the fuel for the ex-Soviet ICBMs (a-dimethyl hydrazine) was looking for a good home. But I do not know how much they are selling it, also it might not be a good fuel for a larger rocket. I recall the first stage of the moon shot rockets used kerosene and liquid oxygen. The oxidant is a real monster but the fuel is more of a p**** cat than Me2N-NH2 is.

Also I might not like being stuck in a overgrown drinks can with a bunch of other aspies for months while flying to the new planet. I am sure that in a random group of aspies that some confict might occur between two people who refuse to compromise.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 3:53 pm

Moondust wrote:
If someone knocked on your door and invited you to the Right Planet for us aspies, would you pack and leave for good?

No because I don't like changes.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2013, 11:39 pm

Moondust wrote:
If someone knocked on your door and invited you to the Right Planet for us aspies, would you pack and leave for good?

What's the right planet though? Do you mean one where we're all the same and can relate to eachother? That would be nice but when I think about it some aspies do not like to be social (or can't) so that might not solve those problems. Other than that yeah absolutely if it was an awesomely good place.

But what's wrong with this planet I wonder? I might not have loads of friends and I may be "withdrawn" but that doesn't mean I dislike people in general. Take the good with the bad even if the bad really sucks. Lately I come across people that are actually nice which is refreshing.

So to sum that up if there was something really great reason to do that yeah. If not I'd definately not be getting on some kind of aspie ark :-P It would mean leaving things/people behind.

Quintex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2013, 2:31 am

Ten or more years ago, I would have been ready to go without hesitation but I am not sure at this point. There was 35 years of misery before diagnosis and then five years of trying to understand and accept what I am. Now I am happy with a job where my superiors and coworkers know of and more importantly, understand my positives and negatives. They watch out for me while treating me like an equal, not a charity or liability. I also realized that I had created a network of true friends, some of whom I have known since grade school or for more than 40 years. I also realized that I have been lucky to have family and friends that always accepted me for what I am, "weirdness" and all. I don't think I could ever leave these people behind.

Also, I don't always get along with other Aspies. We are black in white with little compromise and we all don't think the same way. This leads to irreconcilable differences in some cases. I am really not sure a large group of Aspies would be as idyllic as some people think it would be.

On the other hand it would be nice to not be the person laughing at the wrong part of the joke all the time. Not having to explain that I prefer to live alone in my dimly lit apartment with the objects of my interests generally referred to as my "toys". To not have to hide stim activity in public (I fail at this) or to respond using "scripts" rather than just saying what I want to when dealing with daily life. It would be wonderful to be able to go grocery shopping anytime rather than driving by the late night store a few times checking to see if it is empty enough to allow for peaceful shopping. No more motorcycles with straight pipes or "tuned" car exhaust systems. No more people lying their way through life and hiding their real thoughts.

Yes, I can see the attraction of moving to the "right planet", but you would really have to prove to me that it would be better.

Moondust wrote:
In my case, at the very least, I'd be able to make a living. I wouldn't be fired from all jobs for being "a bit off", "weird", "too honest", a bad politics player, etc.

But most of all, I wouldn't have to sit again and again in that chair across the desk from the manager one day suddenly, after having given my all to the job, and hear that I'm let go because something about me, something undefinable, is "off".

This would have been nice for the first 25 years of my work life. To be told "you may as well quit since we can't promote you" or the "we have been in this situation before" speech right before the discussion of the terms of my termination. My personal favourite was "technically you are our best person but we can't trust you with the client" speech.

Manamo1976
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2013, 1:25 pm

I don't I have to go another planet but, it would be nice to get a translator from that planet to help the NTs understand my obscure references.... :P

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
For example. I would like to be able go to a dance club like place and have a stimming party with other people and feel proud and joyful about who we are instead of felling embarrassed and ashamed about it and have to hide it because NT's don't get it.

Oh! Your comment made me think of a music video I saw at the gym in which a bunch of people look like they are sort of doing synchronized stimming in the woods, but I don't know the name of the artist and I can't find it! So frustrating. it looked really cool and they were all wearing hats.