Autistic disorders and lack of reflexes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2013, 1:19 am

When I have that knee tapping reflex test... I don't react. No reaction. No knee twitch, jerk, or kick. Nothing. It surprised my doctor.He actually smiled and kept tapping like it was a game-didn't bother me because it doesn't hurt or anything. I didn't even know what that test was supposed to do. I didn't know it was to see your reaction to it. I mean I'm smart I think but that's not my field and sometimes I can be quite oblivious or literal of something or both. And it's not a test they do on me very often-never really have that I REMEMBER anyways. I've always been this way. Anyone else?

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 1:24 am

Same here. I have that, I also don't swing my arms while walking, or any of the 'natural' reflexes that humans are supposed to have. Whatever it is what it is.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2013, 1:47 am

My knees kick but I'm impervious to pressure points. I've stymied and disappointed many a karate kid who tried to impress me with pressure point knowledge.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:00 am

Absolutely all of mine have been retrained. I respond to the simple tests, but I like adrenaline WAY too much to do any more than ignore it and keep the peace, even if someone's trying to pick a fight with me. It's fast cars, BMX and overpriced skis to the bitter end for this aspie.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Goalie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

I have heightened reflexes but I can control any of them and pressure points if i'm put in the situation. My sense of touch is pretty heightened in general and I'm an ice hockey goalie so those reflexes are great ;). I do agree with not swinging my arms and having the natural responses of motion like most people do. My motions are more copying what I see and trying to blend in and even then it looks awkward as it's not my natural movement. I do fidget constantly and drum on everything but i'm a drummer too so I see the drumset visually and am actually playing half the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 11:54 am

I have reflexes and doctors have always said it was normal but I had one doctor that said it was autism. :? I will never understand the contradiction. Maybe I was just having an autistic moment at the time so it got marked at autism for the reflexes and I was moving my body too when he hit me with the thing. The second time I was told by another doctor "No cheating" and hit me again and marked my reflexes as normal when I didn't move my body. But it hurts sometimes when they hit me there so I move my body.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

I have really bad reflexes

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:12 pm

I have atypical reflexes when the doc taps my knee with the mallet. it takes up to a second before I respond to some things like painful stimuli, and then I have an exaggerated response.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

My reflexes are advanced... It would be awesome if I wasn't clumsy...