Oxytocin: The Asocial Cure? (TIME mag)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 3:37 am

Short article about this brain hormone. I found it's easier on the eyes in the TIME site

Oxytocin: The Asocial Cure?
By M.J. STEPHEY
Monday, Jul. 07, 2008

source:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 28,00.html

Quote:
For centuries artists have tried to capture the essence of love, and now scientists may have found it in the brain. Known as oxytocin (from the Latin word for "quick birth"), the naturally occurring hormone is best known for controlling contractions during labor, but it also plays a key role in other fundamental human urges — including the desire to connect with others. "Somehow, the peptide increases trust, or alters the way individuals see each other," says Tom Insel, director of the National Institute for Mental Health.

Without oxytocin people would be far less inclined to seek social interaction, let alone fall in love and mate for life (or, as scientists call it, "pair bond"). The brain releases gobs of it during orgasm, mothers are awash in it during breastfeeding and, in clinical trials, a spritz of oxytocin has been shown to reduce anxiety, increase feelings of generosity and even ease the symptoms of shyness. Conversely, researchers are beginning to discover that low levels of the hormone — or the body's faulty response to it — may contribute to severe social dysfunctions like depression and autism.

Most previous research on oxytocin has focused on animals. (Prairie voles are famous for their oxytocin-inspired behavior: they're fiercely monogamous lovers and caring parents.) But more recently, scientists have begun to determine how oxytocin functions in the human brain — or, more specifically, how it malfunctions. Studies have shown that people with autism tend to have low levels of oxytocin, as well as hyperactivity in the amygdala, where most oxytocin receptors are located. The amygdala is also where memories are formed, and where our brains process and assign emotional meaning to sensory information — that is, where we turn perception (seeing someone smile) into "neuroception" (understanding the feeling of happiness that the smile reflects), according to Stephen Porges, a psychologist at the University of Illinois in Chicago. So, misfirings in the amygdala, in tandem with low oxytocin, may help explain why people with autism have trouble distinguishing between happy expressions and angry ones, making social interaction difficult and unpleasant.

Early studies of oxytocin's role in social interaction have yielded some interesting results. In a small 2006 experiment, Dr. Eric Hollander of New York's Mt. Sinai School of Medicine administered oxytocin and a placebo intravenously to 15 autistic adult patients; afterward, those who received oxytocin were better able to decipher emotions in tone of voice. Moreover, these improvements in social awareness lasted for nearly two weeks. In 2006, Hollander filed a patent for the use of oxytocin to treat symptoms of autism spectrum disorders; the request is still pending. Other investigators at Mt. Sinai have also found that oxytocin nasal sprays enhance autistic patients' ability to interpret facial expressions. Finally, in studies by Paul Zak, director of the Center for Neuroeconomics Studies in Claremont, Calif., small doses of inhaled oxytocin spray reduced anxiety and wariness of strangers in healthy volunteers; in one trial, the hormone made people feel more generous and trusting with their money.

For the oxytocin-deficient among us, the hormone is commercially available on the Internet in the form of a nasal spray — new mothers sometimes use it to trigger the release of breast milk (and nearly half of all women who give birth in the U.S. receive a synthetic version of the hormone, Pitocin, intravenously to induce labor). But some entrepreneurs are already touting oxytocin as a shyness cure. One website hawks a "trust elixir," an oxytocin-laced perfume that its manufacturers say will make its wearers seem more trustworthy to others — and vice versa.

There's no telling whether it works — products like these aren't classified as drugs, so they aren't evaluated by the FDA — but, at least in theory, it ought to make love or lust or trust bloom a little faster. That's not unlike the drug ecstasy, which triggers the release of serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin in the brain, and heightens users' feelings of trust and intimacy, even among complete strangers. Concerns that oxytocin might be similarly abused as a recreational drug seem unfounded, however, given that the hormone doesn't produce a high, says zoologist Sue Carter of the University of Illinois at Chicago, who pioneered oxytocin research in voles.

Oxytocin may be something of a wonder compound, spurring childbirth and creating love, but it's not exactly a performance enhancer and certainly not a cure-all — not for shyness or autism or any other social dysfunction. "The nervous system is not just oxytocin. There are many other hormones that might be just as important as oxytocin thathaven't been identified yet," Carter says. "A piece of social support is oxytocin. That doesn't mean that oxytocin alone equals social support."

But if a shot of oxytocin is what you want, there are other, more natural ways to boost the hormone's production. Massage, petting a dog, even eating food with a friend can trigger the chemical's release, says Zak. So can sensorimotor or "mind-body" therapies, like breathing exercises and yoga, which help people cope with their emotions by controlling their body's physical reaction to stress and fear. "We should look at other waysto juice the system without having to put two spoons of liquid up your nose every four hours," Zak says.

Preliminary findings may be intriguing, but most oxytocin researchers remain skeptical about its widespread clinical use. "If you feel safe and allow yourself to feel safe, you can learn, you can cooperate with others, you can build societies," says Carter. "Now does that mean we should runaround and spray everyone with oxytocin? I don't think so."

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 6:07 am

Is not the first time I've heard of this. Its actually very scientifically sound. However, I'm wondering if we'll all be separated into type 1 and type 2 autistics now. That is, those that don't produce enough oxytocin and those that produce plenty, but don't respond to it. That's exactly the way it is with diabetics. Insulin is another hormone.

Has anyone here actually tried oxytocin? I would love to.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 7:20 am

I've read that MDMA releases Oxytocin. Which as a disclaimer I am going to say I do not recomend anyone on here seeking MDMA to help them with relief from their autism/other related neurological disorder.
From my personal experience of MDMA it was incredible, and it did help me feel relaxed, and less 'egocentric'.
However it is not a drug that I personally recomend for the treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders, primarily out of fears of Neurotixicity, secondly it is a drug that induces a state that can leave the user far to vunerable to other people (especially those not on the drug, for instance if you are in a pub and you are meeting strangers and they're not used to the 'E experience' then they may take offense to someone being like 'YEAH I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!! ! Woah! YEAH! I feel like I've known you for AGES!! ! Man give me a hug...' [The stranger that the person on MDMA is talking to is very drunk. Also he perplexed by uneccesary display of affection from some very odd person he has just met. Furthermore this 'odd' person happens to look very bizare, for one his eyes are wingling about, his paralinguistics are strange- he is leaning his right elbow on the bar and supporting the side of his face with his right hand, his left hand is stroking his own hair, and his voice has a spaced out a mellow ring to it. The drunk stranger still unsure of why this 'odd' person has been this open to him, and just down right bizare he begins to suspect that this person is either a Sciencetologist or coming on to him (the drunk strangr is a homophobe) he lashes out breaking the nose of the 'loved-up' stranger. Which ofcourse you'll agree is not a pleasant outcome, and if that can be avoided it should), thirdly at the moment it is a class A drug (to me I believe it is wrong that it is a class A, as in comparission to other Class A drugs the risks are much lower. Forinstance using Cocaine as an example- Cocaine causes roughly 200% more deaths per year than MDMA, Cocaine is much more addictive, Cocaine no longer has an accepted medical use whereas MDMA may potentially be used to treat those suffering from PTSD- although the clinical trials are still underway and it would be a big step if it got the go ahead.) which means it is illegal to posses and so on in the UK, thirdly the side effects may prevent functioning to such an extent that the small bonus of getting along with others is over shadowed by frustrating effects such nystagmus, pupil dilation, halucinations (generally should be minor although can vary, and considering at the moment the only way for a member of the public to get hold of it is illegally you could expect to find a wide variety of other halucingenic substances in an XTC tablet or 'wrap' of MDMA ranging from chemicals from the phenethlyamine family such as PMA, MDA (and other MD type drugs), to disociatives like DXM, Ketamine, PCP, all the way to 'designer drugs' like BZP, TFMP and many more chemicals each with their own risks different to MDMA.)

Anyway sorry if that's abit much, and also if I've got anything wrong. I just thought it may have been an interesting point to raise. Although it maybe helpful to suggest that there are other 'MD' type chemicals which may release oxytocin, but have fewer side effects that should be investigated such as MDMC or MBDB as from what I've read they have mlder however similiar effects. It would be very interesting if they could be trials into areas like that, and hopefully they could find a chemical that could provide symptomatic relief from Autism, just like Methylphenidate/other psychostimulants/noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors can provide relief from some AD/HD or ADD behaviours.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 7:32 am

i believe MDMA (ecstasy) acts partially as an Oxytocin Reuptake Inhibitor, so it would increase brain oxytocin levels. Low therapeutic doses may have a positive effect on those on the autistic spectrum, but i'm not sure if anyone's researching it, people might not like the idea of medicating with a recreational drug, despite stimulants being one of the most prescribed medications out there. I've never tried mdma so i can't comment on it effectiveness, but it would be interesting to see if it could help.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 7:47 am

X mainly overloads your brain with seratonin... which gives you the happy effect. n

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:03 am

ramsamsam wrote:

From my personal experience of MDMA it was incredible, and it did help me feel relaxed, and less 'egocentric'.

I was wondering if anyone has tried MDMA in lower doses that might limit the weird side effects in public that you mentioned when used as a treatment for autism. Possibly in combination with pure oxytocin.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:05 am

Sedaka wrote:
X mainly overloads your brain with seratonin... which gives you the happy effect. n

it does the same to oxytocin and vassopressin, it does a lot of things.
n4mwd wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried MDMA in lower doses that might limit the weird side effects in public that you mentioned when used as a treatment for autism. Possibly in combination with pure oxytocin.

i've wondered the same thing, and have considered trying it if i knew i could find completely pure stuff. i'm not looking for it though, although i could find it pretty easily.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 12:43 pm

"...in one trial, the hormone made people feel more generous and trusting with their money."

Oh no :(

aspiemom1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2008, 2:13 pm

I was given large doses of pitocin and oxytocin when I had both of my children to NO effect. I mean zero effect on my mood/shyness etc. (worked way too well for the contractions, but oh well).

I'm not buying this theory. Also, maybe someone can answer this for me, but I was told in labor that only women have ocy/pit in their systems, so if that is true, then why on earth would a man want that?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 4:17 pm

^^ it's released for example in an orgasm, so it's in both males and females.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
"...in one trial, the hormone made people feel more generous and trusting with their money."

yes, warning! 8O

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:08 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

I sure hope they don't sell our names to spammers.I might actually read one.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:18 pm

aspiemom1 wrote:
I was given large doses of pitocin and oxytocin when I had both of my children to NO effect. I mean zero effect on my mood/shyness etc. (worked way too well for the contractions, but oh well).

I'm not buying this theory. Also, maybe someone can answer this for me, but I was told in labor that only women have ocy/pit in their systems, so if that is true, then why on earth would a man want that?

Large doses are routinely given AFTER delivery of a baby to contract the uterus. That helps prevent hemorrhage.

It usually also helps the mother with infant bonding and milk letdown so she has an easier time breastfeeding.

Like the article says, some people have an issue with being insensitive to oxytocin.

True story: A few years back, there were these two teen boys that broke into a drug store at night and robbed them of oxycontin to sell on the streets. They tried the stuff themselves. Only it wasn't oxycontin, it was oxytocin. They had misread the bottle. Turns out that they were so trusting and friendly that they gave the cops a full confession.

The weird part is that oxytocin is an injection whereas oxycontin is a pill. Because the dosage is so small, the boys probably gave themselves a whopper of a dose too.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 6:11 pm

l-arginine release oxytocin

ryry85
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2008, 7:13 am

aspiemom1 wrote:

have a look on the net, it says in a lot of places that men and women have the hormone in thier systems

maybe this is the core of my problems, i dont trust anybody on just about any level

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2008, 1:49 pm

Times which I have had a lower dose of MDMA it was less noticable. Although MDMA can effect short term memory quite badly.
Prior to going to a legal 'Rave' (Pendulum DJ and others), I had ingested about 200mg of MDMA and I had lost my ticket.
However on the plus side i made up with a friend, met a woman and got along well with her listening to her and being very empathetic (she was quite upset about an ex boyfriend who had killed himself), and then met my last girlfiend (she had noted that I didn't seem shy.).
It was quite annoying after it had worn off about 5 hours later and I didn't feel much like dancing (partly out of fears of hyperthermia and dehydration, and mostly because I just wanted to sleep and go home as I was feeling fairly depressed and a little 'unreal'.).

Quote:
X mainly overloads your brain with seratonin... which gives you the happy effect.

It apparently inhibits noradrenaline, adrenaline, and dopamine as well. Infact I've read in this book called 'This Is Ecstacy' that has a theory on why MDMA maybe Neurotoxic to the serotonin receptors. Because it releases so much dopmine, which damages the seritonin receptors, and if you administer a drug that destroys the dopamine receptors then apply MDMA no damage to seritonin occurs. *I may not remember it so well, so probably best to check for yourselves, and also it's not advisable to ingest any anything that will destroy your dopamine receptors then MDMA. for one I think poor firing of dopamine receptors can also be part of the problem with autism (as well as with AD/HD and schizophrenia), and two the only drug I can think that would do that would be MPP (I think that's is what it is called, apparently appeared as an adulterent in some heroin) and that pretty much induces parkinsons.).*

The biggest problem with using MDMA to treat ASD's would be the abuse potential, and because of the the likely hood that alot of drug abusers/dealers would then seek a diagnoses or forge presriptions just to get hold of it.
Perhaps had the whole process of regulating it in America in '84 not occured, and instead clinical trials were initiated into its effectiveness of treating PTSD/Particularly bad anxiety disorders and then if it got approved for use then it's recreational potential would not have been as recognised. Instead it would have probably been seen as a drug like Diazepam (which is abused, however many of those that I know who use drugs often belittle the worth of prescription drugs, for instance a friend of mine and I were sitting at my house, he noticed my persription (not of diazepam, but of a medication with an abuse potentional), and before I could object had taken four tablets, this caused me to feel anxious, and he wouldn't listen to my concerns of how much of a stupid idea that was 'No man, just chill out this a perscription man. It's not going to kill me.' which it didn't although apparently he couldn't eat for four days. So in my opinion if it wasn't widely known to be a dug of abuse in the first place then people would just think 'NAH that's going to be shi t' Although I could be wrong).

So I guess it's up to researchers to find a chemical that is not known to have much of an abuse potential (yet), that releases just enough Oxytocin, maybe some seritonin, some dopamine, and maybe noradrenaline. Infact if they can fnd a fairly safe chemical with all that, then it could probably be used to treat alot of mental health difficuties ranging from Attention Deficit Disorders, Depression, and maybe some personalitie disorders.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 3:11 pm

I would worry it might have the same "down" as MDMA, whether it gives you a high or not. If I take a dose of Oxytocin on Saturday night to socialize at a party, am I going to be crying and suicidal on Tuesday?