ASD friendly ways of cooling room temperature

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 11:56 pm

Im wondering how others cool down when the temperature is too hot?

We are going into our first summer where I am now living and its getting unbearably hot, so am needing to cool down me and/or my room, however I have fairly severe sensory issues and cant handle the noise or movement of fans (and dont have a budget for one of the quiet heat pump things that also cool). My internal temperature regulation seems to be a bit broken and I overheat easily.

Thanks

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:12 am

Does your house have a basement? If so, take refuge there, since basements are usually underground and are usually cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

if not, does your house or apartment have central air conditioning? if it does, are there several thermostats that can control each zone for your comfort?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:16 am

the noise of the portable AC units actually has a bit of a calming drone to them AFAIC. I fall asleep to them. cool and noisy is better than hot and quiet. but I help things out by putting dark light-blocking cloth on all the sun-facing windows as well as wearing my birthday suit when it gets above a certain temp.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:10 am

Unfortunately, we dont have either a basement or central heating/cooling

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:12 am

On hot sunny days, you can hose down the side of the house that the sun is on. Just make sure the windows are shut first! :lol: The energy of the sun will absorbed by the water's evaporation. However, it only lasts until the water is gone and will drive up your water bill if you do it a lot. Plus it won't work as well when it is cloudy or humid.

Covering the windows like Auntblabby said is crucial. Even the windows on the opposite side of the house will leach heat in, so cover those too, especially if you also follow his advice about nudity. lol

If it doesn't bother your sensory issues, a cold shower will help a lot. Or you could just pour a bottle over your head like a runner. The cooling of your head from having wet hair makes your entire body feel better.

Shaved ice is good too. Manual ice shavers are easy to find in the summer and not too expensive. A bowl's worth of melting ice in the middle of your body is pretty efficient.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:16 am

when it got to over 110F I soaked towels in cold water and draped them over my torso, while sitting in front of a portable AC unit. also I have been known to stick my head in a bucket of cold water, blot out the excess dripping water, then return to the fan or AC unit and let the blowing air carry away the convecting heat off my head.