is it possible to have both AS and Schizoid personality?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AutisticLiberation
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2013, 2:42 pm

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:48 pm

AutisticLiberation wrote:

Yes. Personality disorders typically manifest from maladaptive coping. See this thread.

Last edited by kirayng on 30 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

Most qualified, practicing diagnostic professionals believe more or less any condition can exist alongside AS, two individuals with exactly the same sets of diagnoses would still hypothesize very different causes of their difficulties and most likely have different senses and perceptions affected. Where two mental conditions are mutually exclusive is often where the underlying cause has yet to be defined.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm

Not according to Dr. Jennifer Van Wey, the Dr. who Dx'd me. She sat across the desk and specifically explained that Schizoid and Aspergers are mutually exclusive. She said that although the presentation are similar, it's her job as a psychologist to ascertain which is present in the subject (in this case, the subject was me, and I turned out to be aspie)

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm

i test fairly high on schizoid traits.

but ASD just fits more completely.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

Before ever going for my AS assessment, I suggested to my psychotherapist that I might fit the criteria of schizoid personality disorder. She didn't seem to think so (but she pretty much refuses to diagnose me with anything). I also suggested it to the psychiatrist who led my AS assessment. I was diagnosed with AS, but nothing else. However, after reading so many posts on WP from people who empathize a lot more and are more extrovert than me, I still believe that I show at least schizoid tendencies in addition to AS.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

I was told by my Doctor that I had both traits. I have hardly any desire to interact with others, the only reason I do is because I know it’s healthier than being completely isolated. On the other hand I also have a lot of the traits of an Aspie. As stated previously the medical community is not in complete agreement on this subject. I reason that Schizoids don’t interact because they don’t want to and persons with AS don’t because they are afraid or don’t know how.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:45 pm

I have both, one dx'ed as a schoolboy [schizotypal or schizoid depending on the shrink] and one dx'ed as an old fart [AS].

AA_Hamilton
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2013, 1:17 am

For me, maybe.

Hi, I'm new here. I have suspicions about having Asperger's. To those with such syndrome can you please help me out by replying to my post by going to my profile? Thank you for your time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:19 am

^^^
welcome to the club 8)

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 6:50 am

Though it would be harder to diagnose both.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

For s**ts and giggles...

Fior's original diagnosis was OCD, major depression and Schizoid Personality disorder. His shrink was an intellectually lazy POS.

I know people who actually have the above disorders. Fior looked like he had these on the surface, but none of it really rang true to me.

The two good shrinks who evaluated him, both said Autism (almost boarding on HFA-no language delay so Asperger), and depression.

Cliff note version on SPD vs ASD. People with Autism want to communicate. They want to have social interaction, but are thwart by their brain being wired differently. Now, the ASD person may get burnt out by bad experiences, and start avoiding people. The SPD people really have no use or desire for interaction. They can read a social situation perfectly well, but it's more of a why bother?

One is a mental illness and the other a developmental disability. My shrink says you can not have ASD and SPD. The motivation to avoid people is entirely different.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2013, 11:54 am

Tawaki wrote:
Cliff note version on SPD vs ASD. People with Autism want to communicate. They want to have social interaction, but are thwart by their brain being wired differently. Now, the ASD person may get burnt out by bad experiences, and start avoiding people. The SPD people really have no use or desire for interaction. They can read a social situation perfectly well, but it's more of a why bother?

One is a mental illness and the other a developmental disability. My shrink says you can not have ASD and SPD. The motivation to avoid people is entirely different.

I don't think that's quite right. I don't want to communicate as such. I'd love to communicate with the right one or two people if I could find them. But beyond that I have no urge to communicate. I have an IQ of 145 and am only able to connect at an intellectual level (not emotionally), and I find most people boring. Surely there's a good deal of schizoid tendencies in the mix here that aren't based on "bad experiences" (which of course I made like everyone on the spectrum). I think many people on the spectrum are perfectly content not to communicate (unless it's with the right people) and not to have social interactions.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Tawaki wrote:

If they are two separate things then it would stand to reason you could have both instead of one or the other.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

hyksos55 wrote:
Tawaki wrote:

If they are two separate things then it would stand to reason you could have both instead of one or the other.

sounds reasonable to me!

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

Aspendos wrote:
I don't think that's quite right. I don't want to communicate as such. I'd love to communicate with the right one or two people if I could find them. But beyond that I have no urge to communicate. I have an IQ of 145 and am only able to connect at an intellectual level (not emotionally), and I find most people boring. Surely there's a good deal of schizoid tendencies in the mix here that aren't based on "bad experiences" (which of course I made like everyone on the spectrum). I think many people on the spectrum are perfectly content not to communicate (unless it's with the right people) and not to have social interactions.

With the exception of the high IQ this describes me and much better than I could describe myself or even care to describe myself. I find certain people interesting and than only from an intellectual point of view but very rarely from an emotional one.

Last edited by hyksos55 on 01 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.