Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Neonhusky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2013, 11:55 pm

I have never been allowed an IEP :(

My mom has tried, but they say "she is to smart, she dosent need one" because I have good grades .

Is this fair???

I don't think it is :(

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:06 am

did you have a diagnosis on paper? if so they were breaking the law

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:46 am

What's an IEP?

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2013, 1:50 am

Legally I don't think they can do that.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:09 am

I got an IEP in elementary school .. I think you should go along with what they think, and see how you do .. although , always keep that as an option and consult your counselor.. express to them your thoughts, feelings.. and whatever else you want to convey .. maybe.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:09 am

If you have the diagnosis documented on paper, the school is legally required to give you services provided you need them. You might get your mom to push for a 504, they work very similarly to an IEP (that's "Individualized Education Plan," Tallyman) and are much easier to get. I had one even though I never had an official autism "diagnosis' (this was before they knew I had it) because of my very small stature, motor control issues and poor self-help skills (slow eating, walking, got lost on occasion) which were all due to my premature birth. If you have demonstrable difficulties in certain areas, the school is required to help regardless of your diagnosis status, however, having a diagnosis does allow them to more accurately pinpoint and tailor the types of services you need. I'd try for a 504 if I were you, provided you're still in public school that is. Colleges and universities have their own system for helping students with disabilities, which I've never used as I grew out of the issues that prompted me to need a 504.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 3:41 am

The problem with schools, is that unless you make it a problem for them, they will always settle for 'good enough'. That's very unfair to anyone who would be capable of personally achieving on a much higher level, if it wasn't for the school's 'one size fits all' system of education.

If you are doing 'good enough' despite problems, then you should still be given the opportunity to live up to your potential. In refusing you adaptations to the way that you're educated, your school is limiting your potential.

I say this as someone with an IQ just shy of 160, whose potential was seriously limited by a school system that provided absolutely no support at all. I passed exams thanks to an exceptional ability to remember anything I read, but did not manage any higher than average grades, because of very poor handwriting (using a computer was forbidden when I was at school, because only a few families had them at home), and difficulty communicating what I knew (aphasia, inability to recall on demand the words needed to describe a concept).

With just very basic accommodations, a straight C student could have been a straight A student, and could also have done well at college, instead of facing the same difficulties all over again.

jwells212121
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm

my 10 year old son has official document for PDD-Nos, by psychologist, and. he has been denied IEP services in Winchester, VA area since age 4. im tired of child studies, teachers posing as psychologists and threatening school officials that think they can diagnose your child better than a licensed psychologist. help! Im ready to involve a lawyer! just an intake is $300, when all I want to know, is can a lawyer tell me if this is illegal in the state of VA for the school to deny my son IEP. Anybody know the law in Winchester VA?

if you have the papers, the school should be legally required to provde FORMAL plan.
my son goes to Middle school next year - I know this isnt getting easier.

please, help, im at my wits end!! ! mother of son chris, jr

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 12:09 am

A lawyer could tell you free of charge over the phone most likely
look for one that specializes in disability advocacy

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 8:22 am

Wow that's really shocking. When I was in high school all I was diagnosed with was social anxiety and my general doctor actually wrote a note to my school saying that I needed to take a month off of school and they accepted that and then when I came back they worked on an IEP with me. And let me reiterate, all I was diagnosed with was social anxiety and I was still given an IEP and was put in special ed classes. I wasn't diagnosed with aspergers until 23 years old, so I'm glad I got that IEP and special ed classes. If you are diagnosed with aspergers and you're in high school, I can't see why they'd deny you an IEP. I dealt with the Special Education Supervisor at my school and she helped me through the process. Who have you tried talking with so far?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:02 pm

Neonhusky wrote:
I have never been allowed an IEP :(

My mom has tried, but they say "she is to smart, she dosent need one" because I have good grades .

Is this fair???

I don't think it is :(

I dont think its fair either I dont even think thats true, but then agian i had early intervention since i was 2, went to a special preschool and had an iep since kindergarten . How ever the special ed system was not fair on me either which i will be writing in another topic post

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5683545.html#5683545

jwells212121
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2013, 5:03 am

it isnt right and it isnt fair :( I agree

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

OP, what sort of accommodations would you request in an IEP? How would they help you achieve your potential? It might help to prepare a report (or ask your parents to do so) that outlines your problems, what the school can do about it, and how those accommodations can help you. Officials like shiny things, so if you put it in a pretty PowerPoint presentation or print it and put it in a little report cover, I guarantee that they'll listen better than if you and your parents just go in to explain. Also, include a copy of your diagnosis that explains any deficits, if you can, accompanied by a note from your doctor that clearly states that you need the school to change certain aspects of your environment. S/he does not need to say specifically what you need (that's what you should try to figure out), but s/he should say you need (a less-stressful environment, no group work, etc.) in a general statement.

Source: I'm a teacher. I have dazzled many officials by making something I've told them a billion times before look pretty. Also, if you POLITELY BUT FIRMLY make reasonable requests and FOLLOW-UP on them, officials are more likely to help you. It's a little "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar," and a little "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm

When I was in high school when the teachers took attendance, sometimes they left the smart board on and I could see who else had an IEP in my class. If they had a yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to their name, that means they had an IEP. Thats how I always knew who has one in my class. Often, I was the only one.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

Back when I was in Kindergarten, they had some sort of screening and I failed the test. I was diagnosed with receptive language disorder which means I had a hard time taking in language and understanding it so they put me on an IEP for that.

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade.

I wasn't diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism until 3rd grade when I was having issues at school.

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

No it's not fair but then the school system never was. It was designed by wealthy industrialists from the outset as a one size fits all system to produce workers. They had no concept of autism. They knew nothing about how the brain works. So they based their school system on the principles of dog training. Pavlovian conditioning is all you will get at any school. So while it's sad that they won't put the effort in to teach you with your needs, chances are, they aren't really teaching ANYONE in your class anything useful.

A well designed test can to a certain extent ascertain your aptitude for a specific activity, but the fact is the tests the state compels us to take are not well designed, they are little more than a lottery and a charade. They are designed to be easy to mark. That's all. That's the ONLY criteria for designing a school test. Is it easy to mark?