LIKE why it has taken over the universe, like yer

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

I struggle with the over use of the word like and the out of context use of the word.

It's amaze like I was in the study room and like I was thinking like, yer I could do this , like I'm not too bad at this , but like you know it's like I felt the people around me were like , talking about me and that, like made me paraniod, but yer like watever like, I don't care for what they think, like I'm my own person with like my own thought, OMG like comon like yer.

How do you think it has come about so much, Social Media etc or too much effort to speak and it's easier to just put Like everywhere.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

it's exactly like that.

:wink:

/whisks herself off to do a little research on paralinguistics

okay real quick found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

"In linguistics, a filler is a sound or word that is spoken in conversation by one participant to signal to others that he/she has paused to think but is not yet finished speaking.[1] These are not to be confused with placeholder names, such as thingamajig, which refer to objects or people whose names are temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown. Different languages have different characteristic filler sounds; in English, the most common filler sounds are uh /ʌ/, er /ɜː/ and um /ʌm/. Among youths, the fillers "like", "y'know", "I mean", "so", "actually", "literally", "basically", "right", "I'm tellin' ya" and "you know what I mean?" are among the more prevalent. Ronald Reagan was famous for answering questions starting with "Well...".

The term filler has a separate use in the syntactic description of wh-movement constructions..."

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm

I think it's similar to "um" where people try to fill the silence in between thoughts keeping the flow of what they are saying going and signalling to the listener that they are still talking just collecting their thoughts

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97983&page=1

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm

The amount of times the word like is used by people in conversation drives me nuts, too

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm

I agree with you folk, it is a filler but with the social media tools being able to infiltrait nearly every one its has become widespread and yes I can see it is used a filler( good research indeed) but it seems worse than other forms of pause between thoughts and is being used instead of a lot of other words which could describe what said person is talking about etc.

I'm qutie dsylicx so dont give me a hard time, I doing damn well for not being able to spell that well.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:13 pm

MaxBlack wrote:
I agree with you folk, it is a filler but with the social media tools being able to infiltrait nearly every one its has become widespread and yes I can see it is used a filler( good research indeed) but it seems worse than other forms of pause between thoughts and is being used instead of a lot of other words which could describe what said person is talking about etc.

I'm qutie dsylicx so dont give me a hard time, I doing damn well for not being able to spell that well.

The word is something that is put out unconsciously so it would be difficult to use words related to the topic. Listen to how many times most people say um or ah, just as much as like but the word seems to stand out more.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm

frankly i'd probably be better off if i used more fillers like "like." i have a constant probably with people cutting me off because they think i'm done speaking when i've actually just paused to consider my words. another reason why i prefer text...

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm

that is nothing! have you ever played an online game? the letters "lol" are everywhere! I don't even know if it means anything, but it is really annoying to see them.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
that is nothing! have you ever played an online game? the letters "lol" are everywhere! I don't even know if it means anything, but it is really annoying to see them.

Laugh out loud

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 12:33 pm

Opi wrote:
frankly i'd probably be better off if i used more fillers like "like." i have a constant probably with people cutting me off because they think i'm done speaking when i've actually just paused to consider my words. another reason why i prefer text...

Indeed I agree, the pace of life is fast and saying like certainly shorterns the convo and effort for a decent convertion.
Maybe "Like" came even more popular with FB and maybe Youtube as I have seen people type Like on websites that don't have the the like button etc. that is my thoughts.

I understand why and how Like can be used instead of saying "as if" etc , but I do not understand how people can not realise they are saying it out of context so much, all day I have heard it when their is no need for it.

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:

not really only a couple of times, I myself have typed LOL to someone but realistcally only of laughed inside my head. and had a complete blank face, but then again my face is quite blank most of the time.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 1:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM[/youtube]

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

tubular!! ! 8)

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 2:51 pm

Willard wrote:
[video]

Very funny indeed made me smile and chuckle somewhat too, So I would put it down mainly Americanism(no insult to every American(usa) so relax tho fellow cousins), Hollywood etc, as like I have like watched some films and like, well yes they say Like a lot in certain movies a lot and even more so over the past few years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:50 pm

Willard wrote:
[video]

Moon Unit introduced by Peggy Bundy. Priceless. Takes me right back to the Summer of 1982. It was a great parody of the San Fernando Valley Girl speak of the era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Girl_(song)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 8:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Moon Unit introduced by Peggy Bundy. Priceless. Takes me right back to the Summer of 1982. It was a great parody of the San Fernando Valley Girl speak of the era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Girl_(song)

now the funny thing to me (since i was living in central Florida when this was released, i remember it) is that we didn't know anything about San Fernando valley girls... all i knew (until this moment) was Moon Unit's interpretation.