Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2015, 2:27 pm

My current problem with school is that it severely limits my interests, causing me to become distressed. I do only want to work on physics and mathematics, nothing else other than that. This is of course damaging to my grades, I can barely even learn physics because of the pressure to study, but due to my lack of motivation I simply can not do it.

What exactly can I do about this? I do only need physics, nothing else. School is limiting my freedom and they are expecting me to correct the mistakes when I am the one being forced there, not really my problem.

Any helpful tips?

I am in the second grade out of three in high school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 2:29 pm

You're like Einstein.

Alas, these days, a high school diploma is more valued than it was in Einstein's day.

Please...at least get a high school diploma, get it over with--then you could go to University for physics and mathematics.

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2015, 3:02 pm

That is what I had in mind. I will aim for E-C on every subject at the moment so that I can get a guaranteed position.

When I am studying maths I am usually aware of my incompetence, inadequate abilities and that stuff. Many people are regarding me as an exceptionally "intelligent" person but I do not believe them. What should I do about this? I can not accept the fact that I am good at anything, would that require a psychological evaluation in order to get a proper solution?

Might be a bit off topic but it is very much correlated with my grades, as this usually divides my motivation by zero.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm

Quantum wrote:
My current problem with school is that it severely limits my interests, causing me to become distressed.

Hey! be glad that's the least of your worries. When I was in school, I had to watch my back all the time. I had no friends and all enemies in school.

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2015, 3:17 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Quantum wrote:
My current problem with school is that it severely limits my interests, causing me to become distressed.

Hey! be glad that's the least of your worries. When I was in school, I had to watch my back all the time. I had no friends and all enemies in school.

Who said that I do have friends?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 3:31 pm

Quantum wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
Quantum wrote:

Who said that I do have friends?

Because I too, was into math and science and found the school system to be limiting to my interest as well. But it was the constant bullying from the other students that was the more pressing concern for me at the time.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

Schools including colleges make you take classes that you have no interest in the topics and hate the topics esp. english and essay writing that I hated. But I still had to get through those classes and do well in them to pursue my science interests at high level, which I cannot get to unless I also do well in non-interest classes. So there was really no solution for me but to pursue all classes and try to do well in all classes regardless of interest.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:49 pm

I hate school and school subjects and work so much, its boring I'm not intrested in it, I wish if we had the chance to choose what we like to study in school Xc

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 10:00 pm

See if your school has a counselor or tutor that could maybe help you with some time-management.
It's probably best that you just work through the classes you don't like for now, and then spend your extra/off time focusing on the classes you do like.
Don't EVER divide by zero !
8O

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 11:39 pm

olympiadis wrote:

And here why!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 12:22 am

....that video is now going to be my response to anything I find to be extremely confusing or nonsensical, or just idiotic.

Anyway, on the note of school.... there really isnt much you can do about it.

I think the worst part of it is teachers always trying to convince the students that yes, they need such-and-such subject later in life! You cant do without it! You've gotta know this stuff!

In my experience, that's a big load of crap. I knew full darn well that 95% of the crap they were trying to get me to pay attention to was bloody useless. Even when their reasoning almost made sense: "Well you're into computers, right? You gotta know all this math stuff for that!". Nope. When programming I just figure out by pure logic... not by having memorized mathematical formulas... what needs to go where in order to get the thing to do what I want, which works out well because it's the computer that actually SOLVES the blasted equations; I just need to figure out what I need it to solve. And of course that's not even speaking of all the other junk like history or literature or worse, things like "shop" class (I dunno if that's what they call it now) which was pointlessly learning to make things out of, I dunno, wood or whatever. The vast majority of all of that stuff was and is and always will be useless to me. The ONE major thing I learned in high school is how to type properly. That's IT. Everything else? Useless. All of the stuff I DO know now, I learned on my own, and the school would have proved incapable of teaching it to me. Computers and programming and that sort of thing for example. The computer-related classes were always really basic level stuff, things that were utterly mindless to me. I'd started programming around age 7 or 8, and this was back in the days of DOS, before Windows was even a thing. I knew how to use the stupid machines. Pointing this out, though, would accomplish nothing, they'd still want to "make sure you know the basics", which... makes no sense. And my love of books and reading didnt come from literature classes or whatever, I got into that on my own.

And that's the whole problem with the school system, I think. They dont actually KNOW quite what to teach to different groups of students, so they just throw absolutely everything into a blender and just hope it accomplishes something, and hope that they dont look like idiots in the process.

Aint anything you can do about it except put up with it, unfortunately. The really irritating part is that much of the time, even colleges will make you do this unnecessary crap even when your focus is very clearly elsewhere.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 1:02 am

LupaLuna wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

And here why!

:lol:

That chip technology we took from the crashed alien ship can't handle it.
The aliens didn't anticipate doing stupid things like dividing by zero.
"Welcome to Earth"

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 2:46 am

Misery wrote:
The really irritating part is that much of the time, even colleges will make you do this unnecessary crap even when your focus is very clearly elsewhere.

That's what really bugs me. especially when you have to start paying for school. If I'm gonna spent money on anything. I'd better be getting a return on my investment.