Are people on the spectrum better Animal Whisperers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2014, 10:15 am

In the parents forum we have been talking about pets for kids on the spectrum and animal intelligence.
It came up that a number of people on the spectrum are animal and kid whisperers.

Do you think more kids and adults on the spectrum are better animal whisperers? Are there more kids than adults, do some out grow it or stop interacting as they get older.

How about adults as kid whisperers?

I am an animal and kid whisperer. My opinion, for what it counts, I suspect that those on the spectrum are better animal and kid whisperers.

What do you think or have you read research in this area?

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 10:27 am

No research, but I'm guessing that the social deficits that so many of us suffer make us more inclined to have furry friends.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 10:37 am

I have heard that we can be better at it. I have actually had some success with animals in my life.

Wreck It Ralph

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2014, 1:05 pm

I have never come across the term 'kid whisperer' before, but it seems unlikely to me that people with Asperger's Syndrome would be top of the list, if the major requirement is a high degree of empathy!

In my working life, I had to visit people's homes, and it was not at all uncommon for dog owners to remark that their pets were unusually willing to accept my presence in their territory.

On one occasion, a customer asked me to wait in my van while he locked up his pair of roaming guard dogs. But he inadvertently failed to properly secure the door to the animals' pen. As I started to walk across the customer's yard, heavily laden with my tools and equipment, the dogs suddenly re-appeared and ran towards me in an extremely noisy and threatening manner. There was nothing I could do, so I froze. The dogs stopped short, and became quiet. The customer saw what had happened from his kitchen window and found it difficult to believe that I had not been torn limb from limb.

It has never before occurred to me that the dogs might have been able to sense that I was 'different'.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:19 pm

I have always been pretty good with animals...I've even had peoples pets that usually aren't friendly towards new people come up to me with no problem.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:14 pm

I have long conversations with the housecat :D

I meow at her and she meows at me. Occasionally I get the just of what she is saying but I have no clue what I'm saying to her.

We seem to get along famously however.

:D

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:22 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
I have long conversations with the housecat :D

I meow at her and she meows at me. Occasionally I get the just of what she is saying but I have no clue what I'm saying to her.

We seem to get along famously however.

:D

This is the kind of post I hate. :evil:

The clever funny post I had on my mind will just fall flat on it's face after your puuurrrrfect post. :jester: :jester: :jester:

Anyway I hate cats smelly selfish and those claws. :lol:

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:31 pm

Oooops - sorry about that.

I do actually meow at the cat at the cat meows back. I don't know why I do it and I notice NT's don't seem to do that sort of thing so I do wonder if it's an aspie thing to try to talk to animals in their own language or if it's just one of my own special oddities.

8O

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Oooops - sorry about that.

I do actually meow at the cat at the cat meows back. I don't know why I do it and I notice NT's don't seem to do that sort of thing so I do wonder if it's an aspie thing to try to talk to animals in their own language or if it's just one of my own special oddities.

8O

Your serious?

I was convinced your post was a joke.

I guess you won't like this game then. ]Play with the nice kittys fun game

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

Yup - dead serious.

Guess I'm a cat whisperer 8O Not quite sure how I got to being one but well, here I am.

Guess the only humour in it is that my avatar is a chicken. :D

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:52 pm

What was the original question again OP? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

sharkattack wrote:
What was the original question again OP? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are people on the spectrum better Animal Whisperers?

I was beginning to forget too. :lol:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 3:46 pm

I haven't read any research on this, but could it be a persons energy? That's how I see it. I've noticed that animals respond much better to those with a calm disposition, or a stable emotional energy.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

I think it is worth considering how many animal species are in the business of establishing any kind of understanding relationship with individual human beings. I can think of two definites (dogs and horses), and one maybe (cats).

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

Pobbles wrote:
No research, but I'm guessing that the social deficits that so many of us suffer make us more inclined to have furry friends.

for some of us spectrumers,its total disconnection and lack of interaction with humans,a lack of verbal communication and a natural profound bond with animals that develops through our total cut off to humans that makes us 'whisperers',animals often dont look for interaction or communication from humans- theyre just there so there arent the demands like from a human.

animals such as horses have very similar sensory systems and fight or flight modes to us, we relate on many levels,horses like many animals hate eye contact to as it triggers varying degrees of fight or flight response.

am a horse,rat,cat and chicken whisperer, we have very profound bonds and connections that goes above and beyond the norm.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm

My family and others always thought it weird how well I get along with animals both wild and domesticated. I just always thought it was normal and never gave it much thought. I have had supposedly vicious dogs come up to me and like they already know me one time was a pit bull (yes and bred to be vicious) and started licking my face. I paid the dog no mind but the owner literally freaked out thinking her dog was going to rip my face off. LOL

I have had wild birds come up to me for no reason and even had one perch on my hand at work while I was outside taking a break. Think I posted that pic elsewhere. I have had racoons (not rabid or sick) just come up and become friends. I had one in particular I ended up taking dog treats out with me when I fed my dog. This little fellow always waited for me at the edge of the woods and came out when he saw me. Never acted afraid but he would run and disappear if a neighbor came out in another yard or a car came by. I could walk around and he'd follow me like a puppy.

There are so many examples growing up and I have pictures elsewhere of similar things. I just always thought it normal till I got older and realized that most other people don't have the same connection to animals that I do. I don't know why I do. I have never encouraged it nor discouraged it. However I find animals much nicer to be around then most people. Sorry if that offends someone it is just the way it is at least for me.