Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

Has anyone attended any of Dr Grandin's conferences? I have yet to attend one and hear her talk. Has anyone read her books? If so, did it make you feel better or worse?

http://templegrandin.com/templegrandinconf.html

I saw the list of conferences and the one in Richmond VA looks good and the cost isn't too bad. But I wonder if these conferences are more for parents of autistic people, or for professionals?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 4:23 pm

Haven't been to the conferences, but have read some of Temple's books. They are interesting, insightful and inspiring, do yourself a favour and buy them. Any books by people on the spectrum are helpful, as they will help you find self acceptance, feel less alone, and see that others on the spectrum have managed to achieve great things, regardless of the difficulties they have faced.
We all need a role model of some sorts to get through life, whether on the spectrum or note; it's just that being on the spectrum often makes it feel that we can't compete with NT' so the best solution is to read up on the achievements of others ASD's and look to that for inspiration.
By all means go to a conference if you can, but as in her books, expect Temple to talk about working with your strengths, accepting yourself, and not being lazy and using a diagnosis of ASD as an excuse to say things are too hard.
Everyone has obstacles to face, just ours are not so obvious to those that aren't on the spectrum.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 6:25 pm

you can watch/listen to her lecture online. youtube.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 6:27 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Has anyone attended any of Dr Grandin's conferences? I have yet to attend one and hear her talk. Has anyone read her books? If so, did it make you feel better or worse?

http://templegrandin.com/templegrandinconf.html

I saw the list of conferences and the one in Richmond VA looks good and the cost isn't too bad. But I wonder if these conferences are more for parents of autistic people, or for professionals?

the speech and language therapist of mine has been to conferences of hers,it gives a far better[?]bigger[?] view into how she is has been affected by classic autism compared to the books,have read thinking in pictures in PDF format as cannot read and process books but it sounds like her conferences woud be interesting for all groups.
the SALT of mine has also been to see a lot of other famous autists or people involved in autism; the only one can remember though is lorna wing, now she woud be one to look out for;she has incredible history in autism,having a daughter with profound autism who had a fatal heart attack from her acutely obsessive water drinking [pretty common obsession in severe and profound autism],and kick starting autism services in the UK.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!